some carb-nite questions

• This topic has 8 voices and 19 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

I have a question.... I've had gastric bypass surgery years ago and have gained about sixty pounds back since losing 183. I am really interested in Carb Nite however I'm limited on foods by body can tolerate since my operation. I can't really do much dairy, and sugars, i.e Krispy Kreme doughnuts will give me whats called dumping syndrome and I'll lose tons of electrolytes. What would you suggest since this seems like a great diet for me to try. I've tried Atkins which worked well but everyone wants a little carb at some point and this seems like the best of both worlds. Can you help me?

I'm sorry that has happened to you...honestly that is very unfortunte. What about baking your goods? Can you find receipes that can have sugar switched with say Splenda? If that's the case I would personally make my own donuts how I want them to be, that and cookies and a cake.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

I have a question.... I've had gastric bypass surgery years ago and have gained about sixty pounds back since losing 183. I am really interested in Carb Nite however I'm limited on foods by body can tolerate since my operation. I can't really do much dairy, and sugars, i.e Krispy Kreme doughnuts will give me whats called dumping syndrome and I'll lose tons of electrolytes. What would you suggest since this seems like a great diet for me to try. I've tried Atkins which worked well but everyone wants a little carb at some point and this seems like the best of both worlds. Can you help me?

Welcome to the forums Snowflake!Carb Nite could be of benefit to you in your situation, but it will take being extremely cautious in how you implement your Carb Feed.  Yes, carbs are nice, but you will have to be careful how much you take in.  The average dude can go hog-wild and their intestines will only absorb so fast because the stomach holds the food back.  With food getting through to your small intestine so quickly, you will have a much faster/more aggressive insulin response to smaller quantities of carbs.  I would even consider getting advice from your gastroenterologist on how to implement it.  As a minimum though, I would take the simple carbs in in very small amounts constantly over the 6 hours that you need an insulin spike.  Personally, I would consume in 5-10g increments while checking my blood sugar every 10 minutes or so.  Consume just enough to keep your blood sugar elevated and ensure you don't consume so much that your blood sugar bottoms out from the hyper-insulin-response.  Also, stick with simple carbs that you have been able to tolerate previously.  Obviously, table-sugar-containing foods are likely going to give you problems, so you have to experiment with other high glycemic index foods.Good luck. 

lerouquin

@Naomi: when you were able to fine tune when doing CN, what did your typical day look like, including exercise?

Sorry I didn't see this until now.Typical day depends highly on which day of the Carb Nite week it is.  So here's my basic Carb Nite program:1 - I start out the first day fasting nearly the whole day, due to such a high carb load from the previous day. I do a 20-minute HIIT in the evening that day, because in the morning I just don't feel like it!2 - I am typically ravenous and want to eat ALL THE THINGS. I do another 20-minute HIIT on this day OR some strength training followed by a Leucine + protein shake.3 and 4 and5 feel more sane. I may or may not strength train, but I almost always get 1-2 sessions of rock climbing in, which feels good. You can run that kind of exercise totally on ketones and fatty acids and feel normal.6 I either feel normal or grumpy. But I love the way my body looks! I take pictures in the mirror, and walking is my only exercise.Day 7 - Carb Nite - I tend to set these for Saturdays, which are my freest days to spend 2+ hours in the gym. I train stupid hard (The Hulk Effect fully applies here) and then take in about 500g of carbs (I really don't need more than that).  I drink a little wine if I feel like it and roll into bed exhausted. GOTO 1END

Naomi,Is there a hard and fast rule for determining how many carbs you should be taking in on carb night? I feel like I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it.Thanks,Kevin

zewski

No, just go crazy on your first carb nite  ;DThe point of the carb nite on CNS is to upregulate insulin and metabolism for the week and therefore continuing fat loss. You'd actually be hurting yourself more than helping if you underate on carbs during carb nite.One of the best points in CNS is that the body is always changing so some weeks you'll need more carbs than others and vice versa, so there's no way you can get a concrete number to shoot for.I'm sure Naomi came to this amount through trial and error, not some type of calculation. So does as the book says and "live a little". Don't ruin the joys of carb nite by micro-managing and counting everything

Naomi Most

No, just go crazy on your first carb nite  ;DThe point of the carb nite on CNS is to upregulate insulin and metabolism for the week and therefore continuing fat loss. You'd actually be hurting yourself more than helping if you underate on carbs during carb nite.One of the best points in CNS is that the body is always changing so some weeks you'll need more carbs than others and vice versa, so there's no way you can get a concrete number to shoot for.I'm sure Naomi came to this amount through trial and error, not some type of calculation. So does as the book says and "live a little". Don't ruin the joys of carb nite by micro-managing and counting everything

Yes, absolutely.  A LOT of trial and error.And honestly, carb "requirements" change from week to week.  Over time you will gain the ability to feel it out.  But on Carb Nite it is definitely better to OVERDO than to under-do -- especially since you can easily "fix the damage" by doing one or two high-intensity interval training sessions over the next 2-3 days.Most importantly, though, you need to see Carb Nite not just as a physical reset/boost, but as a mental one.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

some carb-nite questions

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?