Quick glycogen depletion

• This topic has 16 voices and 51 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I assume you are meaning muscle glycogen OP, because liver glycogen is pretty much gone after an and 8 hour fast (i.e sleeping) Muscle burns primarily fat at rest, so this begs the question on the importance of depleting glycogen for fat loss. Whats the point of muscle glycogen depleting workouts except to allow more carb consumption? Unless you need the HIIT cardio for sport/work or general health I see no real gain here. Just an increase in stress hormones and their detrimental effects.

assuming to eat more carbohydrates was the goal would adding hit preworkout allow for bigger feeds? or just an increase on a smaller muscle group day?or is this advised against normally?

In theory yes, but I wouldn't I do this.  People who do this tend not to get good results.  Workout to build muscle and eat the carbs you have to.

Derekcerva
    Participant

thanks thats what i had been doing because i love to ea and dont really have the mass to accommodate for that, never body pounding exhaustion hiit just like 10-15min of it before lifting

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

thanks thats what i had been doing because i love to ea and dont really have the mass to accommodate for that, never body pounding exhaustion hiit just like 10-15min of it before lifting

Don't get me wrong, I know how you feel.  To me there is no better feeling than training really hard and just going home and eating your face off.I would just increase training volume to be honest.  That will give you more mass and more glycogen depletion. 

Derekcerva
    Participant

yea its a struggle man, i do that too, can you have too much volume though? because i find that i want to keep going even after like 15-20 sets, and im doing weights i can get about 10 reps out of so its not  a matter of using light weightim just curious because i love doing super high volume

Richard Schmitt

Have you tried using a Main movement with 30 second rests for like 5-5 sets?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

yea its a struggle man, i do that too, can you have too much volume though? because i find that i want to keep going even after like 15-20 sets, and im doing weights i can get about 10 reps out of so its not  a matter of using light weightim just curious because i love doing super high volume

Of course you can do more volume.  Just slowly add it in.  After a month or so of doing high volume, slowly taper it back.  Then just repeat the cycle.  Your body will compensate.  This is how you build work capacity.The only recommendation I have is to keep workouts an hour or less.  If you end up training for more than an hour, the quality of the work goes down the crapper and you end up stressing your body out for nothing.  Do your more intense stuff first and then do the easier exercises for as many sets/reps as you like.  Toss in supersets and short rest periods for these if you want to do even more.  If you reach an hour and you still want to do more work, too bad, your done go home.  Consider adding in a short 20 minute workout the next day if you reall want to do more.Doing this over the years I built up the ability to handle massive training volumes to the point that I can train everyday.  Granted I can only train intensely four days a week, the other three days I still do quality work that builds muscle.

Have you tried using a Main movement with 30 second rests for like 5-5 sets?

I personally wouldn't do that for the main movements except maybe bench presses and OHP.  It's dangerous and a really inefficient way of building muscle.  Do that stuff for stuff dips, pullups, leg presses, and hyperextensions

TCB
    Participant

I assume you are meaning muscle glycogen OP, because liver glycogen is pretty much gone after an and 8 hour fast (i.e sleeping) Muscle burns primarily fat at rest, so this begs the question on the importance of depleting glycogen for fat loss. Whats the point of muscle glycogen depleting workouts except to allow more carb consumption? Unless you need the HIIT cardio for sport/work or general health I see no real gain here. Just an increase in stress hormones and their detrimental effects.

assuming to eat more carbohydrates was the goal would adding hit preworkout allow for bigger feeds? or just an increase on a smaller muscle group day?or is this advised against normally?

In theory yes, but I wouldn't I do this.  People who do this tend not to get good results.  Workout to build muscle and eat the carbs you have to.

^^^If you want to burn more glycogen to justify eating more carbs, might as well do it in a useful way. Squat. Always- when in doubt, squat.

CBachelor17

^^^If you want to burn more glycogen to justify eating more carbs, might as well do it in a useful way. Squat. Always- when in doubt, squat.

^^ +1 ^^ LOVE IT!!

I think Kiefer said 1:2 HIIT for six rounds will pretty much deplete nearly all your glycogen.  Keep in mind this is an absolutely brutal HIIT workout.If you are asking about weight lifting routine.  I would stick to big multijoint movements done with heavy weight, high volume, and very short rest periods.  I wouldn't go any less than 70% on lifts.A less effective method of glycogen depletion would just be really high volume strength training.  That is rest periods of 2-3 mins.  This would be like all the Russian strength training programs that use a lot volume.

Why would high volume strength training be  a less effective method of glycogen depletion?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I think Kiefer said 1:2 HIIT for six rounds will pretty much deplete nearly all your glycogen.  Keep in mind this is an absolutely brutal HIIT workout.If you are asking about weight lifting routine.  I would stick to big multijoint movements done with heavy weight, high volume, and very short rest periods.  I wouldn't go any less than 70% on lifts.A less effective method of glycogen depletion would just be really high volume strength training.  That is rest periods of 2-3 mins.  This would be like all the Russian strength training programs that use a lot volume.

Why would high volume strength training be  a less effective method of glycogen depletion?

It is not the type of exercise that targets the glycolytic system very well.  The glycolytic system is targeted best with work output of 30-60 seconds.  However if it is done for a really high volume and intensity it will do a pretty good job of depleting glycogen, despite not being the most effecient method to do so.  Most people also will be unable to do this type of training.So as Glitche pointed out earlier, powerlifting workouts will not deplete much glycogen IF it is done for a low volume (which is rather common).  However, if the volume is very high it will deplete glycogen.Doing sets of 8-15 with short rest periods (30-45 seconds) is probably the most efficient way to deplete glycogen via weight training, assuming high exertion.  The most efficient method overall for depleting glycogen is HIIT.

heychikadee
    Participant

Well I don't know about everyone else but the high volume strength training I do in a Les Mills Body Pump class sure as heck feels like it smashes all my glycogen to smithereens.

Well I don't know about everyone else but the high volume strength training I do in a Les Mills Body Pump class sure as heck feels like it smashes all my glycogen to smithereens.

Body pump isn't really strength training. It's more cardio with added resistance.It will use a lot of glycogen though.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Well I said it does.  But Les Mills Body Pump isn't strength training so that's not what we are talking about.

heychikadee
    Participant

Yeah I wasn't trying to be a smart arse I was just saying that particular class does it for me. My bad, I thought strength training by definition meant increasing your strength and that BodyPump classes could do this. Personally, when I first started BP I squatted with 2.5kg plus the bar. Now I can do 20kg plus the bar and I'm working my way to 25kg, thought that would mean I'm strength training. Dammit.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Yeah I wasn't trying to be a smart arse I was just saying that particular class does it for me. My bad, I thought strength training by definition meant increasing your strength and that BodyPump classes could do this. Personally, when I first started BP I squatted with 2.5kg plus the bar. Now I can do 20kg plus the bar and I'm working my way to 25kg, thought that would mean I'm strength training. Dammit.

We are talking about traditional strength training like doing sets of 1-8 reps with plenty of rest in between

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Quick glycogen depletion

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?