Soy, the Proteinkiller

• This topic has 2 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

FurorGermanicus
    Keymaster

Greetings fellow DH-members,just recently I stumpled upon Kiefers great article on soy and trypsin inhibitors. Quite amazing - and shocking -  information. Okay, since I am no heavy soy protein user by nature, it isn't that much of a concern to me. However, a few days ago I had a discussion on this topic. Well, I pointed out the facts I knew from Kiefers article but my conversation partner had some decent arguments that countered my reservations.Now I wanted to ask you folks if this arguments are valid and if so: is soy safe to consume in large(r) quantities?- trypsin inhibitors are proteins, too, therefore they denatured in the gut. Therefore it doesn't work as an inhibitor anymore- some people have a genetic disease called "alpha1-anti-trypsin-deficiency" (or something like that) ; body starts consuming itself and people receive medication which can't be adminstered orally because trypsin is an enzyme (which denatures in the gut, logically like most of the other enzymes). Therefore, these people receive infusionsNow, if Kiefers reservations against soy hold true, physicians just could prescribe to these deficient people some blocks of tofu or even soy powder and - swoop da whopp - they would be cured (or wouldn't have to go through all the pain in receiving infusions for whole life).So, what do you say about these claims? True or false?

Greetings fellow DH-members,just recently I stumpled upon Kiefers great article on soy and trypsin inhibitors. Quite amazing - and shocking -  information. Okay, since I am no heavy soy protein user by nature, it isn't that much of a concern to me. However, a few days ago I had a discussion on this topic. Well, I pointed out the facts I knew from Kiefers article but my conversation partner had some decent arguments that countered my reservations.Now I wanted to ask you folks if this arguments are valid and if so: is soy safe to consume in large(r) quantities?- trypsin inhibitors are proteins, too, therefore they denatured in the gut. Therefore it doesn't work as an inhibitor anymore- some people have a genetic disease called "alpha1-anti-trypsin-deficiency" (or something like that) ; body starts consuming itself and people receive medication which can't be adminstered orally because trypsin is an enzyme (which denatures in the gut, logically like most of the other enzymes). Therefore, these people receive infusionsNow, if Kiefers reservations against soy hold true, physicians just could prescribe to these deficient people some blocks of tofu or even soy powder and - swoop da whopp - they would be cured (or wouldn't have to go through all the pain in receiving infusions for whole life).So, what do you say about these claims? True or false?

What about camostat? This is a trypsin inhibitor that is orally bio-available.

FurorGermanicus

Yeah well, I am not very familiar on this topic. Is it true? And are there any other medicine products ?Anyway - since a lot soja products are cooked before consume, there should be no problem with trypsin inhibitors or am I wrong? (putting protein powder for shakes aside)

Yeah well, I am not very familiar on this topic. Is it true? And are there any other medicine products ?Anyway - since a lot soja products are cooked before consume, there should be no problem with trypsin inhibitors or am I wrong? (putting protein powder for shakes aside)

Well for one, trypsin inhibitor denaturing by heat is not irreversible. I've not seen any indication of 100% denaturing due to heat either:http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/dissertations/AAI8629524/http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jsfa.2740580116/abstract (Specific plant species have different time requirements for denaturing.)http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/19801416244.htmlAs for other oral products, I'm not sure of any off the cuff, having only seen research concerning camostat. That being said, we know that soya-sourced TI is likely bio-available via the oral route in rats: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2072321/ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1243841/

yorkshire_terrier

Actually there are incredibly large amounts of trypsin inhibitors in eggs, sweet potatoes, nuts, tubers, dairy… even meat! but they are inactivated when cooking and processed in certain ways. This includes processes such as fermenting.. pasteurizing, steaming, baking, frying, boiling… all soy product are processed in some way, apart the raw soy beans.. which if you eat raw actually make you feel quite sick. Also heat doesn't necessarily deactivate Trypsin Inhibitors 100%, there are very low levels left over, but there is no evidence that such low levels have an bad effect, actually eggs have as much Trypsin Inhibitors as soy.

yorkshire_terrier

“Prolonged  heating,  however,  brings  about  irreversible denaturation”.. Nearly all soy based products starts by making soy milk, the unprocessed soy bean is blended, sifted, then boiled (boiling happens at 100°C which is well over that which denatures trypsin inhibitors) and does so for several minutes, which is more than enough to make it irreversible. Plus it is often cooked again when eaten for a meal. Can we say the same for how we process eggs or meat which also contains insoluble trypsin inhibitors?

"Prolonged  heating,  however,  brings  about  irreversible denaturation".. Nearly all soy based products starts by making soy milk, the unprocessed soy bean is blended, sifted, then boiled (boiling happens at 100°C which is well over that which denatures trypsin inhibitors) and does so for several minutes, which is more than enough to make it irreversible. Plus it is often cooked again when eaten for a meal. Can we say the same for how we process eggs or meat which also contains insoluble trypsin inhibitors?

Do you have a citation? I found no literature indicating 100% denaturing, which is the real issue at hand.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Soy, the Proteinkiller

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?