training to failure

• This topic has 9 voices and 16 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

sawinwright

What's your opinions on this?

sckiely
    Participant

This one is dependant on my client. A lot of what is achieved in the gym is mental. Some people like to push out that 1 last rep when i train them. If that happens though and they do train to FORM failure, it is over for that movement for the session as once failure happens in a movement too much rest is needed before another set can be started .As a PT time management is key i am not paid to chat to them during 5 mins long rest periods, thats for coachs of strength athletes etc. I am paid to get the most out of my clients in whatever time they pay for. So in this sense, not training to failure gets them more results.If time is not important however training to failure can be beneficial mentally for a lot of people. However i very rarely do it myself. I don't feel it makes any difference to growth, i have read a lot of info that supprts this. The other thing about training to failure is the increased need to recover longer. I like training frequently, so it doesn't work for me.So basically what i am saying is if you like it do it! Try it once in a while and see how you respond. Just remember to give yourself a little extra recovery.

amedio

I usually do the maximum amount of reps on my last set. By doing so I leave the gym with the sense that I pushed myself as far as I could go. I do it mostly for mental comfort though.

completely agree… form failure is what is important.

Newfiedan
    Participant

That is what I follow, if I can not maintain form then I know I can not go any further. I push like there is a gun to my head but only so long as my form is maintained, I do not need to injure myself with bad form. I like looking at the form in the mirror to ensure proper form.

Training to failure is very important. As said, it is important to know you have given everything you had. But perhaps even more important is the response it elicits from your body. When you train to failure, this is known as the repeated effort method. Lactic acid builds up and you must recruit more muscle fibers as the other ones you use for the first several reps tire and can no longer fire. These two things are necessary for you to continually increase your intensity (weight lifted) and/or volume (number of reps). Lactic acid causes the release of growth hormone, which as the name suggests, will make your muscles grow and recover.Recruiting more fibers will make you stronger and able to lift more weight, which will make you bigger. Think of it like this: there are two guys that are the same size in the gym. One guy can lift more. This is because he is able to use more of the muscle he has. Untrained people utilize less then half their muscle fibers. But with training until failure, the body can be trained to use many more of the muscle fibers available.

Kiefer
    Participant

From a research perspective, failure is very important, but only “hitting” failure and not pushing past failure. Once you fail (all concentric motion stops regardless of how hard you push), you've done all you can possibly do to trigger strength and hypertrophy gains. This also only needs to happen once per training session per body part. For example, I might do 6 sets of bench, but I'll only take set number 6 to absolute failure. No other chest movement after that will I take to failure (if I do anything else on chest that day).

Kevin rogers
    Participant

From a research perspective, failure is very important, but only "hitting" failure and not pushing past failure. Once you fail (all concentric motion stops regardless of how hard you push), you've done all you can possibly do to trigger strength and hypertrophy gains. This also only needs to happen once per training session per body part. For example, I might do 6 sets of bench, but I'll only take set number 6 to absolute failure. No other chest movement after that will I take to failure (if I do anything else on chest that day).

Interesting, never heard of this before.Thanks

Newfiedan
    Participant

likewise interesting point there, I will have to incorporate that into my next workout.

Kevin rogers
    Participant

From a research perspective, failure is very important, but only "hitting" failure and not pushing past failure. Once you fail (all concentric motion stops regardless of how hard you push), you've done all you can possibly do to trigger strength and hypertrophy gains. This also only needs to happen once per training session per body part. For example, I might do 6 sets of bench, but I'll only take set number 6 to absolute failure. No other chest movement after that will I take to failure (if I do anything else on chest that day).

I'm a little confused  because in your new CBL heavy duty hybrid split you say to perform negatives more than once for a specific body part?  Wouldn't that be considered pushing past failure on the same body part?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

If I don't train to failure, I don't grow.  Some smaller exercises like curls, I find it beneficial to sometimes throw in partial and cheat reps after I reach failure in perfect form.

Kevin rogers
    Participant

I do agree but it sounds like he says only do it once per body part in the comment above.  And in the new CBL hybrid split, that he just put out, he suggests to do negatives more than once per body part. Making it sound like if you do go to failure, more than once,  you are wasting your time or over training.

Newfiedan
    Participant

I did not see the cbl hybrid split post got a link?

Kevin rogers
    Participant

It's from an article Kiefer wrote that's on the main page of the DH website. Heavy Duty CBL. You can download the workout from the PDF file.

RagE

I train to failiure very often.  On heavy movements, usually the first and second exercise I do, I crank out as many reps as i possibly can, on every single set. Every set is to the death, and with the aim of being better than last week.On the squat and dead, i usually stop short of failiure. I like to train them heavy(singles, doubles, triples), and do alot of sets rather than alot of reps, and make sure that my form and technique is on spot.On lighter movements, especially when i do drop sets, i go way past failiure, using alot of body english.I do not know how productive this is for hypertrophy or strength gains, but I love to do it this way.I train hard and brutal, and I am going to do it until my body and joints wont let me anymore.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

training to failure

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?