Swimming. HIIT. Doable?

• This topic has 7 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Gibdan

I used to swim for 14 years. Managed to get down to about 28secs 50m Freestyle a few years back. I let it lapse. I still enjoy swimming for short periods of time.I figured since you can go jogging, riding for HIIT routine. Surely swimming can be the same?Whats the general idea on achieving this? And to do it from days that I don't do weight training.. So maybe weekends.

Richard Schmitt

Swimming is great for HIIT

kcarolhxw
    Participant

That sounds like a great idea! I would just follow the same basic outlines for HIIT…and working towards a 28 s time sounds like a good interval anyway.

Fairy

I have done swimming HIITEg:2 lapsCount 18 breaths rest periodRepeat 6-10 times

Gibdan

Thanks for the input guys.Sorry could you elaborate a bit more Fairy?I was thinking more of doing1 lap sprint.2 lap rest.(50m pool)And repeat 6-10 times.

Fairy

Oh, when I rest I totally rest, waiting at the end of the pool and counting my breaths. Can't remember the HIIT protocol for guys... But I think 1 lap ALL OUT, wait at the end of the pool and watch the clock for 30 sec (or whatever you need to recover) then repeat.

Gibdan

Oh, makes sense. Thanks.Might give that a shot as opposed to doing laps for 90 mins.

Fairy

Yeah. Keep it sub 30 min. Welcome.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I tried this before and unfortunately I was not able to do it, but I think it would be good if you are a good swimmer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I used to swim for 14 years. Managed to get down to about 28secs 50m Freestyle a few years back. I let it lapse. I still enjoy swimming for short periods of time.I figured since you can go jogging, riding for HIIT routine. Surely swimming can be the same?Whats the general idea on achieving this? And to do it from days that I don't do weight training.. So maybe weekends.

Nice Times! I'm a swimming since age 4. Just had shoulder surgery so one arm swimming and deep pool running. A fish gotta swim! Some descending sets sound great. Get in there and do some fly for me!! But yes, do some 100's and 50's after a warm up. Keep us posted.  Would love to hear more about what workouts you decide to do.

Fairy

Yup. Should have added I also used to swim competitively so sprinting freestyle for laps is kinda second nature to me anyway.Might have to give it a go today actually 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yup. Should have added I also used to swim competitively so sprinting freestyle for laps is kinda second nature to me anyway.Might have to give it a go today actually 🙂

I get depressed if I don't get in the pool every day. So I get to the pool every day! Yeah! Get back in the pool. Nothing like that feeling after doing a 30 minute set of50,100, 150's. My strokes were fly and free. What were yours? I can't wait to be able to swim again. Not sure I'll be doing much fly if I want my shoulder to last me another 20 years!!

Fairy

I just do freestyle. My lats are pretty developed as a result. For me it's just that if I was in a survival situation, that's what I'd go with, so that's what I train for.

LegsMegs81
    Participant

You can do swim HIIT without doing laps.I do a hydro-training class at my gym so I can use 1 minute to do sprints, wall kicks, flutter kicks, jumping jacks, frog or knee jumps in chest-high water and then rest for about 3-4min. Better than land sprints I think as its automatically 12lbs of resistance all over your body in the water. So no need to be intimidated by laps! I know I'd probably bring a whole new meaning to 'HIIT' as I'd prob smack into the wall when I go to turn... 🙂

TheBrianRoth

I love freestyle for HIIT. All out for a lap and then rest just long enough to get the heart rate down. Rest can be whatever you want. I like to keep moving, but at a ridiculously slow, lose a race to your grandmother pace. The idea (for me) is to keep the muscles going but slow the heart rate back down to normal. Usually only takes about a minute.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Swimming. HIIT. Doable?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?