Steady State Cardio – What exactly is bad about it?

• This topic has 8 voices and 19 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Fernando Aguilar
    Participant

People still have this thing in their head that cardio must be the answer to looking good and lean... It's probably because of all the brow science out there... Steady state cardio destroys your muscles mass wend done for too long of a time frame... It causes cortisol levels to be constantly elevated witch you really do not want on CBL or wend ever you are trying to build muscle. If you enjoy it do it but don't expect to be jacked and ripped by doing that...

Can you backup your claims that steady-state cardio chronically elevates cortisol? (Please don't forget we are talking about an athlete without any energy deficit and with enough carbs in the tank)And well ... being ripped & jacked isn't that hard.  😉

They don't train their upper body so they weigh less.This is what a lot of cycling without caloric restriction but with added squatting can do to your muscles  ;D :

The guy on the left is andre greipel, a "road sprinter" he wont be winning any major classics, to big. At 6ft and 80kg he's not really that big 🙂 The guy on the left is a German pure track sprinter, that's what HIIT does for muscle growth 🙂 He probably puts out in excess of 2400watts power!Joker8885, that really was my point. Excessive LISS eats muscle. Froome, the sky rider in my pic is 6'1 and 69kg. Horses for courses, if you want to be a successful road racer/endurance athlete then you have to make sacrifices to get your Watts/kg as high as possible. If you enjoy it then why not..

I know that Robert Förstemann doesn't compete in any endurance events (and that he is a genetic freak), I was joking when posting it.  🙂... and now please let's stop talking about extremes. The topic is not how bad running an ultra marathon or attending the Tour de France  is.

Kiefer has talk about cortisol and steady state cardio a bunch of times... I don't actually have read papers on that(sorry can't help you there :-), i just believe in our science guru. 😉

I think there is a disconnect on the type of cardio we are talking about.I would say "LISS" is fine. It's very low intensity, often things done out of enjoyment. Walking, hiking, swimming, biking, skating" things that will be pretty low on the intensity scale for the most part, and when it does pick up you nearly end up in a HIIT range with it.I would say it's the "MISS" type of cardio we should be avoiding.Long distance runs and biking simply for getting in mileage. It's bad for joints, hormone health, it can kill thyroid, just not fun stuff. I work with many runs in this category and nearly 100% of the time my recommendation is "To get better at your sport and feel better at life, run less, walk more, and sprint sometimes"

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

@Ethon We have discussed this topic (I actually created the thread) before and Kiefer actually dropped in.  It's in this section.  It's entitled "Does Kiefer exaggerate runnings negative effects?"I would post a link, but I am on my cell phone now.

@Ethon We have discussed this topic (I actually created the thread) before and Kiefer actually dropped in.  It's in this section.  It's entitled "Does Kiefer exaggerate runnings negative effects?"I would post a link, but I am on my cell phone now.

I remember when that popped back up from the dead with a post from Keifer. Good times.

cookie

... and now please let's stop talking about extremes. The topic is not how bad running an ultra marathon or attending the Tour de France  is.

Yeah no prob. I was having some fun also with those examples.. 🙂From personal experience, I was a competitive cyclist, shaped more a greipel then a froome 🙂 I ate unrestricted paleo and trained around 20hrs a week. No matter what I did I could never get my bodyfat below about 12%. From my N=1 these days I have cut my base miles and "crossfit" style training and have found it easy to go sub 10%, that said, I cannot compete at the same level now. However, I have lots more time for family, I feel much better and look better.. So it echos the general gist of what keifer suggests.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Steady State Cardio – What exactly is bad about it?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?