Speed vs Weight

• This topic has 7 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

sckiely
    Participant

Moving a lighter object fast creates as much force as moving a heavy object slower. So the muscles react in a similar way to the slower grinds as they do to the explosive power moves. Which is why many powerlifting gyms utilise max effort as well as dynamic effort days.I am curious then, if i focus on training with "Relatively" heavy weights (60-70%max) and focus on moving these weights as fast as possible, to take a rest from lifting in the heavier range (80-95% max) it should still be possible to utilise the CBL principles?I only ask as it is stated that heavy weights are what makes CBL work! So if i use lighter weights more explosively and thus creating the same intra muscular tension it should still work?I only ask as i have felt a strain in my Pec and Only benching aggravates it, so i am now moving onto some explosive movement and High tension BW training and was hoping to keep DB? I am going Ultra low carb the first week until i make a decision on which protocol would be best.

Kevin Creel

I had the same question regarding the Shockwave protocol.  It seems that there is a lot of explosive lighter weight lifts in that program that is contained in the ramping up, with only possibly 3 reps that could be considered heavy in that set.  I do know that the X lifts are heavy though.  So like you, I was wondering if this is heavy enough?  If I'm used to squatting 405 for 5×5, does the ramping give the same effort?

stephenhdmrs

I know Kiefer said that the shockwave protocol is kind of meant to go hand in hand with CBL so I would imagine yours should work sckiely.  Shockwave protocol only goes up to 80% max correct?I do exactly as you describe using Chad Waterbury's methods.  His research shows that by moving relatively heavy weights quickly, you are using the largest muscle fibers and growing those rather than the smaller, endurance muscles.  He uses it for building larger muscle.  It has worked for me and I used a un-knowledgeable version of CBL before the book.  I had very good results but didn't lose any fat but I also didn't gain fat.  I blame it mostly on not CBL correctly by not having the book.  Lastly, my reps never go past 10.  I usually do 5-6 sets getting up to 40 reps total when I am moving 65% max weight.I'm still not 100% it works with CBL but I think it does.  And if it doesn't then I need a new workout routine asap.

sckiely
    Participant

Yeah, all my research points to the idea that it “should” work. I think i may play it safe for the month i test my new program out though and utilise CNS. Maybe Kiefer or Naomi will fill in some blanks here and after a month of CNS i may keep doing the training program and test it for my DB goal.I do have to take a rest from heavy barbell stuff anyway, so i don't actually mind. in the past i have trained very similar to this new program and maintained all my barbell strength by just doing a couple of "light (60%-70%) technique/ dynamic effort sessions a week.

Richard Schmitt

With the whole Shockwave Protocol workout routine, it does work real well with CBL, I used for 4-5 weeks and saw massive growth in my arms, chest, and legs. I'm wanting to tone, to see more definition with this awesome growth I've made, the bad thing is though I've noticed this “new” workout routine works, but I've noticed my arms not pop like they did with SW. So my question is, by incorporating the ELECT movements (still doing SW), but adding another 2 sets to those, and have at least 3 sets doing 10-12 help show this tone/definition I'm wanting?

sckiely
    Participant

Tone and size are the same Tex. Focus on the SW protocol, as long as you are progressing and making gains and able to add weight then it is giving you what you want. "Toning" should not be a goal. Size and strength are the goals that bring the best results. Let your body take shape as it wants to. Also the more size you build the easier it is to build upon a particular area. Imagine trying to carve statue out of a tiny rock then compare to sculpting a giant piece of marble. Much easier to work with the bigger piece!You seem to be getting great results with SW, stick with that till you stop being able to add weight, even then consider changing the exercise used for the movement before you change programs. Don't jump back and forth. as you stated your "New" workout is taking you backwards.Stick with what works until it doesn't  ;D

sawinwright

I only ever use my max training weight.Keifer also recommends this i believe for his end sets, for most it's between 80-90% 1RM me personally i use 87.5%It's the weight at which i can accelerate with NO grinding throughout.

