Super Slow Reps

• This topic has 3 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

nickl413

Anybody doing this or done it in the past?  It's been working really well for my lower body.  I didnt see any results in my upper body though.  My lower back has been giving my problems for about 8 years or so.  It will flare up sometimes and ussually stick around for 2 or 3 weeks at a time then go away for a few weeks.  A few months back it flared up real good after doing some dead lifts in the gym, probably the worst its ever been.  After it went away, I tried doing some relatively light deadlifts, like 200lbs or so and it came right back.  Then after I heard Dave Asprey's interview with Dr. Doug McGruf, where he mentions people tweaking their back doing deadlifts,  I read his book and tried out super slow reps.  My back was already hurting when I did super slow deadlifts to positive failure with like 95 lbs.  The pain disappeared immediately and has not been back since.  Amazing.I've seen nice results on my legs too with a leg workout that only lasts about 6 mins.  a quick warm up, super slow squats with about 115 lbs, standing calf raises with about 80 lbs,  and some glute ham raises.  This works out well for me working out at home because I don't need a spoter.  I can easily re-rack 115 lbs from the squatted position after going to failure.  I haven't been back in the gym to check how a real squat compares to before but I can say my calfs are noticeably larger and more defined after doing this for about 8 weeks.Like I said, I didnt see any results in my upper body,  so I've been doing shockwave for my upper only with a set of super slow deads on back day. 

Big_R
    Participant

super slow reps are good for a “time under tension” sets, where you would be aiming for anywhere between 10-15 reps depending on the exercise.  I would not recommend this for a deadlift though – that's a power movement and repetitions should be done explosively!What goals are you aiming toward?

nickl413

10-15 reps?  I'm doing like 5 or 6 lol.  'bout 10 seconds eccentric and a little faster on the concentric until positive failure.  One set per exercise.Unfortunately, normal dead lifts are out of the question for me because of the tendency to tweak my lower back.  I would like to lean down while adding some lean mass without injuring myself in the process.  I'm happy with my lower body results from super slow, just wondering what everyone else's experiences/opinions are.  One thing I'm wondering about is the effect on tGlut translocation since it's not an explosive movement. 

Big_R
    Participant

i don't believe there is much purpose in emphasizing eccentric phase greater than 5 seconds, but that's my opinion.most of shockwave emphasis is on explosive movements 5x3 sets for a reason....  tGlut Stimuation without burning down your nervious system.  In general... muscles contract fully 100% during an explosive movement versus a slower movement - These all should have a place in your routine though, alternating rep speed and volume/set will cover all avenues in stimulating the muscles. i haven't looked at shockwave for a few months but aside from the 5 set 3 reps, there are also regular working sets of 8 reps incorporated i believe....Deadlifts used to hurt my back when i starting going above 365, but i learned that a rounded-back was a better approach since it allows for more leverage of the upper back and traps more so than a straight back. so if your planning on going heavy or low reps why not test the waters?Monte Spicer said it best... "STIMULATE, STIMULATE, STIMULATE."    dont forget that  LOL

McLeod2012

Have you tried rack deadlifts? Also there's a machine on elitefts, it's like the belt squat or something like that and it was made so it took stress off your back. Just some thoughts.

nickl413

My dead lift form is not the problem with my back.  My back has bothered me for years off and on.  Dead lifts are just one thing that can set it off.  Turning my compost can do it too.  Basically anything that uses the muscles in my lower back.  But for some reason, the first set of super slow light weight dead lifts LITERALLY made the pain disappear the second I was done with it.    I'm thinking there may be some inadvertent 'muscle activation technique' going on here.  Dr. Mcguff says that heavy deads can utilize some stabilizing muscles that should not be used for heavy weight.  If heavy deads work for you, more power to you, but they are not for me.  Not even at 200 lbs.I do the shock-wave back workout as its written with the exception of the deads.  The shrugs, rows etc. all done ELECT style.  The leg work out on the other hand, Is pretty much all super slow.  Since I'm doing it at home currently there aren't many options for other exercises.  But like  I said, I've been seeing good results with my legs so it's not really an issue.  I should mention that most of my super slow leg workouts have been done during the ULC portion of the week while doing CNS.  ULC and seeing results.  I think that says a lot. Anyway I'm not trying to convince anyone to work out like this, or trying  to say that it's in anyway superior to any other type of workout.  Just sharing my experience so far and wondering what other's are. 

Big_R
    Participant

My dead lift form is not the problem with my back.  My back has bothered me for years off and on.  Dead lifts are just one thing that can set it off.  Turning my compost can do it too.  Basically anything that uses the muscles in my lower back.  But for some reason, the first set of super slow light weight dead lifts LITERALLY made the pain disappear the second I was done with it.    I'm thinking there may be some inadvertent 'muscle activation technique' going on here.  Dr. Mcguff says that heavy deads can utilize some stabilizing muscles that should not be used for heavy weight.  If heavy deads work for you, more power to you, but they are not for me.  Not even at 200 lbs.I do the shock-wave back workout as its written with the exception of the deads.  The shrugs, rows etc. all done ELECT style.  The leg work out on the other hand, Is pretty much all super slow.  Since I'm doing it at home currently there aren't many options for other exercises.  But like  I said, I've been seeing good results with my legs so it's not really an issue.  I should mention that most of my super slow leg workouts have been done during the ULC portion of the week while doing CNS.  ULC and seeing results.  I think that says a lot. Anyway I'm not trying to convince anyone to work out like this, or trying  to say that it's in anyway superior to any other type of workout.  Just sharing my experience so far and wondering what other's are.

what about your squats?  i believe they are are great culprit in straining the lower back.  what are your squats leg presses looking like?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Super Slow Reps

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?