Study finds no difference between rice & whey isolate post-workout

• This topic has 3 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

RJH76

It looks like the specific differences of amino acid profiles for different protein isolate supplements aren't important to performance gains, so long as the protein has the needed levels of each; i.e., more is not better beyond a usable threshold.  This also calls into question the need for additional leucine supplementation beyond what's found in the protein supplement itself.  Here's the link: http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-12-86.pdfHere's the title and abstract:

The effects of 8 weeks of whey or rice protein supplementation on body composition and exercise performance.Jordan M Joy1,2, Ryan P Lowery1, Jacob M Wilson1, Martin Purpura3, Eduardo O De Souza4, Stephanie MC Wilson5, Douglas S Kalman6, Joshua E Dudeck1 and Ralf Jäger3*Background: Consumption of moderate amounts of animal-derived protein has been shown to differentlyinfluence skeletal muscle hypertrophy during resistance training when compared with nitrogenous and isoenergetic amounts of plant-based protein administered in small to moderate doses. Therefore, the purpose of the study was to determine if the post-exercise consumption of rice protein isolate could increase recovery and elicit adequate changes in body composition compared to equally dosed whey protein isolate if given in large, isocaloric doses.Methods: 24 college-aged, resistance trained males were recruited for this study. Subjects were randomly andequally divided into two groups, either consuming 48 g of rice or whey protein isolate (isocaloric andisonitrogenous) on training days. Subjects trained 3 days per week for 8 weeks as a part of a daily undulatingperiodized resistance-training program. The rice and whey protein supplements were consumed immediatelyfollowing exercise. Ratings of perceived recovery, soreness, and readiness to train were recorded prior to andfollowing the first training session. Ultrasonography determined muscle thickness, dual emission x-ray absorptiometry determined body composition, and bench press and leg press for upper and lower body strength were recorded during weeks 0, 4, and 8. An ANOVA model was used to measure group, time, and group by time interactions. If any main effects were observed, a Tukey post-hoc was employed to locate where differences occurred. Results: No detectable differences were present in psychometric scores of perceived recovery, soreness, or readiness to train (p > 0.05). Significant time effects were observed in which lean body mass, muscle mass, strength and power all increased and fat mass decreased; however, no condition by time interactions were observed (p > 0.05).Conclusion: Both whey and rice protein isolate administration post resistance exercise improved indices of bodycomposition and exercise performance; however, there were no differences between the two groups.Keywords: Protein Quality, Leucine, Whey, Rice

Gnomer
    Participant

i use rice isolate now and then.. main issue with vegan proteins is they are chalky as hell

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Pretty good study.  The results do not surprise me.  People look into the protein quality issue way to much in my opinion.I would of liked it if they would have a group that didn't receive any protein supplementation.  I would have also liked it if they would've had separate groups based on resistance training experience, instead of attempting to make the groups equally diverse in that respect.

Gnomer
    Participant

Pretty good study.  The results do not surprise me.  People look into the protein quality issue way to much in my opinion.I would of liked it if they would have a group that didn't receive any protein supplementation.  I would have also liked it if they would've had separate groups based on resistance training experience, instead of attempting to make the groups equally diverse in that respect.

no money in that! ;D

RJH76

i use rice isolate now and then.. main issue with vegan proteins is they are chalky as hell

Very true. It looks like the choice is one of subjective taste and personal preference for animal vs. plant sources. I use pea and whey isolate, but post workout I've been using Platinum's Hydro Builder (hydro, isolate, casein blend of whey, dairy, and egg proteins).  It seemed like a bit much to have 3 or 4 different protein powders, so it's good to know that I can consider simplifying.  Pea and Rice proteins are still better at reducing morning insulin spikes, so I'll still have at least one on hand. The thickness and neutral taste of plant protein isolates might work better for cooking though. I'm gonna use the pea protein and/or rice in some ULC recipes from the CNS to see how they compare.

RJH76

There's gotta be a few studies out there that compared protein vs. no protein supplementation post-workout. Also, all the men were already "resistance trained."  Any other assignment than random would have introduced unknowable confounding factors that would have put the results in question.  What do you mean when you say, "experience."  I can say that from a technical POV, if they have separated the men into groups based on different years of weightlifting, they would have had to have an equal number of men from each experience group. They would also have needed between 5 to 10 different groups.  This last requirement isn't mandatory, but is highly recommended when using a Blocking assignment protocol to control for one confounding variable like experience.  That's a lot of trouble.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

There's gotta be a few studies out there that compared protein vs. no protein supplementation post-workout. Also, all the men were already "resistance trained."  Any other assignment than random would have introduced unknowable confounding factors that would have put the results in question.  What do you mean when you say, "experience."  I can say that from a technical POV, if they have separated the men into groups based on different years of weightlifting, they would have had to have an equal number of men from each experience group. They would also have needed between 5 to 10 different groups.  This last requirement isn't mandatory, but is highly recommended when using a Blocking assignment protocol to control for one confounding variable like experience.  That's a lot of trouble.

1.  There are studies comparing protein supplementation vs no supplementation, but in my opinion, the training regimes used by studies are pretty tame.  Now how would you interpret the results if the no supplementation group also achieved equal results?2.  Yes they used resistance trained subjects, but the training age of the subjects would strongly influence the statistical significance of the protein supplementation.  I think we would learn more if there was a group that wasn't resistance trained and a group that has been training for several years.  3.  Though I never conducted a study that was in a peer reviewed journal, I am rather well trained in statistics.  I know it makes the analysis much more difficult. 

RJH76

1.  There are studies comparing protein supplementation vs no supplementation, but in my opinion, the training regimes used by studies are pretty tame.  Now how would you interpret the results if the no supplementation group also achieved equal results?

That's a great question. If I saw such a study, my first question would be whether they controlled and presented the post-workout nutrition in general.  I'd be skeptical that little to no complete protein consumption within a couple of hours from moderate to heavy weight training would not only be different, but worse than groups consuming some form of complete protein.  So, if I could fill out of a dream sheet of studies to have done, one would be to compare groups that supplemented with protein powder, and two groups that derived an equal amount of protein from food sources (3 groups: animal only, meat and plants, and plant source only mixed to ensure a complete amino acid profile).  That said, even this study leaves me wondering about the effect of co-consuming protein with a high post-workout dose of a glucose product.  Having a protein, glucose, creatine mix ready to drink post-work out is just too easy to mess with.

2.  Yes they used resistance trained subjects, but the training age of the subjects would strongly influence the statistical significance of the protein supplementation.  I think we would learn more if there was a group that wasn't resistance trained and a group that has been training for several years.

Could be. From your picture, I'd consider you an expert informant on the matter.  I'm a few years away from 40. Do you have any opinions on the matter that should be considered in supplementation for older guys vs. "college aged" guys?

3.  Though I never conducted a study that was in a peer reviewed journal, I am rather well trained in statistics.  I know it makes the analysis much more difficult.

I apologize for my seaming arrogance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Study finds no difference between rice & whey isolate post-workout

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?