Shockwave modifications when loads get relatively heavy

• This topic has 2 voices and 2 replies.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

loupgarou
    Participant

I've been following the Shockwave program for about 3 months with good success.  CBL on workout evenings, no HIIT, and good strength/mass gains so far.  Surprisingly gaining scale weight and losing/maintaining body fat on the following: 2200 kcal, 200g protein and 200g white rice (CBL) and 0.5/1 (ULC).  I like the program and am happy with where it has taken me.However, I discovered early on that I needed to deload (in my case, skip training all together) every fourth or fifth week and skip entirely the "X" sets because I was getting completely fried.I'm 35 y/o, no gear, 210lbs, and my loads are somewhat respectable on the big compound movements:  515 DL, 365 SQ, 250 BP right now all for 3 reps on the top PSR ELECT sets.I wasn't too concerned with the deloads, but lately I have also felt the need to skip some of the other sets during the training weeks because I am smoked.  For example, this week I didn't do the 2x10 SLDL's on squat day, which I had been doing with 350lbs, because I just couldn't make myself do the pulls after squatting.Anyone else finding the need to pare back the program when they were at levels similar to mine?  I'm just curious because I like the program but I'm starting to feel like a wimp or something by carving stuff out.  I assume Wendler would approve of a more minimalist 5/3/1 style program, but my experience thus far makes me want to stick with SW.

TCB
    Participant

It's possible all you need is more food.. especially carbs in your backload. Could be something to try.

loupgarou
    Participant

That could be it.  I thought I found the sweet spot at 200g.  I'll try upping the carbs and throw in some HIIT if I start to gain fat.  Could be that I'm just getting old.  Thanks for the input.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shockwave modifications when loads get relatively heavy

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?