Streaky Bacon Vs Back Bacon

• This topic has 3 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Fairy
    Keymaster

Is it true that the streakiness is caused by feeding the pig grains and making them insulin resistant…? Think I read something like this in The Paleo Solution. Any preference?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Maybe.  I know intra-muscular triglycerides (IMTG), which is fat streaks in muscles, are generally the result of obesity and insulin resistance in humans.  Athletes also paradoxically have these but for a different reason. I don't know how similiar pigs are to humans, but it is possible that the streaks are from insulin resistance.  Unless they are athletic pigs.

guitarjon
    Participant

Maybe.  I know intra-muscular triglycerides (IMTG), which is fat streaks in muscles, are generally the result of obesity and insulin resistance in humans.  Athletes also paradoxically have these but for a different reason. I don't know how similiar pigs are to humans, but it is possible that the streaks are from insulin resistance.  Unless they are athletic pigs.

I've been using back bacon but, being that it has more protein than fat, I was going to switch once I run out of the back bacon that I've got.  I'm guessing it's closer to 1:1.

Fairy

Yep, it does seem to have more fat in it, and it's also about 30% cheaper (not that I'm buying cheap meat) for some reason.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Streaky Bacon Vs Back Bacon

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?