Targeted Fat Mobilization

• This topic has 7 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Gnomer
    Participant

Gl;itch.e

I read this. But I have 2 different interwoven thoughts and theories on this. Most would agree that stubborn areas of fat are usually the ones that start accumulating fat first. Stomach, love handles in men and buttocks, hips, thighs in women generally barring metabolic and hormonal derangements. 1.) I think stubborn fat is more linked to the fat composition of the tissue. The higher Polyunsaturated fat is in the diet the more is stored percentage wise. The fat the body produces on its own is more saturated. The body also prefers to burn saturated fat first since polyunsaturated fats slow metabolic rate by interferring with the thyroid. The net effect is accumulation of PUFAs over the years and thus a more "suboptimal" fat ratio. Since certain areas seem to be first to store and last to lose, it stands to reason that those areas become more condensed with the PUFA the body is reluctant to burn (oxidize).2.) Heat also has a part in an organisms ratio of production towards saturated or unsaturated fats (thinking plants here mostly). The colder the temperature the higher percentage of fat created will be unsaturated in order to stay liquid in the conditions. The higher the temperature the higher percentage of saturated fat (think coconuts) will be created since saturated fat is more stable. How does this relate to us? Well I conceed this second idea is less likely a factor than my previous statement, but I find it significant that the fatter areas of the body do indeed have less blood flow and usually exhibit cooler temperatures than the leaner or less fat bound areas. Would an adaptive mechanism to this be to store a higher percentage of unsaturated fat in these areas in order to avoid the congealing that would occur to saturated fats?

backlash79

I'd also be curious if it's more of a chicken and and egg phenomenon.I know for myself the leaner I get the more I tend to do abs, when I'm not geared towards fat loss as much my ab work tends to slide as well.  Since I'm on a fat loss cycle at the moment I'm probably going to give it a go on conditioning days. Worst case is that it doesn't work right and I did some more abs. So a win even if a loss.

Robert Gray
    Participant

One correlate that I'm not sure they mentioned in that article was that muscle mass burns more energy than fat mass.  In addition to everything the article stated, if you're doing extra leg and core work and building up the muscles in problem areas, wouldn't it stand to reason that the extra lean mass in those areas would break down more fatty tissue in those problem areas for energy? (on the proper diet for the individual?)

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I read this. But I have 2 different interwoven thoughts and theories on this. Most would agree that stubborn areas of fat are usually the ones that start accumulating fat first. Stomach, love handles in men and buttocks, hips, thighs in women generally barring metabolic and hormonal derangements. 1.) I think stubborn fat is more linked to the fat composition of the tissue. The higher Polyunsaturated fat is in the diet the more is stored percentage wise. The fat the body produces on its own is more saturated. The body also prefers to burn saturated fat first since polyunsaturated fats slow metabolic rate by interferring with the thyroid. The net effect is accumulation of PUFAs over the years and thus a more "suboptimal" fat ratio. Since certain areas seem to be first to store and last to lose, it stands to reason that those areas become more condensed with the PUFA the body is reluctant to burn (oxidize).2.) Heat also has a part in an organisms ratio of production towards saturated or unsaturated fats (thinking plants here mostly). The colder the temperature the higher percentage of fat created will be unsaturated in order to stay liquid in the conditions. The higher the temperature the higher percentage of saturated fat (think coconuts) will be created since saturated fat is more stable. How does this relate to us? Well I conceed this second idea is less likely a factor than my previous statement, but I find it significant that the fatter areas of the body do indeed have less blood flow and usually exhibit cooler temperatures than the leaner or less fat bound areas. Would an adaptive mechanism to this be to store a higher percentage of unsaturated fat in these areas in order to avoid the congealing that would occur to saturated fats?

By temperature you mean body temperature?

Gl;itch.e

By temperature you mean body temperature?

Mostly. People with lowered metabolisms usually have much lower average body temperature and pulse rate/blood flow. But also fat builds on top of itself and gets further away from the "core" and becomes more exposed to the elements. So that in colder enviroments these areas can be even colder than the bodys internal averages. The skin over fat in the love handle areas for instance is always colder to touch than everywhere else on me. That speaks to the lower blood flow that they mention in the article but I believe it may also skew the ratio of fatty acid make up. I did a really piss poor search but couldnt find anything that would validate this idea. Just theory at the mo. I think my first idea would hold more water.

TCB
    Participant

Mostly. People with lowered metabolisms usually have much lower average body temperature and pulse rate/blood flow. But also fat builds on top of itself and gets further away from the "core" and becomes more exposed to the elements. So that in colder enviroments these areas can be even colder than the bodys internal averages. The skin over fat in the love handle areas for instance is always colder to touch than everywhere else on me. That speaks to the lower blood flow that they mention in the article but I believe it may also skew the ratio of fatty acid make up. I did a really piss poor search but couldnt find anything that would validate this idea. Just theory at the mo. I think my first idea would hold more water.

Perhaps it's just that the body recognizes the extra insulation there, thus it doesn't need as much blood flow to regulate body temp. Pure hypothesis.

Gl;itch.e

Perhaps it's just that the body recognizes the extra insulation there, thus it doesn't need as much blood flow to regulate body temp. Pure hypothesis.

Theres also the theory that fat is stored around the abdomen as an evolutionary shock absorber for the internal organs.

Gnomer
    Participant

Theres also the theory that fat is stored around the abdomen as an evolutionary shock absorber for the internal organs.

that's the one I feel makes a good deal of sense to me. Most other internal organs have some sort of protection aside from your skin ie skull, ribcage but the abdomen doesn't have such a solid protective layer so storing some extra fat there would be ideal for keeping those organs warmer and safer.

Gl;itch.e

Just came across this site where the guy posted a few studies about the different ratio of fatty acid composition in various parts of the body. http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2013/11/19/thigh-and-buttock-fat-depots-more-unsaturated-than-abdominal-fat-depots/This lends more credence to my thoughts on 'Stubborn' area's of fat being more unsaturated and thus easier to store and harder to lose from.

Tracy Jarchow
    Participant

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that. It does make sense from a body efficiency standpoint that if a muscle is demanding energy that the body would attempt to use stored energy from the region close to the muscle rather than take it from an area several feet away.I'm going to try some of this and see if I can find my abs in a mirror sometime!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Targeted Fat Mobilization

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?