To easy?

• This topic has 3 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

pshannon

Lets be honest here. Yes, I have listened to EVERY podcast/read almost every article by Keifer, and researched (to the nth degree) to pick his brain about the intensity to the workouts. He says it shouldn't kill you, and you should leave thinking you want to do more. Stimulate don't Annihilate! but but butI ran Chest/Bi Day today and honestly i'm a little disappointed. I really wanted to do more. Even though its 5 days into Prep  I still had energy to spare. I mean drag myself out the gym., rarely happens.Be honest does anyone else think its to easy?

Nman
    Participant

Were you doing the recommended rep ranges?  Do you think you went too light?  I did chest/bi yesterday and it felt good…I went fairly heavy and really focused on the concentric portion of each rep. 

pjmolinelli

I am struggling with the same thing.  I am trying to up my intensity with each rep.  It could be that I am just so used to overtraining that anything else seems weak.  Kind of the if 10 is good, then 20 is better mentality. Which I am hoping is wrong and SP is going to add some lean mass.  I just started it about a week ago so I will let you know.

pshannon

I am struggling with the same thing.  I am trying to up my intensity with each rep.  It could be that I am just so used to overtraining that anything else seems weak.  Kind of the if 10 is good, then 20 is better mentality. Which I am hoping is wrong and SP is going to add some lean mass.  I just started it about a week ago so I will let you know.

PJ I did my first full body building workout today for the first time in months and I feel great. Since your a competitive bodybuilder what'd your favorite split with reps and sets? I know this is asking a lot but I love the PUMP that i have right now, and would like this to continue. 

pjmolinelli

I have done just about every scheme known to mankind.  Before I started doing CBL and now SP I followed a basic scheme that I obtained from Frank Zane and Skip Lacour.  Lacour is probably one of the best natural bodybuilders out there, although he is retired now.  Zane just had great aesthetics.  He actually has a training pamphlet that he wrote years ago that is still relevant today.Spit was back/bi/traps, followed by day off, then legs, then chest/shoulder/tri.  I used a periodization format that was broken down in cycles.  12-15 reps for first cycle, 9-11 for next, 6-8, for next, then finished with a 4-6.  Then took a whole week off.One cycle consisted of running through each body part 4 times.  My training days were day on, day off, day on, day on, day off, then repeat 4 times within that rep ranges.  I only did 2 working sets for each excessive, kept track of every set and rep, and always tried to beat that the next time.  As I got closer to a show, I would increase the frequency of my training days such that only for the last month I was doing 3 on 1 off.It was an effective training program, using a lot of basic compound movements.  Looked my best ever my last competition which was this past November, but I compete as a middleweight, which is always very tough class in a natural show.  I feel I need more thickness and density.  I am in the first call out, but quickly lose out to guys that are just thicker than I am.  That is why I am doing CBL and SP.  I am training 5 on 2 off now, following the SP now, but I am adding a few more excersies here and there, traditional rep style in the 8-10 range on select body parts.  Still keeping consistent with the basic template, just modifying it some for me.  Still feeling it out as I go.That make sense?

pshannon

Two working sets? All that makes sense, and seems to give me the volume I want. Rest periods between sets I'm guessing were shorter for higher rep, and longer for lower rep? I liked the SW it just didnt seem like the volume I needed. I think I need to build up strength before starting it.Thanks for the response

pjmolinelli

No problem at all.I don't count any warm up sets, and actually only use them for the first major compound exercise of the workout.  I usually do not do any warm up sets after that.  I might do a couple of very light weight sets before I get to the 2 sets that actually count.  For those 2 sets it is all about beating what weight/rep I did last time, in the confines of acceptable form.  I really strive for maximum intensity as I am only doing 2 sets.You are right on the rest periods, although I do not look at the clock.  I just wait until I think I am ready to give all I can for the next set.  As it works out, i usually took longer doing heavy weight.Right now I am doing the ELECT sets as indicated in SP, as well as the other exercises, then adding one other execrcise for that body part using 2 working sets in what Kiefer calls Level 2 which is basically straight normal reps/sets.That for now, and for me, seems to give me enough volume that I don't feel like I am leaving the gym short changed, but still keeping with trying not to overtrain and overload my CNS to get the benefits of SP.  It is hard not for me to fall into the slippery slope of more is better, and to make sure that I am training not for the sake of training but to gain the maximum benefits I can.  Work smarter not harder type thing.  Not gonna lie though, it is tough after years of higher volume training.Time will tell, and pictures do not lie (well I guess now with photo shopping they can, but you know what I mean)

AMtrey

are the ELECT sets suppose to be add on weights and then do the next set?I practically just load the weight and hit my next set.And I kind of finished my Shoulders/Tri workout in only about 35 mins.I didn't really take much rest throughout the whole workout though. But it is always the last 2 exercises (2 and U) that gets me "tired" I don't really find the 5x3 portion tiring only for the squats though.Am I doing it right? Also, I'm a female, not really moving crazy weights like you guys. 😛

pshannon

are the ELECT sets suppose to be add on weights and then do the next set?I practically just load the weight and hit my next set.And I kind of finished my Shoulders/Tri workout in only about 35 mins.I didn't really take much rest throughout the whole workout though. But it is always the last 2 exercises (2 and U) that gets me "tired" I don't really find the 5x3 portion tiring only for the squats though.Am I doing it right? Also, I'm a female, not really moving crazy weights like you guys. 😛

Here's the thing that Kiefer didnt explain that Thib from T-nation did a good job at. On the ELECT sets if its a move that you want to get better on a certain lift like the standing press, take smaller increments to each jump. For instance 3@853@903@953@1003@1053@1103@1153@120So since my OHP is weak compared to all my other lifts I jumped only 5lbs each, and did a total of 8 working sets instead of the 5. This is to focus on a lift you want or to just get more work in.

AMtrey

how about resting in between ELECT sets? Is it as what Kiefer mentioned in Shockwave that the rest period is only adding weights to the bar then go for the next set?

pshannon

how about resting in between ELECT sets? Is it as what Kiefer mentioned in Shockwave that the rest period is only adding weights to the bar then go for the next set?

No rest unless you REALLY need it. Just pop that weight on and GO. And my really need I mean your GRINDING the weight up and you went to heavy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

To easy?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?