strength decline

• This topic has 4 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

jsmith

What are some reasons for significant strength decline in a short period of time?About a month ago I did 4 sets of 3 reps with 450 pounds on the deadlift. Today i barely was able to do 450 for 1 rep. I got about 8 hours of sleep last night. body weight is about the same. possibly slightly dehydrated. nutrition is relatively the same. and i just took the past 2 days off so i should be pretty well rested. thoughts?

CBachelor17

If your basing this off one miss lift it could be countless things. I deff wouldnt psych yourself out about it because that could lead to “weight anxiety” going to into the next attempt. Think of it as on mis-hap, and next time you try to it have the mindset that your going to crush it.If it is actual strength loss it could be because of flaws in nutrition/training from then to now.

hack_attack
    Participant

i'd say the same. If over the course of a month or so you notice your strength consistently dropping, then that is a bad sign. One workout could be literally anything from difference in form to not warming up properly to being unconsciously stressed by an event earlier in the day. Too many variables to say if you actually lost strength.

jsmith

i figured out what it was. i have followed a rule that i do not wear a weight belt until i get to atleast 450 pounds on the deadlift. well i decide to up that weight to 500 instead of 450.  I came back yesterday to try 450 again and i could only do it twice. I decided to put back on the weight belt and i deadlifted 500 for 3 reps. So my core strength is my obvious weak link that needs to be worked on.

TCB
    Participant

i figured out what it was. i have followed a rule that i do not wear a weight belt until i get to atleast 450 pounds on the deadlift. well i decide to up that weight to 500 instead of 450.  I came back yesterday to try 450 again and i could only do it twice. I decided to put back on the weight belt and i deadlifted 500 for 3 reps. So my core strength is my obvious weak link that needs to be worked on.

Effing core.Cool you figured it out though!Time to go do some heavy front pause squats! 🙂

jsmith

will a weight belt effect the bench press and squat like it is effecting my deadlift? i'm mainly curious if itll effect my bench.

TCB
    Participant

will a weight belt effect the bench press and squat like it is effecting my deadlift? i'm mainly curious if itll effect my bench.

Squat - yes.Bench - Depends on your technique level. I'm guessing that since you don't know, it probably won't. (Not intending any offense here 🙂 )

jsmith

Squat - yes.Bench - Depends on your technique level. I'm guessing that since you don't know, it probably won't. (Not intending any offense here 🙂 )

none taken. i have my first meet November 2nd. anyone have any quick tips? im not going to do any type of cutting for this first meet. i should come in around 188-190.

CBachelor17

Lifting without a belt is going to strengthen your core and ultimately improve your strength. If that means lowering overall weight thats what I would do. I dont compete though so my goals are different and PR's are for personal gratification not for competition.

TCB
    Participant

none taken. i have my first meet November 2nd. anyone have any quick tips? im not going to do any type of cutting for this first meet. i should come in around 188-190.

The one thing I hear constantly on the weightlifting podcasts, which pretty much applies to powerlifting as well is:For your first meet -Open a little light so you guarantee you don't bomb out. You want to have a meet PR to try and bust next meet.-Most importantly that I always hear, don't get too into your head about it. Just HAVE FUN. It's your first. There will be plenty more to get worked up over!Disclaimer: I've never competed in an iron sport, so take my advice for what it's worth, ha.just have fun.

jsmith

update. pulled 560 at this meeti also did kiefers 12 week bench program for this meet. i got about 15 pounds out of it to put me at a 320 bench.

TCB
    Participant

Nice job!What'd you total?

jsmith

thanks. it was just bench and deadlift so i got 880 total at 184 pounds

TCB
    Participant

Gotcha. Nicely done. Now you have a Meet PR to beat at the next one!Curiosity: Why did you not do the squat?

jsmith

it was a school meet and they just decided not to add in the squat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

strength decline

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?