Shockwave and bodybuilding

• This topic has 4 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

pjmolinelli
    Keymaster

I am a natural nationally competitive bodybuilder and am training for a contest this November in Vegas.  I have been training for over 20 years, but decided to try something new, hence CBL and SP. I have been doing CBL and SP for a couple of weeks now but I wanted to get some people's thoughts who have been doing it longer.  I usually train similar to Skip Lacour/Jeff Rodriguez which is a heavy, but bodybuilding style routine (similiar to Yates/Mentzer which I know is not optimal for CBL, I also saw Kiefer's modified heavy duty program, but I am doing just straight SP now).  SP just seems light on the workload to me.Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on using SP for bodybuilding competitions?  It seems like it is more powerlifting driven, although I do appreceiate the relationship bewteen weights and hypertrophy.  Bottom line is this is a very tough competition and I want to pack on the most amount of lean mass I can.  Any comments would be appreciated.(Great forums with lots of great comments by the way.)

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Yea I don't recomend Shockwave for a bodybuilding.  I am a bodybuilder ( I don't compete yet) and I found Shockwave to be too tame and I got very little out of it as far as mass gains goes.  However, I definately would reccomend Shockwave if you are trying to lean out.  As far as mass goes, Shockwave Heavy Duty is excellent, I got some big mass gains on that.If you want to lean out, do shockwave.  If you want to put on mass do Shockwave Heavy Duty, or another standard bodybuilding program.

pshannon

What is this shockwave heavy duty?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

What is this shockwave heavy duty?

Read this:  http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/1226/heavy-duty-cbl/

pjmolinelli

SP is a lot different from what I am used to, which is more of a traditional bodybuilding routine, but I like the idea of it.  I am going to keep the very basic format that Kiefer outlines, but I think I will add a few exercises here and there, but still keeping with the basic template. I am 5'9 and 205 right now at 10% body fat.  Keeping that weight and eating donuts kind of freaks me out but it is working so far. Anyway, good to know there are other bodybuilders out there.  And no time like the present to start competing....

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

SP is a lot different from what I am used to, which is more of a traditional bodybuilding routine, but I like the idea of it.  I am going to keep the very basic format that Kiefer outlines, but I think I will add a few exercises here and there, but still keeping with the basic template. I am 5'9 and 205 right now at 10% body fat.  Keeping that weight and eating donuts kind of freaks me out but it is working so far. Anyway, good to know there are other bodybuilders out there.  And no time like the present to start competing....

Yea it's kind of strange.  I believe Kiefer himself was a bodybuidler and he usually tells anecdotes related to bodybuilding, but other than that, it seems like he doesn't associate at all with bodybuilding.  All of his clients seem to be figure competitors and powerlifters.

pjmolinelli

Yeah I actually competed in the same contest that Alex Navarro won in Vegas this past November.  Fitness Universe/Musclemania (same one I am doing again this year). At least I think that was her.  I did not know Kiefer trained her until I listened to a podcast.  Be helpful if he addressed CBL/SP as it applies to bodybuilding, but as he is fond of saying, and it is pretty much the truth, a lot of this you have to figure out for yourself as everyone is different.

I'm sure he doesn't want to be involved in the ridiculous politics more than he has to.I hate most coaches local to me and how their rates are usually reflective more to their "pull" at the contest then their ability.

pjmolinelli

No doubt about that.  Plenty of politics whether it is NPC, NABF, NGA, Musclemania, of dare I say the IFBB.  Comes with the very subjective nature of the sport.  It is not like a race where everyone can see who crosses the finish line first.Saying that, and with running the risk of sounding too surfer zen like, i really enjoy the personal challenge of trying to be better than I was the last time (it is just a nice bonus to have some hardware at the end of a contest to go along with that), if for no one else than myself.  Everyone who is on this site knows who difficult a sport this is, be it powerlifting, bodybuilding, endurance training.  The majoirty of the public thinks you are just genetically gifted or take drugs.  The don't want to hear about how many hours of intense training, diet, and discipline goes into that.  (ok now I an add how hard it is to eat so many donuts... 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shockwave and bodybuilding

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?