The Perfect Carb Nite

• This topic has 7 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

nz6stringaxe
    Keymaster

I've been tinkering with Carb Nite for almost 3 weeks now. My first carb nite was a personal experiment inspired by Kiefer's recommendation to “go crazy and then ratchet back in order to observe changes” or something to that extent. It ended up being about 850g carbs from a mixture of savory, sweet, and liquid sources. I'm pretty sure I gained a noticeable amount of fat, but it was all part of the experiment. It led me to some questions though.First. Kiefer, you recommend avoiding high fructose corn syrup, but isn't the molecular difference between that and sucrose only about 5% fructose? If so, why shouldn't we ALSO do your best to avoid sucrose altogether? The main reason I ask stems from all this talk of junk where most sweet things are typically made with sugar IF NOT high fructose corn syrup (bakery stuff and the like). Second. I noticed the more sweet carb sources gave me a bit of a headache and just a difficult-to-describe foggy feeling. I felt much better after things like pancakes and potatoes. Here are a couple of related questions - are there any "feelings" to try to aim for and some to avoid? Also, are there any carb sources we really ought to avoid (oats, sweet potatoes, other "clean" carbs etc.)?Third. As someone else mentioned, what are your general recommendations for protein and fat? I noticed I haven't been dropping fat so after my 850g binge, I figured I ought to cut the fat down a bit to nearly match the calories from protein. I know how you feel about calorie counting, but I don't feel confident I can test drive a new dietary plan on feel alone. I've been targeting about 1.25g/lb bodyweight for protein and about half that amount for fat.One thing you have said in your articles that has got me confused is usage and dosing of BCAAs. Some mornings I wake up (around 10) and take 200-400mg caffeine and do fasted walking or cycling (<125bpm), but I would usually also take a serving of Scivation Xtend BCAAs. On training days I would do the same thing, but take two scoops of Xtend (one before, one during), and have a whey isolate/5g leucine/coconut oil or cream shake after. Either way, I wouldn't eat for a few hours until about 4pm. The BCAAs were something I just automatically took upon waking since it seemed like a logical idea considering I wouldn't be eating for about 2-6 hours. However, you mentioned that leucine stimulates insulin production...so that made me rethink the whole thing. In that case, should I just take caffeine upon waking and that's it? Perhaps some coconut oil/cream and/or fish oil would be alright too, just no BCAAs?Thank you for your suggestions and ideas. I hope your fresh strategies gain you notoriety and help to inform the gym rats out there!

Mike
    Participant

Save your BCAA for post-workout and just add heavy cream or coconut oil (as a source of energy) to your morning coffee and you'll be fine.

zewski

well, I know that its best to get most of your carbs during carb nite from glucose since fructose will only refill liver stores (however some fructose is ok since that will allow the glucose to be saved for muscles rather than wasting it refilling the liver)As far as a "clean" carb-nite, try going as gluten free as possible during your next CN and see how you feel. I'm sure you'll feel much better doing it this way. Also listen to Kiefer's interview on Bulletproofexec.com , they talk about a paleo re-feed for CBL'ing, but it still applies to a CNLastly, get enough protein (which is less than you think), and focus on getting the MAJORITY of your cals from fat. The 1:1 ratio is a minimum rather than an ideal to shoot for. When in doubt, eat more butter.Of course I'm only on my second week of CNS solution so this is mostly speculation on my part. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than myself can add to this thread.  😀

dawatts22

well, I know that its best to get most of your carbs during carb nite from glucose since fructose will only refill liver stores (however some fructose is ok since that will allow the glucose to be saved for muscles rather than wasting it refilling the liver)As far as a "clean" carb-nite, try going as gluten free as possible during your next CN and see how you feel. I'm sure you'll feel much better doing it this way. Also listen to Kiefer's interview on Bulletproofexec.com , they talk about a paleo re-feed for CBL'ing, but it still applies to a CNLastly, get enough protein (which is less than you think), and focus on getting the MAJORITY of your cals from fat. The 1:1 ratio is a minimum rather than an ideal to shoot for. When in doubt, eat more butter.Of course I'm only on my second week of CNS solution so this is mostly speculation on my part. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than myself can add to this thread.  😀

