Training Tips for Tall Guys

• This topic has 8 voices and 24 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

That's some serious volume!  ::)+1 haha,  that what i was thinkingYes, it is a lot of volume.  8)My routines tend to have a lot of volume, but that is what works for me.  I tried low-volume before, and even ultra-low volume like HIIT, but never got the same results as I do with ass-kicking levels of volume.Most of the time, I do 3-4 exercises per bodypart... but Leg Day is decked-out b/c I have to cover Quads, Hams and Calves sufficiently.Most days I am in the gym for 45-60 minutes.  Leg Day can go 60+.Cory

CptSmash

I love high volume work!  I think it really depends on the muscle fiber distribution that people have…I remember reading in Polquin's articles or somewhere that you can do a test for the type of muscle fiber type you have and regulate your workouts according to that.  It was based of your 1RM.  purpose: to estimate the predominant muscle fiber type for any given muscle group.equipment required: Free weights (barbells, dumbbells) or other gym equipment, assistant/spotter. procedure: Determine your one repetition maximum (1RM) on a given exercise - a measure of the maximal weight a subject can lift with one repetition. Have a rest for 15 minutes. Then use 80% of your measured 1RM to perform as many repetitions as possible in a single attempt.scoring: the maximum number of times the weight is correctly lifted is recorded. Use the values in the table below to determine the muscle fiber type based on the number of repetitions at 80% of 1RM (Pipes, 1994).number of reps at 80%--->muscle fibre type 50% fast twitch (FT)7 to 12 equal proportion of fiber type> 12 > 50% slow twitch (ST)variations: There are two other protocols / assessments. These variations are replicated on many sites online, though no cited references can be found. One variation also uses 80% of your 1RM (Dr F. Hatfield Test), though the interpretation is different, and the other uses 85% 1RM (Charles Poliquin Test). As in the test above, the maximum number of reps at that level is recorded. The results for these variation are interpreted as follows.number of reps at 80%--->muscle fibre type< 7 mostly fast twitch (FT) dominant7 or 8 mixed fiber type> 8 slow twitch (ST) dominantnumber of reps at 85%---> muscle fibre type< 5 mostly fast twitch (FT) dominant5 mixed fiber type> 5 slow twitch (ST) dominantadvantages: the required equipment is readily available in most gymnasiums.disadvantages: performing a maximum weight lift is only for advanced weight trainers. It is important to be experienced in the gym and have good technique before attempting this test. The results for muscle fiber type is specific to the muscle group tested, and may not apply to the other muscles of the body. As muscle groups are involved in the lifting techniques, the muscle fiber composition of individual muscles is not able to be determined using this test.comments: The test results will be specific to the equipment used and the technique allowed, so is best used for test-retest measures. Muscle fiber types can be broken down into two main types: slow twitch (Type I) muscle fibers and fast twitch (Type II) muscle fibers. Fast twitch fibers can be further categorized into Type IIa and Type IIb fibers.reference: Pipes, T.V. (1994). Strength training and fiber types. Scholastic Coach, as referenced in Muscle Fiber Types and Training, by Jason R. Karp, Track Coach #155.Sorry, THREAD HIJACKED!Tall guy training...limb lengths require some modifications for great gains.  Deadlifts --> Sumo DeadliftsBench Press --> Narrow gripSquats --> Front Squats or Trap Bar SquatsShoulder Press--> Standing Presses or DB Shoulder PressDouble horizontal/vertical pulling motions vs pressing motionsHow's that?

