The value of "forced exercise"

• This topic has 5 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Naomi Most

Here's an article about a study relating to Parkinson's, but what they found (in rats) applies to normal/healthy people as well.  Perhaps the following is part of why working out with a trainer or gym buddy gets you a better workout?http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/12/what-parkinsons-teaches-us-about-the-brain/"The preliminary results are raising fascinating questions not only about whether exercise can help to combat the disease but also — and of broader import — whether intense, essentially forced workouts affect brains differently than gentler activity does, even in those of us who are healthy.""Scientists have known for some time that in lab animals, forced and voluntary exercise can lead to different outcomes. Generally, mice and rats enjoy running, so if you put a running wheel in a rodent’s cage, it will hop aboard and run. That activity, obviously, is voluntary. But if you place an animal on a treadmill and control the speed so that it must keep pace, often with help from a finger prod or electrical shock, the activity becomes forced.Interestingly, in animals, the effects, especially on the brain, typically are more beneficial after forced exercise. In one study from 2008, rats forced to run wound up with significantly more new brain cells after eight weeks than those who ran when they chose, even though the latter animals ran faster. And in another, similar experiment, mice that were required to exercise on treadmills subsequently performed better on cognitive tests than those given access to running wheels."

sckiely
    Participant

That's very interesting, thanks

Hmmm … so you're saying that weight lifting and working out in general doesn't make you stupid?

Chris

so what you saying i can make my kid smarter by forcing him into running about the street with an electric prod, than if i just let him run round the house by himself.

Stephen Davis
    Participant

so what you saying i can make my kid smarter by forcing him into running about the street with an electric prod, than if i just let him run round the house by himself.

Now, that is funny stuff.  And worth I shot on my three little germ factories!! 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The value of "forced exercise"

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?