Training Tips for Tall Guys

• This topic has 8 voices and 24 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

CRich
    Keymaster

Granted I'm not the tallest at 6'2. But I was just wondering if there were any words of wisdom anyone had on this subject. I weigh 215 as of right now and am just now losing the “skinny” label.

Richard Schmitt

Granted I'm not the tallest at 6'2. But I was just wondering if there were any words of wisdom anyone had on this subject. I weigh 215 as of right now and am just now losing the "skinny" label.

I take it you're trying to add mass then? Maybe CBL Density Bulking would be the way to go with either Shockwave or Heavy Duty tagged with it. I'm not as tall but I'm 6ft at 175-180.

CRich

Yes that's correct. I am doing density bulking but I am using Wendler's 5/3/1. I would do Heavy Duty but I train by myself most of the time. Makes the negatives a bit dangerous.

Richard Schmitt

Yes that's correct. I am doing density bulking but I am using Wendler's 5/3/1. I would do Heavy Duty but I train by myself most of the time. Makes the negatives a bit dangerous.

Alright well since you're doing 5/3/1 Boring But Big could prove to work for you. I understand about the Negatives and needing a partner, but I was referred to using a Squat Rack for it, because if you go to failure you can just drop it at chest level and go from there.

CRich

Unfortunately I train at home and don't have a squat rack. I put the pins on the back of the bench I have and work from there, it is a bit hard to explain. I agree with the Boring But Big suggestion though. I have been trying out the periodization bible assistance work lately. I might go back to BBB

Richard Schmitt

Unfortunately I train at home and don't have a squat rack. I put the pins on the back of the bench I have and work from there, it is a bit hard to explain. I agree with the Boring But Big suggestion though. I have been trying out the periodization bible assistance work lately. I might go back to BBB

Alright well do what you can with what you have. Good luck too.

Joseph Conti
    Participant

I'm just about 6'2 as well. I was about 216 at least with CBL before starting CNS Prep Phase, and now I am at 201.0 with still about five days left on the prep. One piece of advice I would give is don't worry about your height. Perform the major compound lifts with correct form and deph worrying about your structure.Squat to below parallel, if not ATG. Being tall is not an excuse for poor form IMO.Hope this helps  🙂

amedio

I am 6'6″ and I can tell you personally that it seems that I have to bench press that bar a mile from my chest; feels like I am trying to touch the ground with my arse when doing squats! It is what it is though. Good form pays in the end and that is why I never avoid warm-up sets with lighter loads.

Granted I'm not the tallest at 6'2. But I was just wondering if there were any words of wisdom anyone had on this subject. I weigh 215 as of right now and am just now losing the "skinny" label.

Time.  That is all.Eat well, train hard and get plenty of recovery / rest.  Muscle growth is the same for everyone, it is just that you have more space to cover.I am 6'0", and my bench sucks compared to my deads.  My squats fall somewhere between the two.  That is just how my body frame works.  That is why I hate questions like "how much do you bench?", b/c it isn't the same move for everyone.Ever wonder why shorter guys out-number the taller guys in professional bodybuilding?  Less muscle looks like more muscle on a shorter guy.  For instance, 16" guns on a 5'5" dude look much bigger than on a 6'0" dude.A lot of pro BB'ers are mid-5 foot range to about 5'8" - 5'10".  You find far fewer taller than that.Arnold was a taller dude.That all said, you might try the technique popularized by writers for Iron Man Magazine... called "X-Reps".  Jay Cutler uses X-Reps (though, I am sure he doesn't know the term X-Rep).  X-Reps are essentially truncated range of motion lifts, where the concentric portion of the move is done explosively, and the eccentric is slowed to 2-4 seconds.  For instance, with benching, you wouldn't bring the bar all the way back to your chest, and you wouldn't go to full-lockout either... you'd keep the move "pistoning" in between the chest and lockout -- which increases constant tension.  Just ENSURE you are contracting the muscle!Cory

CRich

Thanks for all the responses, they definitely help. I am only 20 right now so I still have time left but I can attest to what all of you are saying about the long levers. Deadlifting is easy, squat I feel like I lean forward too far due to my long torso, and as for bench it is a slow agonizing process.

I am 6'6" and I can tell you personally that it seems that I have to bench press that bar a mile from my chest; feels like I am trying to touch the ground with my arse when doing squats! It is what it is though. Good form pays in the end and that is why I never avoid warm-up sets with lighter loads.

I can only imagine what it is like for you to bench press. Do you just try to grip as wide as possible to shorten the stroke?

Less muscle looks like more muscle on a shorter guy.  For instance, 16" guns on a 5'5" dude look much bigger than on a 6'0" dude.

I know that feeling also. Mine are around 16" right now and they look small compared to the rest of my body. My forearms even more so.

amedio

I just place my hands shoulder width apart. I try not to cheat myself.

Big_R
    Participant

squat I feel like I lean forward too far due to my long torso, Try switching to a more powerlifter style squat...resting the bar more on the rear delts than towards the neck.... this was an easy way to put on more weight once you get the hang of it. 

squat I feel like I lean forward too far due to my long torso, Try switching to a more powerlifter style squat...resting the bar more on the rear delts than towards the neck.... this was an easy way to put on more weight once you get the hang of it.

You could also try more of a "Sumo Squat" or "Plie Squat", with wider foot distance, and possibly turned-out 45-degrees.  As with benching, the wider you go, the less space you need to cover, and less likely to need to lean as much.To balance things out, ensure you do a more normal foot positioning for Leg Press, and toss some Hacks in there, too.  Just to ensure you've fully stressed the thighs from all angles.For Hacks, Tom Platz believed in heels together, toes pointed outward.A solid leg routine might look like:Squats (wide-stance)  4 x 10, 10, 8, 845-degree Leg Press (shoulder-width placement)  4 x 10, 10, 8, 8Hack Squats (Platz placement)  3 x 10Leg Extensions  3 x 10-12Leg Curls (Seated, Lying or Standing)  3 x 8Romanian Deadlifts  3 x 8Standing Calves  3 x 10-12Seated Calves  3 x 10-12Cory

Joseph Conti
    Participant

You could also try more of a "Sumo Squat" or "Plie Squat", with wider foot distance, and possibly turned-out 45-degrees.  As with benching, the wider you go, the less space you need to cover, and less likely to need to lean as much.To balance things out, ensure you do a more normal foot positioning for Leg Press, and toss some Hacks in there, too.  Just to ensure you've fully stressed the thighs from all angles.For Hacks, Tom Platz believed in heels together, toes pointed outward.A solid leg routine might look like:Squats (wide-stance)  4 x 10, 10, 8, 845-degree Leg Press (shoulder-width placement)  4 x 10, 10, 8, 8Hack Squats (Platz placement)  3 x 10Leg Extensions  3 x 10-12Leg Curls (Seated, Lying or Standing)  3 x 8Romanian Deadlifts  3 x 8Standing Calves  3 x 10-12Seated Calves  3 x 10-12Cory

That's some serious volume!  ::)

Big_R
    Participant

That's some serious volume!  ::)+1 haha,  that what i was thinking

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Training Tips for Tall Guys

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?