Returning for real – Need a little help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Deeanna

Hi, I need some specifics. I tried this plan a couple years ago but was in depression so I could see why it did not work. I originally purchased the book but had a lot of questions so I listened to all the podcasts and ran through the conversations on athlete.io. I had finally simplified everything that applied to me down to one page of notes which is lost. I purchased the book again and have more questions than ever. I tried to run through the forums again but it’s too much and gets frustrating. Can someone please help me? I need specifics:
    About me:
    180lbs, 5” 8”, 40% body fat, 38 years old, Female, office worker, I am very well proportioned (No one believes my weight when I say it), I have good posture and handle all foods well including wheat and dairy. I do not really carry my weight heavy in one place – If I had to choose perhaps a little more around my stomach. I want to lose fat and gain muscle. I am doing this alone.
    I have 24 hour fitness gym membership with a pool.
    I tried the weight training program with Rachel Guy for a while but got intimidated by the gym. Overly pursuant weight lifting lesbians in unitards scared me but now I am ready to throw down to lose this fat. It has been six months since I have been to the gym for weight training. Should I go back to her program or give carb nite a try again?
    I do light yoga every morning. I do not like cardio at all but will do what is necessary.
    Questions:
    When can I have dark chocolate?
    Orientation Period: Do I exercise at all? Weigh training, HIIT, walking? If so, at what duration and frequency? I listen to my body and know when to stop but I need to know a good starting point.
    On non carb nites how many grams protein and fat do I need? I am afraid I am eating too much. I started then stopped because I was unclear about what I need.
    Here is day 1 of my dairy if it makes sense:
    January 14, 2016
    FOODS Calories Carbs Fat Protein
    Breakfast
    Rainbow Light – Women’s One Multivitamin, 1 Tablet 0 0g 0g 0g
    Rainbow Light – Vitamin D3 1000 Iu Sunny Gummies, 1 gummy drops 10 3g 0g
    Kroger – Sliced Bacon, 1 slices fried 40 0g 4g 3g
    Sodexo Healthcare – Sausage Patty, 1 Patty 180 0g 17g 6g
    Horizon – Organic Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 tbsp. 50 0g 5g 0g
    Coffee – Brewed from grounds, 16 fluid ounce 5 0g 0g 1g
    Lunch
    Egg, Red Pepper Arugula Salad, 1 serving(s) 172 4g 11g 14g
    Lighthouse – Original Bleu Cheese Dressing, 1.5 Tablespoon 113 1g
    Dinner
    Primo Taglio – Italian Dry Salami, 1 oz 80 2g 5g 7g
    Organic steak – Steak, 6 oz 212 0g 8g 33g
    Brocolli Florets – Fresh Steamed – Brocolli Florets – Steamed, 1 cup 31 4g 0g 1g
    Marketside – Arugula & Spinach Mix, 5 oz 35 5g 1g 4g
    Peppers, sweet, red, raw, 0.2 small 5 1g 0g 0g
    Celery, raw, 1 stalk, small (5″ long) 3 1g 0g 0g
    Lighthouse – Ranch Dressing, 2 Tbsp 120 2g 12g 0g
    Sysco – Bacon, 1 slices 38 0g 3g 2g
    Snacks
    Almonds – 23 Dry Roasted Almonds (1 Oz), 5 almonds 28 1g 3g 1g
    Peppers, sweet, red, raw, 0.25 medium (approx 2-3/4″ long, 2-1/2 dia.) 9 2g 0g 0g
    Phillidelphia – Cream Cheese, 1 Tbsp(31g) 35 1g 3g 1g
    Generic – Black Coffee – Brewed From Beans (Correct), 1 cup 0 0g 0g 0g
    Old Trapper – Old Fashioned Beef Jerky Corrected, 0.5 oz. 30 3g 0g 6g
    Hoffman’s – Super Sharp Cheddar Cheese Cubes, 4 pieces (29g) 110 1g 9g 5g
    TOTAL: Cal 1,306 Carb 31g FAt 93g Protein 85g