I love high volume work!  I think it really depends on the muscle fiber distribution that people have...I remember reading in Polquin's articles or somewhere that you can do a test for the type of muscle fiber type you have and regulate your workouts according to that.  It was based of your 1RM.  purpose: to estimate the predominant muscle fiber type for any given muscle group.equipment required: Free weights (barbells, dumbbells) or other gym equipment, assistant/spotter. procedure: Determine your one repetition maximum (1RM) on a given exercise - a measure of the maximal weight a subject can lift with one repetition. Have a rest for 15 minutes. Then use 80% of your measured 1RM to perform as many repetitions as possible in a single attempt.scoring: the maximum number of times the weight is correctly lifted is recorded. Use the values in the table below to determine the muscle fiber type based on the number of repetitions at 80% of 1RM (Pipes, 1994).number of reps at 80%--->muscle fibre type 50% fast twitch (FT)7 to 12 equal proportion of fiber type> 12 > 50% slow twitch (ST)variations: There are two other protocols / assessments. These variations are replicated on many sites online, though no cited references can be found. One variation also uses 80% of your 1RM (Dr F. Hatfield Test), though the interpretation is different, and the other uses 85% 1RM (Charles Poliquin Test). As in the test above, the maximum number of reps at that level is recorded. The results for these variation are interpreted as follows.number of reps at 80%--->muscle fibre type< 7 mostly fast twitch (FT) dominant7 or 8 mixed fiber type> 8 slow twitch (ST) dominantnumber of reps at 85%---> muscle fibre type< 5 mostly fast twitch (FT) dominant5 mixed fiber type> 5 slow twitch (ST) dominantadvantages: the required equipment is readily available in most gymnasiums.disadvantages: performing a maximum weight lift is only for advanced weight trainers. It is important to be experienced in the gym and have good technique before attempting this test. The results for muscle fiber type is specific to the muscle group tested, and may not apply to the other muscles of the body. As muscle groups are involved in the lifting techniques, the muscle fiber composition of individual muscles is not able to be determined using this test.comments: The test results will be specific to the equipment used and the technique allowed, so is best used for test-retest measures. Muscle fiber types can be broken down into two main types: slow twitch (Type I) muscle fibers and fast twitch (Type II) muscle fibers. Fast twitch fibers can be further categorized into Type IIa and Type IIb fibers.reference: Pipes, T.V. (1994). Strength training and fiber types. Scholastic Coach, as referenced in Muscle Fiber Types and Training, by Jason R. Karp, Track Coach #155.Sorry, THREAD HIJACKED!Tall guy training...limb lengths require some modifications for great gains.  Deadlifts --> Sumo DeadliftsBench Press --> Narrow gripSquats --> Front Squats or Trap Bar SquatsShoulder Press--> Standing Presses or DB Shoulder PressDouble horizontal/vertical pulling motions vs pressing motionsHow's that?

I recommend Standing Barbell Military Presses, anyhow.  I love those, much more than the seated version.  There is just WAY more core activation, and the whole body gets involved on some level -- to me, that means more mass via more activation.Cory

CRich

I've grown to love the standing military press. Although with long arms you have to move it a mile, it does wonders for my overall shoulder size.

Gl;itch.e

Really tall guys could probably benefit from a higher ratio of Partial ROM work (on top of some normal ROM stuff) Board Presses/Pin PressesBox Squats of various heightsPin PullsMostly to overload the end range of motion which is usually not getting sufficient stimulus due to poor leverages. Being limited by what can be lifted through the weakest part of the lift in other words. Accomodating resistance could also be usefull (bands/chains) to make the easiest parts of the lift that much harder.

Really tall guys could probably benefit from a higher ratio of Partial ROM work (on top of some normal ROM stuff) Board Presses/Pin PressesBox Squats of various heightsPin PullsMostly to overload the end range of motion which is usually not getting sufficient stimulus due to poor leverages. Being limited by what can be lifted through the weakest part of the lift in other words. Accomodating resistance could also be usefull (bands/chains) to make the easiest parts of the lift that much harder.

This is what I was saying, with regards to my "X-Reps" comment earlier.  This is how Jay Cutler lifts, for the most part.Cory

AciD

Do you add anything to BBB? Like Bicep curls or whatever?

CRich

Do you add anything to BBB? Like Bicep curls or whatever?

Not the first time around. I just finished my deload week. So I will switch templates and most likely add extra arm work.

AciD

Switch templates meaning what?

CRich

I ran BBB the first cycle of 5/3/1 and then tried a different assisstant template for 2 cycles. And finally I finished up the most recent cycle using the periodization Bible  assistance work outlined in the book.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Training Tips for Tall Guys

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?