Test to Estrogen ratio in various sports

• This topic has 3 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Gnomer
    Participant

found this interestinghttp://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/03/endocrine-side-effects-of-athletic.htmltest readings for canoeing was crazy high and powerlifting was crazy low

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

found this interestinghttp://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/03/endocrine-side-effects-of-athletic.htmltest readings for canoeing was crazy high and powerlifting was crazy low

It makes perfect sense.  As they mention in the article, powerlifters tend to be fatter than other athletes and they tend to be much older.  What they didn't mention in the article is that powerlifting also attracts some very unathletic populations because pretty everybody can squat, bench, and deadlift.  Check out a local powerlifting meet and most of the lifters are actually pretty weak.

Gnomer
    Participant

It makes perfect sense.  As they mention in the article, powerlifters tend to be fatter than other athletes and they tend to be much older.

yea i understood the powerlifting thing.. i guess the canoeing makes sense as most are younger and in shape.. just found it sort of interesting how much higher canoeing was than the others.. track & field being that low was strange to me though

Gl;itch.e

One thing Adel didn't touch on that I thought he would (he's pretty astute) is the possibility of enhanced clearance or turnover of testosterone in powerlifters due to increased muscle mass and androgen “receptor” activity/content. Basically the stuff is being created but used rather than built up. This would explain the usual documented response to training where you illicit a small rise in testosterone during training only to have a dip post workout. 

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

One thing Adel didn't touch on that I thought he would (he's pretty astute) is the possibility of enhanced clearance or turnover of testosterone in powerlifters due to increased muscle mass and androgen "receptor" activity/content. Basically the stuff is being created but used rather than built up. This would explain the usual documented response to training where you illicit a small rise in testosterone during training only to have a dip post workout.

Eh I don't know, the Weightlifters had rather high T levels.  Weightlifters aren't as muscular as powerlifters, but they still carry around a decent amount of mass.I personally still think it's due to the poor level of talent in powerlifting.  It attracts a lot of old, fat, and unathletic people due to it's nature.

Gl;itch.e

One thing Adel didn't touch on that I thought he would (he's pretty astute) is the possibility of enhanced clearance or turnover of testosterone in powerlifters due to increased muscle mass and androgen "receptor" activity/content. Basically the stuff is being created but used rather than built up. This would explain the usual documented response to training where you illicit a small rise in testosterone during training only to have a dip post workout.

Eh I don't know, the Weightlifters had rather high T levels.  Weightlifters aren't as muscular as powerlifters, but they still carry around a decent amount of mass.I personally still think it's due to the poor level of talent in powerlifting.  It attracts a lot of old, fat, and unathletic people due to it's nature.

That's one possible reason I guess. I suppose it would depend on the population. where these people all top of their sport or all rank amateurs? I read it yesterday but I can't remember if it was stated.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

That's one possible reason I guess. I suppose it would depend on the population. where these people all top of their sport or all rank amateurs? I read it yesterday but I can't remember if it was stated.

Now that I read it, it says volunteered elite athletes.  Don't know how they determine who's elite though.  The measurements were taken post competition so your idea about increased androgen receptors is plausible.  It still makes me wonder about weightlifting though.  Maybe because weightlifting lacks eccentric work and the loads used are much lighter.

Gl;itch.e

Now that I read it, it says volunteered elite athletes.  Don't know how they determine who's elite though.  The measurements were taken post competition so your idea about increased androgen receptors is plausible.  It still makes me wonder about weightlifting though.  Maybe because weightlifting lacks eccentric work and the loads used are much lighter.

I was actually going to mention the eccentric component. Well spotted.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Test to Estrogen ratio in various sports

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?