Naomi has mentioned 1.2g per lb of bodyweight for protein which for me equates to about 252 grams.  Why do you say less than you think?  Just curious.  Sorry to hijack the thread a bit.  8)

Damon Amato
    Participant

For CNS you don't need nearly that much protein to just retain muscle, since you'll be using fat as fuel anyway. It's talking about increasing mass that requires 'specific to bodyweight' amounts of protein to potentiate.

dawatts22

For CNS you don't need nearly that much protein to just retain muscle, since you'll be using fat as fuel anyway. It's talking about increasing mass that requires 'specific to bodyweight' amounts of protein to potentiate.

That makes sense.  So if I'm doing shockwave ripped prtcl and CNS and my goal s fat loss I can dial my protein back?  I've been trying to be careful to get enough.

sckiely
    Participant

Protein is not nearly as necessary to CNS as it is to CBL. I would only worry about counting carbs on CNS, making sure to add fat to everything you eat and everything else will take care of itself.

zewski

Yea protein is more important for muscle growthIt's only important for muscle retention when your body is converting muscle to sugar because of a lack of cals. Luckily with CNS you're burning fat instead of glucose for fuel, so excess protein is not necessary. However, this makes consuming enough FAT that much more important. I've seen naomi rec as much as 70% of cals come from fat.

dawatts22

This will work well.  I've been forcing down the protein.  Thanks.

Naomi Most

Naomi has mentioned 1.2g per lb of bodyweight for protein which for me equates to about 252 grams.  Why do you say less than you think?  Just curious.  Sorry to hijack the thread a bit.  8)

That's what I would say is an upper limit.  It makes sense for someone like me, at 130lbs.  It stops making sense when you start talking about people at 170lbs and over.Even 1g per lb of bodyweight for me can feel like it's on the high side, and it matters greatly which training day I'm on (I always eat a LOT of red meat the day after deadlifting, which is when my total protein for the day could easily get to 160g).  I just try to consume lots of fat, with the protein being the secondary concern. Some days wind up being higher protein than others.You can easily go as low as .6g / lb bodyweight on any given day and suffer zero muscle loss.  I'd say most people wind up in the .8g protein / lb area when they're above 200lbs and losing fat.Sorry that these numbers have been thrown around a bit carelessly, I'm sure it's confusing. The thing to realize is that getting some prescribed number of protein every day is just not that important.  What's important is learning to eat a little more instinctively, because you'll never need the same amounts of fat and protein every day.Best rule of thumb for ULC dieting: if in doubt, eat more fat.

dawatts22

That's what I would say is an upper limit.  It makes sense for someone like me, at 130lbs.  It stops making sense when you start talking about people at 170lbs and over.Even 1g per lb of bodyweight for me can feel like it's on the high side, and it matters greatly which training day I'm on (I always eat a LOT of red meat the day after deadlifting, which is when my total protein for the day could easily get to 160g).  I just try to consume lots of fat, with the protein being the secondary concern. Some days wind up being higher protein than others.You can easily go as low as .6g / lb bodyweight on any given day and suffer zero muscle loss.  I'd say most people wind up in the .8g protein / lb area when they're above 200lbs and losing fat.Sorry that these numbers have been thrown around a bit carelessly, I'm sure it's confusing. The thing to realize is that getting some prescribed number of protein every day is just not that important.  What's important is learning to eat a little more instinctively, because you'll never need the same amounts of fat and protein every day.Best rule of thumb for ULC dieting: if in doubt, eat more fat.

Thanks Naomi.  I appreciate the clarification.  I won't sweat the protein if I see it below 180. 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Perfect Carb Nite

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?