Test taking in the morning -Full or Fasted?

• This topic has 4 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Spatz

Curious if anyone has any opinions on this front, or any science to back it up. Scenario: You've got a big, important test to take (literally only get two tries in a lifetime... So pretty important) at 8:30 in the morning. This test will last roughly 3 hours.Do you eat a big protein and fat breakfast (bacon and eggs) or do you drink a bunch of coffee and cream and/or coconut oil to tide you over?If you go the coffee route would it be a good idea to eat a very large meal the night before at a late hour? What about carbs in this meal, would that be beneficial?I've read that children do better by skipping breakfast in school, but I've also heard don't fast over 12 hours. Thoughts? Opinions? Peer reviewed papers? Double blind studies? I'll take anything you've got. 🙂

alextheGR8

I think the answer comes down to the individual. I personally am a bad test taker, have a lot of trouble focusing. When I read a question, a word from that question sends my mind thinking on different tangents. So what I do is make sure that I cut out hunger as a variable. If I am hungry during a test, all I will do is think about being hungry. Most of the time coffee and HWC will take care of this, but if you routinely have bacon and eggs right before you start your day, I think you would be fine either way. Good luck!

Bradley R. Collins
    Participant

I'm a big fan of not changing the routine.  I almost never eat breakfast so when I do I tend to feel full and lethargic, so for me I would just try to keep my normal routine as best as possible.  If normal is to eat something during ths hours the test is still going on, maybe bring something portable into the test?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I agree it comes down to individual as well.  Personally for me, I feel most mentally sharp when I eat a small to moderate sized breakfast.  I like Charles Poliquin's idea that you want acetylcholine.  So for me I would eat a small steak with an egg or two.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Test taking in the morning -Full or Fasted?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?