Quick glycogen depletion

• This topic has 16 voices and 51 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author

CCT

What is the best workout for quickly using up significant amounts of glycogen?  Workout should be less than 45 mins

Phatty

HIIT.Heavy, high volume full body workout with shorter rest periods (30-45 sec).

tzanghi
    Participant

I would add(although it probably fits in Phatty's second option) CrossFit assuming you have no training goals other than depleting glycogen.HIIT is still the best glycogen depletion activity that does not affect other training goals such as strength and hypertrophy.

staralur03

Thrusters. Burpees. Wallballs. Row sprints if you have access to a row machine. Grab some weights, put a timer on, and push yourself.

T-Bone300

HIIT.Heavy, high volume full body workout with shorter rest periods (30-45 sec).

+1 just remember it's the short rest intervals which help deplete the glycogen Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I think Kiefer said 1:2 HIIT for six rounds will pretty much deplete nearly all your glycogen.  Keep in mind this is an absolutely brutal HIIT workout.If you are asking about weight lifting routine.  I would stick to big multijoint movements done with heavy weight, high volume, and very short rest periods.  I wouldn't go any less than 70% on lifts.A less effective method of glycogen depletion would just be really high volume strength training.  That is rest periods of 2-3 mins.  This would be like all the Russian strength training programs that use a lot volume.

Gl;itch.e

I assume you are meaning muscle glycogen OP, because liver glycogen is pretty much gone after an and 8 hour fast (i.e sleeping) Muscle burns primarily fat at rest, so this begs the question on the importance of depleting glycogen for fat loss. Whats the point of muscle glycogen depleting workouts except to allow more carb consumption? Unless you need the HIIT cardio for sport/work or general health I see no real gain here. Just an increase in stress hormones and their detrimental effects.

Gl;itch.e

If you are asking about weight lifting routine.  I would stick to big multijoint movements done with heavy weight, high volume, and very short rest periods.  I wouldn't go any less than 70% on lifts.

again Id ask the question are we doing this for fatloss or just to get to eat more carbs? If its the former then its been shown that longer rest periods actually result in more fat loss when strength training. Greater than 1 minute + I believe.

TCB
    Participant

If you are asking about weight lifting routine.  I would stick to big multijoint movements done with heavy weight, high volume, and very short rest periods.  I wouldn't go any less than 70% on lifts.

again Id ask the question are we doing this for fatloss or just to get to eat more carbs? If its the former then its been shown that longer rest periods actually result in more fat loss when strength training. Greater than 1 minute + I believe.

I think Kiefer said (in the podcast where he interviews the Gain Fitness App guys) that the fat burning is best with rest period of 1-3 minutes. Simply because that's enough rest time for your body to think the stress is over and switch back from glycogen to fatty acids, then just when it doesn't know any better and is burning fat, it's time for another set.If I remember right, he broke it down as something like 0:30-1:00 is best for hypertrophy and glycogen depletion, 1:00-3:00 for fat burning, 3:00-5:00 for all out strength/CNS efforts.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I think Kiefer said (in the podcast where he interviews the Gain Fitness App guys) that the fat burning is best with rest period of 1-3 minutes. Simply because that's enough rest time for your body to think the stress is over and switch back from glycogen to fatty acids, then just when it doesn't know any better and is burning fat, it's time for another set.If I remember right, he broke it down as something like 0:30-1:00 is best for hypertrophy and glycogen depletion, 1:00-3:00 for fat burning, 3:00-5:00 for all out strength/CNS efforts.

When the volume and intensity is high, things change.  You have view the effect of the workout as a whole, not just a simple nutshell view of output time and rest.  This actually comes straight from Kiefer in the Shockwave video.  I also know this is true from my experience with Sheiko.  I rested at least 2 min between sets, but because there was so much volume I blew through my glycogen stores.Also @ Glitche, it is useful to deplete yourself of glycogen.  You will burn more body fat.  Even if you are fat adapted your muscles still empty glycogen stores in a few low carb days, even with no training.  Depleting glycogen speeds up this progress.  This is why Kiefer recommends HIIT.However I am not a fan depleting yourself just for the sake of it.  People who do that tend not to do well, despite it making sense theoretically.

staralur03

Also @ Glitche, it is useful to deplete yourself of glycogen.  You will burn more body fat.  Even if you are fat adapted your muscles still empty glycogen stores in a few low carb days, even with no training.

I've been wondering about this. I was imaging it would become harder to deplete your reserves as you became fat adapted.

TCB
    Participant

Also @ Glitche, it is useful to deplete yourself of glycogen.  You will burn more body fat.  Even if you are fat adapted your muscles still empty glycogen stores in a few low carb days, even with no training.

I've been wondering about this. I was imaging it would become harder to deplete your reserves as you became fat adapted.

It shouldn't, at least not by much if any. Your body has different metabolic pathways based on your exertion, so if you can put in some solid work in the glycolytic pathway, you should be tapping into those glycogen stores. Plus just by being ULC for a couple days in a row, you will slowly burn through glycogen and become depleted anyway.

tzanghi
    Participant

It is harder to deplete your reserves when you are fat adapted as opposed to taking in a carb-dominant diet.  If you're carb adapted, simply 1-2 ULC days with a heavy workout will deplete your reserves because your body is expecting the carbs to roll in.  But Ibob is right that for most, you will still steadily lose glycogen by going ULC.Some claim to become so fat adapted that your body can restore glycogen if you're not doing glycogen demanding training(e.g., strength only training);  I've tried purely ketogenic stuff for up to 10 days, but I found myself completely lackluster in the weight room.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

It shouldn't, at least not by much if any. Your body has different metabolic pathways based on your exertion, so if you can put in some solid work in the glycolytic pathway, you should be tapping into those glycogen stores. Plus just by being ULC for a couple days in a row, you will slowly burn through glycogen and become depleted anyway.

It does take a little bit longer to deplete glycogen stores when you are fat adapted, but it does occur after a couple days without carbs. 

Derekcerva
    Participant

I assume you are meaning muscle glycogen OP, because liver glycogen is pretty much gone after an and 8 hour fast (i.e sleeping) Muscle burns primarily fat at rest, so this begs the question on the importance of depleting glycogen for fat loss. Whats the point of muscle glycogen depleting workouts except to allow more carb consumption? Unless you need the HIIT cardio for sport/work or general health I see no real gain here. Just an increase in stress hormones and their detrimental effects.

assuming to eat more carbohydrates was the goal would adding hit preworkout allow for bigger feeds? or just an increase on a smaller muscle group day?or is this advised against normally?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Quick glycogen depletion

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?