ReOrientation Questions/Comments/Concerns

• This topic has 6 voices and 18 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

HeatherPrimeaux
    Keymaster

Hello!  I started my ReOrientation on Friday, with my hubby, so that our Carb Nite would fall on Christmas Day.  My plan was to follow the Meal Plans exactly, but there seems to be a lot of fish involved and I can't stand the stuff so I'm doing this on my own and I hope I'm not screwing things up.  We seem to be eating a lot of steamed vegetables with garlic and butter and salt/pepper for seasoning which we are totally fine with since we love veggies.  Trying to be creative with meat so we dont get bored but I am running out of ideas.  I know Heavy Whipping Cream is ok (since it is called for in the coffee recipes) but we may be overdoing it using it for sauces and such.  Is that reallllllly bad??? please tell me no.  We have cut out soda completely, GOD I miss my Diet Coke, but found the Hansen's Diet Soda recommended in the book and we are slipping some of those in.  Otherwise it's diet Tea and Diet Snapple.  Snacks are consisting of pepperoni, cheese, summer sausage, dijon mustard, Gogurt, sausages, lil'smokies, some nuts, and sugar free jello. My husband LOVES cheese, but he is actually getting tired of it....any help/comments/suggestions would be appreciated!!  Please let me know if we need to change anything to make this work.  I am completely committed and want this to succeed.  I need it.  Thank you!! 

6by6

looks pretty good except for the gogurt seems like it would have a lot of carbs. Not sure how much heavy cream you use but it contains only trace amount of carbs so it shouldnt be too bad. I use a lot as well makes a sauce for any protein I am using that day. Not sure why fish is essential, but I am sure someone will chime in on the topic.

Hurley

I don't know if there's a low Carb version of Gogurt, but the ones my son eats list 13g of carbs (a lot!).  Maybe plain Greek yogurt would be an option?  It doesn't taste like candy like a Gogurt, but it's got plenty of protein

HeatherPrimeaux

I thought you don't count sugar carbs which would make them only 3 usable carbs? 

HeatherPrimeaux

Ok nevermind. I reread that part of the book. Its the fiber portion you subtract out. Atkins subtracts the sugar carbs.  Shoot. No more Gogurt 🙂

Richard Schmitt

Granted this program gives you an opportunity to eat a moderation of anything you want, it's still sorta considered a diet, to make modifications in order to get the results you want. Goodluck on achieving your goals, I know after a while you and your husband will find that curve for your meals that will be enjoyable and won't get sick of. Trust me I went through that phase, but in the end it's worth it.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

I found it easier to find a few things I like and stick with them rather than always trying to keep variety in my diet.  I ran out of time in the day trying to work, run errands, shop, and then try new food preparation every evening.  I do things on the weekend to make it easier too, like grilling 10 lbs of chicken breast with just basic seaonings and keeping that in the fridge for the coming week.One thing I do though, is whenever I try a new food, I weigh/measure it, calculate it, track it, and am completely obsessive about it.  I want to know exactly how many grams of carbs I am getting from it to prevent messing up and going over 30g in a day.  When I first started, I didn't do this and ended up doing about 60-70g of carbs per day without even knowing it.  I had to do my re-orientation phase 2 extra times before I really got aggressive with watching carbs.What do I eat now?  Here is my regular fat & Protein day:0500 Wake up0545 Coffee with 2g Coconut Oil, 10g Butter, Stevia powder, and Cinnamon.0830 Coffee with 2g Coconut Oil, 10g Butter, Stevia powder, and Cinnamon.1130 scramble with 2 eggs, 4 egg whites, 2 ounces chopped ham, 30g of medium cheddar, and 10g Coconut Oil1400 Wrap with 7 ounces Chicken Breast, 45g Medium Cheddar, 60g Herdez Salsa, 2c Chopped Romaine, on a Mission Carb balance whole wheat large burrito tortilla.1600 Cheese heads string cheese for a snack if I'm hungry1930 Dinner varies a little.  I cook 10 servings of the CNS Meatloaf at a time and freeze them, delicious.  Steaks like a good New York strip if I've got the extra cash, romaine/baby spinach salad with shredded cheese. bacon bits, and a Walden Farms Dressing, maybe through 6-7 ounces of that chicken breast chopped up on the romaine, the CNS stuffed bell pepper rocks, or sometimes do a little stir fry with some chicken and beef strips in onions and green peppers.And that is basically everything I use for CNS.

HeatherPrimeaux

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.  I don't weigh my food but I really don't eat too much, my hubby on the other hand does.  He is always hungry.  I'm going to try the CNS recipes hopefully this weekend.  We both work full time and have 3 kids so time is precious!  One question, when something says it has zero carbs in a serving, how do i know how many carbs it has in 2 or 3 servings?

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

One question, when something says it has zero carbs in a serving, how do i know how many carbs it has in 2 or 3 servings?

In order to be called "zero calorie" it is supposed to be 4 calories or less, so I just assume it to be near the full 4.  1 gram of carbs would be 4 calories.  So, maybe I am over-conservative, but if I use 4 Splenda packets, I assume 3g of carbs.  Rough calculations, but Splenda has nothing but sucrose and maltodextrin in it, so carbs is the only thing it is giving me.

Damon Amato
    Participant

if it has <.5g per serving, it's allowed to say zero.  That's why a lot of things say "0g trans fat per serving!" but actually there is almost exactly .4g/serving.

Hurley

if it has <.5g per serving, it's allowed to say zero.  That's why a lot of things say "0g trans fat per serving!" but actually there is almost exactly .4g/serving.

Which is why reading the ingredient list is just as important as the nutrition facts panel. If a source of carbs (or trans fats etc.) is listed as an ingredient, it has carbs even if it says 0 grams.  These "hidden" carbs do add up quickly!

HeatherPrimeaux

Is there a list of these “hidden carbs” anywhere??

6by6

Is there a list of these "hidden carbs" anywhere??

http://www.calorieking.com/

CaseyD

Personally, I just assume each serving to have 1g carbs. There aren't too many things I eat multiple servings of at a time, so I easily stay under 30 even with my inflated (and safe) “math”.

Richard Schmitt

I found it easier to find a few things I like and stick with them rather than always trying to keep variety in my diet.  I ran out of time in the day trying to work, run errands, shop, and then try new food preparation every evening.  I do things on the weekend to make it easier too, like grilling 10 lbs of chicken breast with just basic seaonings and keeping that in the fridge for the coming week.One thing I do though, is whenever I try a new food, I weigh/measure it, calculate it, track it, and am completely obsessive about it.  I want to know exactly how many grams of carbs I am getting from it to prevent messing up and going over 30g in a day.  When I first started, I didn't do this and ended up doing about 60-70g of carbs per day without even knowing it.  I had to do my re-orientation phase 2 extra times before I really got aggressive with watching carbs.

Once I get home, I'm buying me one of those food scales so I can too accuarately calculate my foods and how much I eat, guessing, and using online sources can only go so far. Plus it'll be so much better, because I can actually cook my own meals, and use the different receipes I gathered on the internet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ReOrientation Questions/Comments/Concerns

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?