Training for Carb-Backloading

• This topic has 5 voices and 23 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

LatasaurusFlex
    Keymaster

I posted this in the Carb-Backloading forum, but it sort of evolved into more of a training framework, so I'm tweaking it and reposting here.How should I train to make my muscle soak up carbs?In CB 1.0, the training section says that eccentric focused training is inefficient for tGLUT translocation, which is one of the main reasons carb-backloading works.  I was curious if doing the opposite, concentric focused training, would cause the opposite and translocate tGLUTs more effectively.  Since all the experts are most likely ridiculously busy, I went and did some reading.  http://bit.ly/vgXZUJ - gives more information about training and glycogen resynthesis, which is part of the equationThibaudeau on T-nation frequently says that explosive movements increase insulin sensitivity in the muscles, but we know what he really means is that it causes tGLUT translocation in the muscles, and not fat.  From what I have read, tGLUT translocation is caused by contractions, though I would really appreciate some research articles to help me understand it more (hint hint).In athletics, explosive athletes are much leaner than endurance athletes.  A neat example of this is in strongmen, if you look at the lean competitors (marius, poundstone, ortymeyer) they do much better in the explosive lifts than the endurance ones, the larger competitors (shaw, zyvitcus, henry) they are more strong, less explosive.  Also, compare water polo players (strength-endurance sport) to a sprinter (fast)  both are strong, but one is explosive and the other can do high reps.  So I went about looking for explosive bodybuilding methods, and here is what I found:ProgramsThough T-Nation has a lot of garbage on it, Thibaudeau's training methodologies are pretty good (except for lately, he is pushing indigo 3G too hard, and is obsessed with making up new exercises).Besides that, two programs that I have found to be effective and concentric focused are:6 Weeks to Superhero - http://bit.ly/sfjMahThis program is geared towards fat loss with maximum muscle retention.  It is in a circut format, and goes from a heavy partial down to a ballistic exercise (ex, top half squat, full squat, clean, jump squat, vertical jump).  I found it very effective for teaching rate of force development and moderately effective for fat loss.A downside I found is it is difficult to give maximum effort on all the exercises due to cumulative fatigue, meaning you are not training at peak performance/activation every session.  High Performance Mass - http://bit.ly/vXBy2K , http://bit.ly/saQO8E , http://bit.ly/w0ND0JThis program is more strength/size focused, and prioritizes strengthening movement patterns, it also includes eccentricless isolation movements, which I found were great for recovery.  The Lat/Bicep workout is by far the best I have ever had, great for teaching you how to use your lats and isolate specific parts of your back during training.  The downside to this program is it does not have a fast pace, so isn't the best for body recomposition.  The movements are also not very explosive or heavy, so you find yourself doing a lot of sets at around 80% with a linear periodization to make gains.My Summary/TakeawayFrom all my reading I have found that the simplest concentric focused framework for training is:Dynamic first movement (bench press throw, clean, jump squat, explosive pull up)Heavy compound supersetted with ballistic movement (bench/plyo pushup, box jump/squat, row/med ball slam, deadlift/kettlebell swing)High rep assistance movement with band supersetted with closed chain movement (push up/band flyes, bw row/band lat pull down, band goodmorning/hip thrust, terminal knee exension/front squat)Add in a high volume finisher if you are feeling froggy. I find supersetting keeps my nervous system guessing and primed, and the band isolation exercises help me feel my muscles working in the closed chain movements. Supersetting also increases the pace of the workout, helping me burn more fat.High rep band work is concentric focused, but allows for you to do lots of reps and empty glycogen stores, giving you something to fill during your carb up after the workout.

Dave

great article. have you checked out Kiefers article (i.e. pamphlet) on the Shockwave Protocol? Thoughts? This question about training also raises points about the splits of the training sessions too. If resistance training potentiates tGLUT translocation is it limited to the muscle groups worked? Wouldn't a full body split provide more tGLUT translocation in more mucle fibers?

LatasaurusFlex

That's a cool question Dave, I would like to know the answer to that as well.  Hopefully an expert can say more, but I think that there are questions that need answers to determine which is better, full body vs split in regards to tGLUT translocation.  More = Better? Does training one muscle group with maximum volume/intensity (in the case of a bodypart split) move more tGLUT than just doing one exercise for that bodypart?  That is to say, how much is the right amount to maximize tGLUT activity?  Flooding with FoodIf only a little bit of stimulation is required, then could we train more bodyparts more frequently, and therefore grow more often?  Or is it better to focus each carb-up to a specific area, basically flooding the muscles with nutrients when they are eager to grow?  Can I eat enough to maximise the development of my body after a full body workout?This all might just boil down to the traditional argument of full vs split, which has been around forever.  My Choice and WhyPersonally I prefer movement specific splits, because it allows for movement specific activation (priming the nervous system) and supersetting muscle specific activation (feeling, or pre exhausting weak points) with compound movements.  Upper body push/pull, lower body push/pull, maybe some weakpoint training.  I figure the harder you can contract a muscle (through activation and mind-muscle connection) the better you will be able to stimulate insulin sensitivity in that muscle group, I can't activate and 'feel' everything in a full body workout.  Shockwave ThoughtsI did read the Shockwave protocol, it seems excellent for body recomposition. I have a need to lift heavy weight, and I need activation and rest to do so.  Therefore, Shockwave wasn't the best choice for me. When I am training for to be lean, I was thinking it might be cool to do a superset of 2 opposite movements with wave loading in order to lose weight/keep muscle.Eg.  Weighted pull up/speed bench, speed pull up/ heavy bench, repeat, minimizing localized fatigue and maximizing the amount of work done, tempo of workout. Priming for the next set but resting the group while working the other part.  I'd like to hear some thoughts on that, I love criticism!   

