Training for Carb-Backloading

• This topic has 5 voices and 23 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

leprax

let's say one is fairly lean, visible six pack… 10% bf maybe less, i'm on CBL, for some mass  but mostly maintainance long cardio fasted, walking or riding 45-90 mins in the mornings, wanna bring out maybe lats and delts with workouts i do chest and back mon, legs tuesday, off wes, thursday back and tri's fridays delts and legs and some triceps on sat, sunday off walks and rides mostly everydayMY BACK LOADS ARE MOSTLY CLEAN I FAST IN THE AMHIT SOME PROTEINS AND FATS (LITTLE FAT MOSTLY ALMONDS) AT NOONPW 3-4 DAYS I EAT SOME OATS, COTTAGE CHEESE 60GRS CARBS AND A COUPLE HOUR LATER I EAT STEAK AND SOME SWEET POTATOS 80-100GR CARBS1 OR 2 DAYS I DO THE BACK LOAD WITH THE OATS AND COTTAGE CHEESE AND THEN I GO ALL OUT WITH SOME BURGERS AND FRIES OR PIZZAbut i'm pretty concerned about my training let's say for ex (I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THIS IF CORRECT OR NOT PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORRECT/CRITICIZE ME)BACK AND TRICEPSSTRAIGHT ARM PULLDWONS 10-12CHIN UPS AMAP 6-10XAMAPLAT PULLDWON 10ROW 10X3-4GOOD MORNINGS 10-15X3-4PLANKS 30 SECS X AMAPTRICEPS PUSHDOWNS10X103 SECS ON THE NEGATIVE 1 SEC ON THE POSITIVE30 SECS REST BETWEEN SETSWHAT DO U THINK OF THIS?I WANNA BE LEAN NOT THE POWERLIFTER TYPE (NO OFFENSE BUT I DONT SEE MYSELF BALD AND FAT OR BULKY)JUST WANNA BE WHAT I AM FAIRLY LEAN NOT BIG NOT SKINNY BUT LEAN JUST THAT...BULKING UP A BIT ON THE LATS AND DELTS THANK YOU

sckiely
    Participant

Unfortunately, anyone who sells out for a supplement the way Thib's has loses a fair bit of credibility. His early stuff was great, some of his programming ideas ARE really good, but this Indigo 3G thing is quite a big load of crap.This again falls into the dept of placing a group of people in a Biggest loser style environment, where they have everything optimised to achieve results. In the same vein as Biggest Loser this does not mean that these results could or should be replicated outside of these conditions.Anyone with access to 24hr professional coaching is guaranteed results with or without any mentioned supplement, so these testing conditions and results prove very little.

Richard Schmitt

Ok let's start off with this first, I had to make sure you purchased the book and registered. Now there is a place for members to post questions regarding stuff like this I'll move it over to correct area since you are a member. But be sure to look at the membe section on here, Carb-backloading, not further down than that. Cool?

AdamFiddler

Lattasaurus Rex,You seem like a really knowledgeable guy.  Here's my own program with CBL, feel free to critique it or make suggestions on how to optimize if you're interested:Workout A:20 Rep Squat MaxDeadlift 5 Rep Max Kettlebell Strict Press 3x8 Workout B:20 Rep Squat MaxDumbbell Bench 3x5 Linear as heavy as possiblePower Clean 3 x 10 LinearWorkout C:20 Rep Squat Max100 Kettlebell Swings For TimeWorkout D:Dumbbell Bench 3x5Power Clean 3x5Some type of metcon involving heavy kettlebell swings and an explosive movement like box jumps etc.I'm working on an A-D cycle with one day of rest in between (and I take three rest days from squatting after every three training sessions where I 20-rep backsquat.)  I've been on CBL about two weeks and have about a 2% loss in body fat while gaining 5 lbs. and seeing strength increases in less recovery time than before, but I'm relatively new to lifting so it's hard to isolate the variables.Sincerely,Adam

CaseyD

^^ Where did that program come from? If your answer is “me”, get a new program immediately. Actually, since you're trying to train and use CBL for nutrition, get a new program anyway. I can add more when not at work if you have further questions as to why...

Damon Amato
    Participant

I agree. Looks like your program could be improved.

AdamFiddler

Thanks guys, I agree it definitely could be improved and would be happy to hear what you guys have to say.  I wouldn't even call what I posted there a program–it's just kind of “what I do” at the moment while I'm reading a lot and playing around with all the variables and gauging my recovery times as effected by various lifestyle factors (such as diet, for example).  As for where it came from, it's just a combination of Starting Strength and a bit of kettlebell work.  After reading back over what I wrote, though, I think the following changes seem way more consistent/reasonable:Workout A: SquatDeadlift 5RMStrict Press (Barbell) 3x5(I just started the KB Press thing when my strict press stalled but perhaps I could've just done a reset on the strict press instead.)Workout B:Dumbbell Bench 3x5 (chose to use this over barbell bench for a few reasons)Power Clean 3x10100 KB Swings For Time/100 Box Jumps For time  (actually did this workout yesterday since my recovery from the last squat session wasn't good enough)Workout C:SquatStrict Press100 KB Swings For TimeWorkout D:Same as Workout B.  Now Workout A is just straight out of Rippetoe's Starting Strength, as is Workout B minus the squats (though I will add them when I'm back on the linear) but also with additional movements to train both active hips and train the vertical jump on days when I power clean.  Workout C is the same principle as workout A (a squat, a press, and a pull) but I'm definitely not going to deadlift twice in a row.  I think the overall foundation is pretty solid and pretty well-shown to be effective for gaining strength, but the implementation definitely needs some work.  I would be really interested if you have a suggestion for Workout C that fits the overall philosophy.  Cheers,Adam

CaseyD

That already looks better. You basically want lower reps (I always keep mine under 12) with heavy ass weight. For the exercises you didn't list sets/reps…what are the sets/reps?

LatasaurusFlex

Workout A: SquatDeadlift 5RMStrict Press (Barbell) 3x5Workout B:Dumbbell Bench 3x5 (chose to use this over barbell bench for a few reasons)Power Clean 3x10100 KB Swings For Time/100 Box Jumps For time  (actually did this workout yesterday since my recovery from the last squat session wasn't good enough)Workout C:SquatStrict Press100 KB Swings For TimeWorkout D:Same as Workout B. 

Hey, BudLooks like you are super-commited to training hard and making gains, as you skipped over any 'nancy' exercises and went straight for the biggest bang-for-your-buck movements.  I'm gonna just throw together a list of ideas:

• Your programming seems a bit light on back-strength work (besides the deadlift).  I would do pull ups in between sets of strict press, not to failure.  The volume will add up, and activating your lats will give you a tighter base to press from
    • Depending on how advanced you are, I would not get rid of 20 rep breathing squats.  They do great things for overall conditioning, strength, and body composition.  I would see how I feel squatting that day, then if I feel froggy knock off 20% of my max set that day and do 20 reps.  Then do a filthy backload to recover.  If this set is 300+, maybe take an extra day off or an extra 'clean' backload on your off day.
    • Front squatting before deadlifting teaches leg drive really well
    • Separating conditioning and strength training leads to more intensity for both, better nutrient distribution, and the ability to do cardio in a fasted state.  Putting cardio/conditioning work on mornings if you could is nice

I like the way you are doing lots of strict press, I do that too.  I find it does more for my overall physique and strength development than benched movements.  It also allows for free movement of the scapulae and shoulder joint, which is nice.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Training for Carb-Backloading

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?