Training on Carb-Nite

• This topic has 7 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

zewski

Hey guys I just had a quick questionI know the CNS is intended for strictly weight-loss so we shouldn't expect to break many if any PR's while on the diet. However how drastically should we cut back on training? In the past I've cut volume/frequency way back, but while CNS is an ultra low-carb diet, my cals tend to be at maintenance so I'm not really in a caloric defecit. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.htmlI'm guessing I should cut out any higher rep stuff (due to the lack of carbs), but how frequently can/should we workout if we keep the intensity high, but the volume low. Sort of like a strength-cycle.The reason I ask is because I assumed I'd have to cut my training way back, but I've seen a number of powerlifters use Carb Nite and continue training with generally the same volume.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Hey guys I just had a quick questionI know the CNS is intended for strictly weight-loss so we shouldn't expect to break many if any PR's while on the diet. However how drastically should we cut back on training? In the past I've cut volume/frequency way back, but while CNS is an ultra low-carb diet, my cals tend to be at maintenance so I'm not really in a caloric defecit. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.htmlI'm guessing I should cut out any higher rep stuff (due to the lack of carbs), but how frequently can/should we workout if we keep the intensity high, but the volume low. Sort of like a strength-cycle.The reason I ask is because I assumed I'd have to cut my training way back, but I've seen a number of powerlifters use Carb Nite and continue training with generally the same volume.

See this Keifer article:  muscle also keeps and uses triglycerides for fuel.  It's a different type of energy. No reason why you shouldn't stay strong.  http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/nutrition/the-hulk-factor/

Damon Amato
    Participant

It's also why Kiefer > Lyle McDonald.

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

It really isn't a problem. I've been setting new PRs all the time while on CNS. You don't need to cut back on anything, although it might take you a few days to get used to training on fat instead of carbs.

IOWA.PharmD

Same here, getting stronger (a lot) while doing CNS. If you tell yourself you're weak b/c you don't have any carbs, then you are weak If you want to get after it and get stronger, you will.

zewski

Nice! Thanks for the responses guys.It's nice to see in that article that Kiefer was using a 6-day split and saw results on CNS. Looks like I'll hit the gym tomorrow after all  ;D

sckiely
    Participant

I have been swapping between CBL and CNS since Xmas! Just experimenting with how to get results.During DB I packed on 4kg of muscle in 9 weeks roughly, added 2% bf but after a quick stint of CNS I was back to 14.5%I always train heavy even when not using barbells and I have only had a couple of sessions that I have felt weak on either program and this has always been a transition period!I am now doing CNS to get under 10% and all my lifts are still going up heaps!

bako71

I've gotten stronger and had pr's too. I always do my most strenous workout (Legs) on carb nite followed by 15- 20min of HIIT.  No problems with energy here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Training on Carb-Nite

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?