Steady State Cardio – What exactly is bad about it?

• This topic has 8 voices and 19 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Ethon
    Participant

So, here is the only place on the Internet where you read that steady state cardio is bad.What is bad about it? Assume a male person with a caloric surplus. Also assume that it is done for fun (additionally to HIIT and powerlifting) and about 5-10 hours per week.(So please don't link the article about how females with a caloric deficit react to excessive cardio)Thanks

Richard Schmitt

You answered your own question. The fact you're in a calorie deficit and running for hours on end…destroying muscle and losing it. Duh. If you're in a caloric surplus and want to go run for the hell of it, no one is stopping you. Again it's the fact a person is in a caloric deficit and running, not a caloric surplus

Phatty

I'm not 100% sure on how to put this I don't fully understand it.Long distance running lowers the concentration of GLUT4 in your cells. I can't remember the exact wording, it's in one of the tubecast videos.So for CBL, it may hinder progress.For CNS, GLUT4 matters much less however running through the week while carb depleted definitely isn't a great idea.

Ethon
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. 🙂Does the decreased GLUT4 concentration matter if I do some resistance training prior to ingesting carbs? I was thinking about riding my bike for only on  offdays (without any carbs after it) and on upper body days a few hours before lifting.

Phatty

Thanks for the replies. 🙂Does the decreased GLUT4 concentration matter if I do some resistance training prior to ingesting carbs? I was thinking about riding my bike for only on  offdays (without any carbs after it) and on upper body days a few hours before lifting.

Straight from the horse' mouth:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s87ns6Sf-pkFrom about the 5.20 mark Kiefer answers a question on running. Hope that clears some things up for you.

Ethon
    Participant

Straight from the horse' mouth:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s87ns6Sf-pkFrom about the 5.20 mark Kiefer answers a question on running. Hope that clears some things up for you.

Thanks. No it's even more confusing. The swimmer should do great with CBL, the runner not ...? Swimming is mainly anaerobic exercise, just like running.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Steady State cardio encourages muscle breakdown and there really isn't much of a point to conditioning yourself to it if you are a strength athlete.  You want to condition yourself to your sport, which for a powerlifter is intervals up to about 20 seconds.Think about it, if you are running regularly, your body is going to want to adapt to that exercise by getting rid of that fast twitch muscle because it isn't doing anything during the run.  If you are lifting on top of it, you are then just being counterproductive and limiting gains.  The body adapts to whatever environment you put it in.If you do want to run because you enjoy it, just keep it under 20 mins and you should be fine.  But realize you will be better served by doing HIIT or better yet another weight training session.

cookie

This is what LOTS of steady state cardio and caloric restriction does to your muscles!Chris-Froome-tour-de-france-2012.jpg

Ethon
    Participant

This is what LOTS of steady state cardio and caloric restriction does to your muscles!Chris-Froome-tour-de-france-2012.jpg

They don't train their upper body so they weigh less.This is what a lot of cycling without caloric restriction but with added squatting can do to your muscles  ;D :

Phatty

They don't train their upper body so they weigh less.This is what a lot of cycling without caloric restriction but with added squatting can do to your muscles  ;D :

and steroids.

Ethon
    Participant

Of course, but the guys on cookies picture use them as well.  😉

Fernando Aguilar
    Participant

People still have this thing in their head that cardio must be the answer to looking good and lean… It's probably because of all the brow science out there… Steady state cardio destroys your muscles mass wend done for too long of a time frame… It causes cortisol levels to be constantly elevated witch you really do not want on CBL or wend ever you are trying to build muscle. If you enjoy it do it but don't expect to be jacked and ripped by doing that…

cookie

The guy on the left is andre greipel, a "road sprinter" he wont be winning any major classics, to big. At 6ft and 80kg he's not really that big 🙂 The guy on the left is a German pure track sprinter, that's what HIIT does for muscle growth 🙂 He probably puts out in excess of 2400watts power!Joker8885, that really was my point. Excessive LISS eats muscle. Froome, the sky rider in my pic is 6'1 and 69kg. Horses for courses, if you want to be a successful road racer/endurance athlete then you have to make sacrifices to get your Watts/kg as high as possible. If you enjoy it then why not..

Caino
    Participant

The guy on the left is andre greipel, a "road sprinter" he wont be winning any major classics, to big. At 6ft and 80kg he's not really that big 🙂 The guy on the left is a German pure track sprinter, that's what HIIT does for muscle growth 🙂 He probably puts out in excess of 2400watts power!Joker8885, that really was my point. Excessive LISS eats muscle. Froome, the sky rider in my pic is 6'1 and 69kg. Horses for courses, if you want to be a successful road racer/endurance athlete then you have to make sacrifices to get your Watts/kg as high as possible. If you enjoy it then why not..

and not to mention the 2400mg of he injected too lol

Ethon
    Participant

People still have this thing in their head that cardio must be the answer to looking good and lean... It's probably because of all the brow science out there... Steady state cardio destroys your muscles mass wend done for too long of a time frame... It causes cortisol levels to be constantly elevated witch you really do not want on CBL or wend ever you are trying to build muscle. If you enjoy it do it but don't expect to be jacked and ripped by doing that...

Can you backup your claims that steady-state cardio chronically elevates cortisol? (Please don't forget we are talking about an athlete without any energy deficit and with enough carbs in the tank)And well ... being ripped & jacked isn't that hard.  😉

I know that Robert Förstemann doesn't compete in any endurance events (and that he is a genetic freak), I was joking when posting it.  🙂... and now please let's stop talking about extremes. The topic is not how bad running an ultra marathon or attending the Tour de France  is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Steady State Cardio – What exactly is bad about it?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?