some carb-nite questions

• This topic has 8 voices and 19 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

mjnewland
    Keymaster

1) is it okay to skip breakfast, have a shake 9ish, and first real meal at noon on Carb Nite? When you've mentioned it, it has been in relation to carb backloading, and I think you mentioned that skipping breakfast was one of the the opinions you'd changed since publishing Carb Nite?2) The meal plans in Carb Nite indicate lower levels of protein than I would have expected. If you lift and do Carb Nite, do you still recommend getting 1g protein per lb bodyweight, or a lesser amount of protein?

nz6stringaxe

I've been eating my last meal around midnight and eating my first around 2-4pm, usually 4. I'll have a post workout shake (1sc whey hydrolysate, coconut oil or heavy cream, and 5g leucine in water) at 1:30-2pm after training. That said, I'd be interested in further clarification on your question.

Mike
    Participant

Is eating all kinds of nuts OK while using Carb Nite? I'm talking hazelnuts, pistachios, walnuts, peanuts and so on. They are mostly fat and protein, and if I'm not mistaken most of their carbs are fiber. What do you think?

hnelson

I am brand new to this and need some direction. I do a HIIT early morning (5:30) then am not home until around noon, I don't weight train until the evening….what should I be eating and when? I currently have coffee when I wake up, whey protein with water around 9am and again around noon, cottage cheese around 4pm then eat dinner (chicken/broccoli) after weight training. Im done eating by 8pm.  any advice would really help!

datdudeck

Nuts are ok to have, as he outlined in the book.  The main thing is just to have 30g of carbs or less per day and subtract fiber from the carb sources if there is any fiber in the carb source.

Naomi Most

1) is it okay to skip breakfast, have a shake 9ish, and first real meal at noon on Carb Nite? When you've mentioned it, it has been in relation to carb backloading, and I think you mentioned that skipping breakfast was one of the the opinions you'd changed since publishing Carb Nite?

Yes... you'll get better results delaying your first meal as long as possible. I'd also recommend ditching the shake in favor of coffee with coconut oil (or just coffee), but take it one step at a time.I don't think this particular aspect has changed, but I'll ask Kiefer if he doesn't see this first.

2) The meal plans in Carb Nite indicate lower levels of protein than I would have expected. If you lift and do Carb Nite, do you still recommend getting 1g protein per lb bodyweight, or a lesser amount of protein?

It's actually counterproductive in Carb Nite to eat tons of protein. .8g to 1g per lb of bodyweight should be sufficient.

Nuts are ok to have, as he outlined in the book.  The main thing is just to have 30g of carbs or less per day and subtract fiber from the carb sources if there is any fiber in the carb source.

Nuts are fine, but they can fool you. Walnuts and almonds in particular have a few more usable carbs than (say) macadamia nuts. You should actually weigh and measure here, to make sure you're doing it right, because nuts are so easy to overeat.

I am brand new to this and need some direction. I do a HIIT early morning (5:30) then am not home until around noon, I don't weight train until the evening....what should I be eating and when? I currently have coffee when I wake up, whey protein with water around 9am and again around noon, cottage cheese around 4pm then eat dinner (chicken/broccoli) after weight training. Im done eating by 8pm.  any advice would really help!

Hey, Jason mentioned you were on here, nice to run into you.If your goal is fat loss (I assume since you're talking about Carb Nite), then replace the whey protein with something high in fat or at least balanced fat-and-protein, or just skip it. Especially since you are training in the evening.And I think you are eating far too lean. Kiefer's always complaining about his female clients not eating enough fat. I personally did pretty poorly on Carb Nite until I started to embrace butter.  🙂--Naomi

Damon Amato
    Participant

@Naomi: when you were able to fine tune when doing CN, what did your typical day look like, including exercise?

nz6stringaxe

Since we're on the topic of food choices, and how much protein…I've noticed that my final meal of varying amounts of cottage cheese, greek yogurt, cream cheese, and perhaps some other similar things makes me look much softer before I go to bed than when I wake up/later in the day.What's the take on dairy? I eat a lot of cheese, cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta, greek yogurt, etc. I always account for the carbs, but are these sub-optimal choices?@Naomi, you've also made me think I need to drop my protein down (and increase fat in its place), which is something that always comes to mind since I've seen some of John Berardi's hardcore dieting recommendations going "a little easy" on the protein, moreso than bodybuilders commonly would.

