Reeves Deadlift

• This topic has 3 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Has anyone ever done Reeves deadlifts?  It seems like it would be a great way to increase grip strength, specifically pinching.

haha you read about them in last months mag issue too? yeah they look interesting… but idk about you but I would not be able to use an Olympic bar, I don't have that kind of wing span.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Haha I did read that in M&F, but I knew about them prior til then because I am a fan of Steve Reeves.  I tried them and yea since I am only 5'6″ my arms aren't long enough to really pinch the plates well.  I was only able to do 95 lbs.I know John Meadows is a fan of Reeves Deadlifts.

I wonder if you can use a preloaded barbell since those are shorter obviously. I say that because not everyone has different bars in their gym.To me because I have had shoulder issues, I would be scared of that static pressure on shoulders and chest. I think this would be a great move for someone in strong man comps.

Meni

haha you read about them in last months mag issue too? yeah they look interesting... but idk about you but I would not be able to use an Olympic bar, I don't have that kind of wing span.

Keep it simple bro, jesus, are you deadlifting 2x your bodyweight? no, then try to, if you can then try for 2.5x.

RagE

Just do some heavy deads, Kroc rows, or farmers walks if you want to bring your grip strength up. 

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Just do some heavy deads, Kroc rows, or farmers walks if you want to bring your grip strength up.

There is a difference between a power grip (Thats the ergonomics term for gripping a barbell or dumbell) and pinching.  Pinching uses your thumb muscle more and less of your forearms.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

haha you read about them in last months mag issue too? yeah they look interesting... but idk about you but I would not be able to use an Olympic bar, I don't have that kind of wing span.

Keep it simple bro, jesus, are you deadlifting 2x your bodyweight? no, then try to, if you can then try for 2.5x.

I can deadlift 2.5 times my bodyweight.

JoeyWaters

I don't think that grip strength is the main point of this movement.  There would be a tremendous amount of force on the plates from pulling in on them just to perform the movement, which would negate a lot of the downward pull of the weight, thus taking the thumb out of the equation.  Here is a video of Shelby Starnes doing them, notice how little weight he is using to achieve the desired result of the exercise.  I can't see his grip giving out on this any time soon.http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/default.asp?qid=120739&tid=I have seen him go heavier with an EZ curl bar and he makes a point to use plates with a grip 'hole'.  That also leads me to believe that grip isn't the target of this movement.It seems to me that pinch-grip strength would be better trained by pinching a couple of 25s or 45s together and pulling them straight up off the floor. Give the Reeves DLs a shot and maybe I am completely wrong.  Let us know what you find!

devilmanVISA

I don't think that grip strength is the main point of this movement.  There would be a tremendous amount of force on the plates from pulling in on them just to perform the movement, which would negate a lot of the downward pull of the weight, thus taking the thumb out of the equation.  Here is a video of Shelby Starnes doing them, notice how little weight he is using to achieve the desired result of the exercise.  I can't see his grip giving out on this any time soon.http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/default.asp?qid=120739&tid=Pretty much dead on.Also, John and Shelby both use handled plates to do these. John includes it as a yoke building movement, not a grip building movement. Sure they will hit your grip if done pinch style, but as said above, pinch gripping plates/dumbell heads/etc will hit grip a great deal harder.I have seen him go heavier with an EZ curl bar and he makes a point to use plates with a grip 'hole'.  That also leads me to believe that grip isn't the target of this movement.It seems to me that pinch-grip strength would be better trained by pinching a couple of 25s or 45s together and pulling them straight up off the floor. Give the Reeves DLs a shot and maybe I am completely wrong.  Let us know what you find!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Reeves Deadlift

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?