The "Superhero" Effect

• This topic has 8 voices and 42 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

CBachelor17

Well the legs Im not to worried about. I can figure some negatives on that, as mentioned above regarding safety bar positioning. I more thinking of Bench Press really. Tonight I did Pull Down negatives just fine as well.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Its actually called "The Hulk Effect"...

Thats just Kiefers playful title for training Sans carbs. It mainly results from the catecholamines/stress hormones like adrenaline. Not really much to do with being glycogen replete from carbs. And Id go so far to say that that system can provide a bit of "omph" for some heavy lifts, but not so much for a large amount of glycogen dependant hypertrophy work.

I don't know, in my experience I only get the hulk effect if I have had a backload a day or two before the workout.  If I am low carb several days before the workout, I feel weak, crappy, and lethargic. 

Its actually called "The Hulk Effect"...

Thats just Kiefers playful title for training Sans carbs. It mainly results from the catecholamines/stress hormones like adrenaline. Not really much to do with being glycogen replete from carbs. And Id go so far to say that that system can provide a bit of "omph" for some heavy lifts, but not so much for a large amount of glycogen dependant hypertrophy work.

I don't know, in my experience I only get the hulk effect if I have had a backload a day or two before the workout.  If I am low carb several days before the workout, I feel weak, crappy, and lethargic.

I get it, but it falls of pretty quickly. Within 5 minutes of starting the workout everything clicks and weight feel light, I'm explosive, I feel great. By 20 minutes I'm slowing down and feeling tired, by 30 minutes I'm shot. I'm not very explosive and my repping power is gone.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I don't use a workout partner either.. So for negatives I make sure to be damn near failure, then do even slower eccentrics. But a lot of stuff you can use "body english" to get the weight up for the negative, if you reach failure..Not the best option, but it works.

Another option is doing unilateral work.  That way you can use the free limb to help you.  For instance you can do one legged leg presses or pretty much any dumbbell exercise.

TCB
    Participant

I agree, stopping will break the TUT and start to allow the muscles to rest. But i think i could get up, get the bar up, and reset in much less than 30 seconds. So as long as I make those negatives really painful they could be just as effective. Idk, as said something Ill for sure be experimenting with in upcoming sessions.

Honestly, At that point why not just use a leg press or machine press?You could even do 2 legs for concentric and single leg for negative if you want to keep going past failure. Doing 2 limb concentric and 1 limb negative is actually a super effective way to work some heavy negatives.However, don't go to crazy on the negatives, to much will begin to decrease glycogen re-synthesis.

I think he was referring to benching

I agree, stopping will break the TUT and start to allow the muscles to rest. But i think i could get up, get the bar up, and reset in much less than 30 seconds. So as long as I make those negatives really painful they could be just as effective. Idk, as said something Ill for sure be experimenting with in upcoming sessions.

Honestly, At that point why not just use a leg press or machine press?You could even do 2 legs for concentric and single leg for negative if you want to keep going past failure. Doing 2 limb concentric and 1 limb negative is actually a super effective way to work some heavy negatives.However, don't go to crazy on the negatives, to much will begin to decrease glycogen re-synthesis.

I wasn't really sure, but the idea still applies. You can use a machine or hammer strength and use 2 arms to get the weight up, then 1 for the negative.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I wasn't really sure, but the idea still applies. You can use a machine or hammer strength and use 2 arms to get the weight up, then 1 for the negative.

Yea, I'm actually not a fan of using negatives (for the purpose of hypertrophy) and forced reps on big barbell exercises anyways.  It's just too dangerous and too much of a hassle.  Just do some sets on the bench press and do your negative sets on the hammer strength machine like Trevor said.

CBachelor17

Yea will do. One thing I already use and has been pretty effective is when going to failure on flys. The last rep I can get up I go very slowly down for another, then twist my wrists and explode up in the DB Press Motion, then slowly back down as a fly again.

CBachelor17

Im already sore…..Hit a FB(Press) Routine this morning. Time got away from me. Total working time 1hour 38minutes. Not taking into count the rest periods in the initial (3x10)(5/3/1) Squats and Bench. But still it was a long one!

TCB
    Participant

Ha, I do that all the time.. Look up and it's been 45 min and I still have a bunch of stuff to do.And I agree using the hammer strength could be handy.. Just my gym sucks and I hate the machines they have (HOIST machines. They're weird.) and it'd be nearly impossible to occupy a bench and a machine at the same time. So I just make do with what I can.

CBachelor17

My gym just doesnt have machines. 2 actually. Smith and Hammer Strength Chest Fly. Its dark, grungy, and dirty just like I like it. Looks like something out of Pumping Iron, respectfully. & It wasnt that I had a bunch to do, I kept adding  ::) I just wanted to keep pumping!!I did know when to call it today. Hit the point where I felt "satisfied." Then did some cable crunch and got the F*** out.

TCB
    Participant

My gym just doesnt have machines. 2 actually. Smith and Hammer Strength Chest Fly. Its dark, grungy, and dirty just like I like it. Looks like something out of Pumping Iron, respectfully. & It wasnt that I had a bunch to do, I kept adding  ::) I just wanted to keep pumping!!I did know when to call it today. Hit the point where I felt "satisfied." Then did some cable crunch and got the F*** out.

Jealous. No gyms around me like that except CF gyms. And none of them are big enough that you can just go in and do your own thing without disturbing the "classes." Plus they cost an arm and a leg.Big fan of the minimalist/weightlifting/powerlifting type gyms.Oh, and since you're like the king of doing ab work.. You ever tried long pause front squats? Brutal. I'd done pause squats before, but heard someone talking about how they built someone up by having them get a heavy front squat weight, walk it out, hold for 15 seconds, lower, hold for 7 seconds in the hole, then stand up, and rack it. I tried it. Holy suck factor.

CBachelor17

Squats in general are killer on the abdominals. But front squats even more so. I have not tried the walkout your referring to but it sounds killer! Might have to give it a go!

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The "Superhero" Effect

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?