The "Superhero" Effect

• This topic has 8 voices and 42 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

CBachelor17

The “SuperHero” Effect is what I call it-For months my body was used to training depleted. Now most of my sessions I am full of Glycogen. (I cycle BL-ULC-BL-ULC). I find myself at the "end" of a session, and adding volume. Which of course isnt a bad thing, or is it?I wanted to start this thread to see if anyone else experiences going into 1 Hour+ with VERY little rest, lifting heavy, and wanting to still continue. Im just concerned that I might "over do it." Looking for advice on when to know when to cut off. Right now Im sticking to 90 minutes max. I usually finish the "scheduled routine" in 50-60 minutes. The extra time is usually added volume+Max lifts, and of course abdominal work. I usually do abdominal work after my PWO shake though. All the weight training comes before PWO shake in most cases. Sometimes a few sets afterwards if I feel the need to supplement.

Richard Schmitt

Its actually called “The Hulk Effect”…

Scope75

Its actually called "The Hulk Effect"...

X2 and that's exactly what I thought when I read the title to this thread. Hulk not Superhero lol

CBachelor17

I started this thread by saying “thats what I call it”  :-[

beelly
    Participant

imo although you feel you can add more, you should probably limit yourself to your normal workout. I try to stick to the motto “less is more”. no need to overwork yourself. injuries can occur, then you won't be lifting shit.

CBachelor17

right thats what Im thinking…. When Im in their I just get tunnel vision, and often Ill conciously think “One more set and Ill get the most out of this workout” or for example on a chest and bicep session. If I go to work abdominals after the main training session, and I start to loose the heat-and pump, ill feel like doing more sets to further exhaust the muscle fibers. Idk….I love it dont get me wrong, but I sometimes think I go to far. So Im just looking for advise, or someone that can relate to this to give me tips on how to know when to call it.

Gl;itch.e

Its actually called "The Hulk Effect"...

Thats just Kiefers playful title for training Sans carbs. It mainly results from the catecholamines/stress hormones like adrenaline. Not really much to do with being glycogen replete from carbs. And Id go so far to say that that system can provide a bit of "omph" for some heavy lifts, but not so much for a large amount of glycogen dependant hypertrophy work. 

CBachelor17

Right, I know when I was sans carbs i felt like I could go days on end as well. Maybe its just the new training regement im doing (shockwave). But I have added volume to every workout as I have stated.

David M Pope
    Participant

Have you tried/looked into a HD-Shockwave hybrid? That satisfied my last for volume back when  was running SW. That on top of 5/3/1 main lifts. ...Man, I bastardized that yish... Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

https://one.body.io/forums/topic/inchxinch-b2b-log-were-in-hell-gentlemen/

CBachelor17

Is it an app? I honestly haven't looked at it.

TCB
    Participant

I think he means CBL-HD, and I don't think it's in the app, but dunno, I don't have anything iOS.And I like "Superhero" .. fits better with the SHIT acronym. 😉It's funny, cuz this week I'm doing ULC instead of backloading, so I'm feeling the exact opposite. I just went to do my Wendler squats and on the + set, I failed on the 5th rep and I was expecting to get at least 8, ha.But... with backloading, I'm kinda of the mind of the quote: "No such thing as overtraining; only under-recovering." And backloading is a huge step to recovering. I'd say to use your head, you'll know when too much is too much. If you still got juice and wanna keep going, I'd say go. You've been at this long enough to know when you're getting into the danger zone, I think. Trust yourself.

CBachelor17

Haha thanks  😉Yea honestly I have a good grasp on my body, and know when its telling me to stop. I recently had a "bad day" in the gym following a BL. I kept the scheduled routine, but the intensity, therefore weight, was adjusted accordingly. My body works extrememly well ULC. Though I am finding recovery to be much greater now that I am CBL every other day. Rather than shoving down carbs every 5 days. CBL-HD sounds interesting, ill have to do some research.. As I said Im honestly 100% unfamiliar with that.

David M Pope
    Participant

Haha thanks  😉Yea honestly I have a good grasp on my body, and know when its telling me to stop. I recently had a "bad day" in the gym following a BL. I kept the scheduled routine, but the intensity, therefore weight, was adjusted accordingly. My body works extrememly well ULC. Though I am finding recovery to be much greater now that I am CBL every other day. Rather than shoving down carbs every 5 days. CBL-HD sounds interesting, ill have to do some research.. As I said Im honestly 100% unfamiliar with that.

Yeah, CBL-HD is what I meant. Actually typed that then went back and modified it cause I thought it was SW-HD. Whatever. Worth looking in to if you wanna see how Kiefer programmed some higher volume work. I believe it was an article on DH but dunno if it got carried across to A.io... Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

https://one.body.io/forums/topic/inchxinch-b2b-log-were-in-hell-gentlemen/

TCB
    Participant

CBL-HD sounds interesting, ill have to do some research.. As I said Im honestly 100% unfamiliar with that.

It's the program Kiefer wrote specifically for hypertrophy while on CBL. I'm not claiming it's the best/only way to train on CBL.. But much like Shockwave was designed for CNS, CBL-HD is one of the ways designed for CBL.It's the program I've been following for my 3 month CBL experiment and gotten decent results.. Though, I don't particularly enjoy the program, except leg day, ha. I've made tweaks along the way, also.Kiefer's write up on it: http://athlete.io/1226/heavy-duty-cbl/

CBachelor17

Thanks for the Link!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The "Superhero" Effect

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?