Exactly…. Toning is what you do to fine tune once you have reached your goal. Like if you are prepping for a bodybuilding contest and you are trying to balance out your body… that is Toning or fine tuning.

sckiely
    Participant

I'm back on this point again, i am using Kettlebells for a while. My program utilises both ballistic movements and heavy grinding movements, however i am wondering whether this can use the CBL protocol. At present my weights are not as heavy as when i am not using a barbell but the force generated is stimulating the muscles s much as if i were doing heavier weights. i.e. i am using weights i cannot do more than 10reps with for the grinds and the ballistics the weight is still heavy enough to have a hypertrophic effect.I guess my question is "Does lifting explosively stimulate the Glut4 receptors the same way that using heavier weights does?"This is not just in regards to Kettlebells, for example: i am considering using the "westside" method to help increase my lifts for my comp. Now this method has Max effort days and much lighter Dynamic effort days. So is it still ok to backload after the Dynamic effort days, when it may only be 60% of your Max?Before the book came out i made good progress using both the barbell and a similar KB program. I didn't add heaps of weight, but i stripped a tonne of bodyfat whilst losing only a few kilo's. So i know the answer will be "It Depends!" but thought some others might have some ideas here

If you are utilizing the reactive method for your dynamic lifts the demands on your CNS are huge and possibly greater than on ME days. Using chains is less demanding than using bands but you will still stress the CNS. After your main lift you use the Repeated Effort method for assistance which is very similiar to BB. Another point to remember with Westside speed work is you are creating the same time under tension with the speed sets as you would with the average true ME lift. With squats you are doing sets of two and bench it's sets of three.Westside is one of the most demanding training systems out there and will work with CBL if the effort is there.

sckiely
    Participant

If you are utilizing the reactive method for your dynamic lifts the demands on your CNS are huge and possibly greater than on ME days. Using chains is less demanding than using bands but you will still stress the CNS. After your main lift you use the Repeated Effort method for assistance which is very similiar to BB. Another point to remember with Westside speed work is you are creating the same time under tension with the speed sets as you would with the average true ME lift. With squats you are doing sets of two and bench it's sets of three.Westside is one of the most demanding training systems out there and will work with CBL if the effort is there.

This sort of what i'm trying to get at? If the weight is lighter and you create the right amount of force/ time under tension this is still ok for CBL. Not so much the Westside example, as that is obviously a hardcore program, but with other programs where the weights may be lighter, Kettlebells/ bodyweight programs for example. If i use explosive movements (Kettlebell Snatch/ clean) and use exercises that require high amounts of tension (1 arm Push ups/ pistol squats) these should still work effectively with CBL right?

When it comes to heavy lifting I'm not sure BW stuff will work. BB, weightlifting and powerlifting all require intense and heavy weights. I think if the KB stuff is heavy and creates the desired training effect it could work. I have always used any BW exercises, except pull ups, as very fringe exercises.It could be an interesting trial to see if you respond the same to the CBL with BW training as compaired to heavy lifting. I don't think it will be enough though. 

sckiely
    Participant

I have always used any BW exercises, except pull ups, as very fringe exercises.It could be an interesting trial to see if you respond the same to the CBL with BW training as compaired to heavy lifting. I don't think it will be enough though. 

Normal push ups i can crank out 100+ without rest, but 1 arm push ups maybe 5-6 each arm, handstand push ups the same, and as for other BW stuff as long as you adjust the leverage the tension and strength needed can be tough as any barbell exercise.I think i will give it a go down the track and see, probably use SA though to play it safe  ;D

I think its a great idea to give it a try. It could work. At a BW of 275 I can crank out 100 push ups in under a minute when racing some of the athletes we train just for fun but we never really do one arm. With pistols Tara can easily do 25 per leg and just stops there because she can't see much benefit when its so easy.

stephenhdmrs

Naomi said no to bw and cbl'ing.  Unless you can only do a couple reps of them.  Not sure how the single leg/arm exercises work at that point.  I think only Kiefer can answer what actually counts for this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Speed vs Weight

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?