Naomi Most

@Naomi: when you were able to fine tune when doing CN, what did your typical day look like, including exercise?

Sorry I didn't see this until now.Typical day depends highly on which day of the Carb Nite week it is.  So here's my basic Carb Nite program:1 - I start out the first day fasting nearly the whole day, due to such a high carb load from the previous day. I do a 20-minute HIIT in the evening that day, because in the morning I just don't feel like it!2 - I am typically ravenous and want to eat ALL THE THINGS. I do another 20-minute HIIT on this day OR some strength training followed by a Leucine + protein shake.3 and 4 and5 feel more sane. I may or may not strength train, but I almost always get 1-2 sessions of rock climbing in, which feels good. You can run that kind of exercise totally on ketones and fatty acids and feel normal.6 I either feel normal or grumpy. But I love the way my body looks! I take pictures in the mirror, and walking is my only exercise.Day 7 - Carb Nite - I tend to set these for Saturdays, which are my freest days to spend 2+ hours in the gym. I train stupid hard (The Hulk Effect fully applies here) and then take in about 500g of carbs (I really don't need more than that).  I drink a little wine if I feel like it and roll into bed exhausted. GOTO 1END

Richard Schmitt

Alright, got the scoops of another CNS user. So day one fasting is ok? =D Sweet! Quick question, if you don't mind, timing for a Carb Nite or Backloading on the Carbs in general. This Saturday I'm planning on doing my Carb Nite, I'm wanting to use this weekend as an experiment for the correct timing of digesting carbs, I would normally finish my workout around 4:30 take my PWO shake (this Saturday only PWO Shake with a bagel) to spike insulin, then roughly two hours later my dinner consisting of only proteins, and (to our standards =D ) a healthy choice for a carb with a dessert, then another rough two hours later desserts fit for a “HERO”. So 4:30pm PWO shake, 6/6:30pm dinner, 8:30/9pm dessert; would this be acceptable for CN and CBL nite? (to your perspective ma'am?)

Damon Amato
    Participant

what does your PWO shake look like?

Richard Schmitt

Well during the week when I'm doing low-carb it's just the ISO 100 with a TBSP of oil (olive or coconut) that's it, to blunt the insulin levels PWO. Then I'll be doing this on CN which is the ISO 100 (unless my other order comes in before Saturday then it'll be Elite Whey Protein Isolate due to having some carbs, not a lot by any means, also PrimaForce L-Leucine to be added once the order is in) with a bagel, or some sorta of bread. Not sure what other good carb source could spike my insulin levels before dinner.

Damon Amato
    Participant

@Naomi: you're saying 500g carbs isn't that much?  I'm 210lb and I struggled on my carb nite to get down 250-300g.  Am I doing something wrong there?

Jaydeep Jha
    Participant

during the ultra low carb days, is it ok to something like Peptapro post workout?

Snowflake9540

I have a question…. I've had gastric bypass surgery years ago and have gained about sixty pounds back since losing 183. I am really interested in Carb Nite however I'm limited on foods by body can tolerate since my operation. I can't really do much dairy, and sugars, i.e Krispy Kreme doughnuts will give me whats called dumping syndrome and I'll lose tons of electrolytes. What would you suggest since this seems like a great diet for me to try. I've tried Atkins which worked well but everyone wants a little carb at some point and this seems like the best of both worlds. Can you help me?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

some carb-nite questions

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?