Dave

Shockwave Thoughtssuperset of 2 opposite movements with wave loading in order to lose weight/keep muscle.

uncanny, just speaking with one of my friends who knows a lot more about training than I do and he mentioned this. Perfect Rep training then waveloading muscle groups that you feel you need extra work on.

LatasaurusFlex

Maybe your friend is a fan of the Thib forums from T-nation pre-indigo hype?I find small changes in the weight for wave loading doesn't feel right, but dropping a plate set to set is a nice contrast.  I also like to include bands because when I go from heavy=>fast I get a jolting sensation on the lighter sets, and when you go back to the heavy weight you blast it to lockout. 

Grantis

Latasauras, what do you mean by “drop a plate”? I've been wondering about waveloading vs. ELECT and I've stopped waveloading for the most part but wonder if its effective.

Richard Schmitt

What is waveloading? I do the Shockwave Protocol, and doing the Strength Accumlation for CBL. I'm wanting to decrease my BF% while still building Lean Muscle only (NO FAT)

LatasaurusFlex

Waveloading is varying the weight set to set, but not in the typical linear fashion.  For example on the bench press one might do 185x3 225x3 195x3 245x3 225x3 275x1 or something to that effect. This keeps your nervous system sort of 'on its toes' and teaches really good control and enforces max-acceleration and power, it helps to be really in-tune with your body.During the lighter sets you focus on maximum acceleration and it sort of 'primes' you for heavier sets.  When I say drop a plate I mean take off 90 lbs between sets.  I really like the way the following rep model feels, and it makes me feel really powerful when i bench:(after a warm up) 315x3, 225x3 with light bands, 315x3, 225 with light bands.....The weight is dramatically different, but when i accelerate a full 45 per side less than I did before, i get a jarring sensation, the bands eliminate the jarring, and make me accelerate the weight all the way, then when i do heavier sets my cns is primed to accelerate, even though the weight is static. 

Richard Schmitt

Waveloading is varying the weight set to set, but not in the typical linear fashion.  For example on the bench press one might do 185x3 225x3 195x3 245x3 225x3 275x1 or something to that effect. This keeps your nervous system sort of 'on its toes' and teaches really good control and enforces max-acceleration and power, it helps to be really in-tune with your body.During the lighter sets you focus on maximum acceleration and it sort of 'primes' you for heavier sets.  When I say drop a plate I mean take off 90 lbs between sets.  I really like the way the following rep model feels, and it makes me feel really powerful when i bench:(after a warm up) 315x3, 225x3 with light bands, 315x3, 225 with light bands.....The weight is dramatically different, but when i accelerate a full 45 per side less than I did before, i get a jarring sensation, the bands eliminate the jarring, and make me accelerate the weight all the way, then when i do heavier sets my cns is primed to accelerate, even though the weight is static.

Mhmm well I might have to consider in adding something like this to my workouts. Granted I'm doing the Shockwave Protocols (till the newer version comes out), and I'm not sure if applying this will affect any gains for CBL. I do appreciate clearing it up for me though.

Grantis

Thanks Latasaurus. I think I will try a lighter version of that.

LatasaurusFlex

Thanks Latasaurus. I think I will try a lighter version of that.

I imagine 185 and 135 would feel the same. Sometimes when you do it your nervous system becomes incredibly "primed" and you feel like you have had 10 cups of coffee, enjoy!

ADTS

You need access to an entire gym at once to complete some of the circuits Thibs recommends in his more recent programs.

LatasaurusFlex

You need access to an entire gym at once to complete some of the circuits Thibs recommends in his more recent programs.

about a minute of rest is recommended between a lot of the movements, i like to change the weights/rack while i rest, keep a good sweat and pace going.  Keeping a stash of plates next to your rack

JR

Amen

ADTS

Don't get me wrong, I like Thibs and think he's one of the smarter guys in the industry. A lot of his newer prescriptions are born out of him having access to a top tier performance facility, which is not the case for most people.His oly lifting background has also provided him with an interesting (neither good nor bad) perception of how muscle is optimally built.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Training for Carb-Backloading

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?