Steve Cauffiel
    Participant

So as a start: you’ve been eating like that since the 14th and not seeing any change/movement on the scale? Your food log doesn’t seem terrible to me for ULC – but it does look low on total calories to me. That’s not a lot of calories being at 180 pounds and I’m not sure how sustainable it’ll be for you. Not only that but it may throw your body into a panic/stress situation – which is the opposite of what you’re shooting for here. My girlfriend sits at around 132 pounds and takes in 16-1800 calories a day on ULC, trying to stay closer to the low end of 1600 but not flipping out if she goes a bit higher.

What we did was shoot for .5g – 1g per pound of goal bodyweight (we settled on .8) for protein and/or fat. We settled on .8g per, so let’s roll with that example. Now, bite off your weightloss goal into smaller chunks; from 180 to 160, 160 to 140, 140 to 120.

Alright, on our way to a goal of 160: 160lbs x .8g = 128g. 128g of fat comes out to 1152 calories, 128g of protein comes out to 512 calories and then tack on whatever carbs you have as long as it’s lower than 30g per day. If you max out your carbs at 30g then there’s 120 calories. So you’re sitting at a total of around 1800 calories per day but it’s the makeup of those calories that count.

You’re trying to get your body to change to burning fat for fuel so you want to make sure to be taking in plenty – but not TOO much or it won’t pull as much from fat stores – that will also keep you feeling full or satiated longer so you’re not always feeling hungry.

Try something like that for a good three to four weeks and then take a look at how you’re doing. Some people (like me) respond better to higher fat than protein. Some respond better the other way, higher protein than fat. At that three/four week mark I’ll determine if I’m happy with the speed at which I’m losing. Maybe I’ll play with my macros, maybe not. I went with upping my fat intake and lowering my protein and it worked out for me. That didn’t work out for my girlfriend so she went the other way, upping her protein/lowering her fat and that worked better for her. Remember that this is a trial and error thing and there’s no quick remedy. Make one change at a time and document for a few weeks then reassess.

On our Carb Nites we experimented with grazing for six hours (not recommended IIRC, but some do it) but settled on trying to get at least three “spikes” every 90-120 minutes during an eight hour period (she hits three spikes, I sometimes hit four). She takes in 75-100g of carbs for each spike and that seems to work out the best for her. Keep in mind you’re trying to stimulate that hormonal response to reset “all that stuff” so while you shouldn’t go hog-nuts-wild, don’t be too timid with your carbs either.

Working out? Sure, why not? Get back into your training program and ignore the overly pursuant types – you’re there for you, not them. Though CNS works on sedentary folks, being active helps in more ways than just losing weight. You don’t HAVE to exercise on orientation, but why not? Start getting into something now, just don’t hammer yourself. I’d leave HIIT alone for now and maybe hit that once you’ve lost some weight and are working through plateaus.

Dark chocolate? I have a small piece of dark chocolate every night during ULC as a dessert. πŸ˜‰

Hopefully others will chime in but if you have questions ask away – I’ll try to visit these forums more often and check back in.

S.

Deeanna Evey
    Participant

Thanks so much Steve! I stopped after a couple days of orientation as I started my period and read something about not doing orientation then due to possible dehydration – I’d rather not risk it. I am right back to orientation Friday Thank you so much for clearing it up for me. I like having the goal of 160lbs and am looking forward to see how my body responds. I will do my morning yoga during orientation, lift weights a few days and a take a post dinner walk (just because it feels good) Thanks again!

Steve Cauffiel
    Participant

No problemo, hope it helped. I’ve never heard anything like that dehydration thing, that’s weird. Ah well, everyone’s not built the same and bodies react differently I guess. Good luck with it all and post back up how you’re doing! πŸ™‚

S.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Returning for real – Need a little help

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?