Trek energy bars

• This topic has 5 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Cropsy

Hi,I'm trying to stay away from fructose as much as possible and just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the 'Trek' wholefood energy bars, specifically the mixed berry flavor (available online and in health stores such as H&B in London) as a CBL carb choice? Here is the site with nutritional info and ingredients: http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/store/trek-energy-bars/products/products/trek-mixed-berry-68g-x-12/nutrition.aspxIf you don't want to follow the link, the main ingredients are: raw dates, soya crispies, raw raisins, oats, apple juice, maize starch, raspberries, strawberries, ginkgo biloba extract, and ginseng extract.  They're 204 calls per 68g bar, 38g of carbs (30 of which sugars) 1.6g fat (0 saturated), and 5g fibre.Oh, and they're damn delicious.  😛

Newfiedan
    Participant

Just keep in mind that for backloading you want very simple carbs to make it work best, I do sneak one of my fav bars (cliff bar, chocolate almond) at the start of my backload which gives me about 4 hrs to continue eating the simple carbs. Fructose can increase the risk of fat gain so to be cautious I would recommend staying away from fruits or anything containing them but give it a shot and see what happens is my advice. Its about tweaking the program via your biofeedback to get the best results. If you look softer in the mirror the next day then maybe skip it for one or two backloads to see if there is any difference.

Cropsy

Thanks, yeah, the fruit content had me wondering… Does anyone recommend any commercially available 'goodies' that fit in well?

IOWA.PharmD

Poptarts!

Newfiedan
    Participant

chapmans black jack cherry frozen yogurt, skip the cherries. Fruit loops, pop tarts, cherry turnovers, donuts, mr. big bars, pretty much anything high in sugar. You want simple carbs, quick digesting, processed flour like pastry flour. So long as there is minimal if any fructose in it.

Naomi Most

Hi,I'm trying to stay away from fructose as much as possible and just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the 'Trek' wholefood energy bars, specifically the mixed berry flavor (available online and in health stores such as H&B in London) as a CBL carb choice? Here is the site with nutritional info and ingredients: http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/store/trek-energy-bars/products/products/trek-mixed-berry-68g-x-12/nutrition.aspxIf you don't want to follow the link, the main ingredients are: raw dates, soya crispies, raw raisins, oats, apple juice, maize starch, raspberries, strawberries, ginkgo biloba extract, and ginseng extract.  They're 204 calls per 68g bar, 38g of carbs (30 of which sugars) 1.6g fat (0 saturated), and 5g fibre.Oh, and they're damn delicious.  😛

These things are a great example of a "medium glycemic" food.  Too much fiber, WAYY too much fructose.  Come on... you knew that already. 🙂You don't even have to experiment with this one, I can tell you flat out, not a good idea.

Cropsy

Well, I've been told now!  :'(Ah well, gone are the Trek bars, replaced with what I like to call 'Backloaded Brownies'! (made lovingly by yours truly with nothing but 100% organic cocoa, Dextrose, cornflour, and butter) and they're damn good. 😛

Naomi Most

Well, I've been told now!  :'(Ah well, gone are the Trek bars, replaced with what I like to call 'Backloaded Brownies'! (made lovingly by yours truly with nothing but 100% organic cocoa, Dextrose, cornflour, and butter) and they're damn good. 😛

Now THAT's what we're talking about!!!Got a recipe?!  I mean, *I* want that recipe. I was planning on experimenting with dextrose brownies on my next Carb Nite, but I'd much rather have a proven recipe at my fingertips...

soulmind

I second that.  Brownies are the fifth food group on my opinion (I can eat a whole damn tray, heartburn be damned).

Cropsy

Well, I started out with a specific cocoa brownie recipe in mind (ever heard of Smitten Kitchen? It's a great food blog), which you can see here: http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/01/best-cocoa-brownies/ My plan was to adhere to the recipe above and simply sub Dextrose for sugar (after a lot of 'Googling' I discovered that in order to correctly sub Dextrose for sugar you divide the amount of sugar in the recipe by 0.7; so, if you need 1 cup of sugar, you'll need, ahem, 1.42857143 cups of Dextrose. Simple, right?  😀Anyway, the plan changed a  little. I decided to use cornflour instead of regular flour because it's more starchy, good for backloading. Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe you guys call it corn starch over in that part of the world? My only concern with the recipe was that there might be too much butter, and therefore, too much fat (for backloading purposes). What you guys think?To cut a long story short, I stuck to the Smitten Kitchen recipe (except I omitted the chocolate chips and obviously subbed Dextrose for sugar and cornflour for regular flour and added a half tbsp of brewed coffee because it makes chocolate taste like heaven) but I also added a little natural buttermilk (it's naturally very low fat) to the mix (about 3 tbsp) because (A) I like the subtle sour taste it gives baked goods and (B) maybe I screwed up with the mix but I found the butter, Dextrose, cocoa mix a little clumpy and the buttermilk fixed that. To finish, when i was doing the final mix I had to add a little more cornflour to thicken it slightly before it went in the oven (a 1/2 cornflour, 1/2 regular flour mix might be better)...Let me know how you get on if you make them. Any improvements or suggestions welcome!

Newfiedan
    Participant

I would have kept the chocolate chips, as for the flour you want it to be processed and refined flour, basically the best for carb backloading is simple quick digesting carbs, so the simpler the better. Brownies, donuts, pastries, chocolate bars (sans nuts) things of that nature.

Naomi Most

I would have kept the chocolate chips, as for the flour you want it to be processed and refined flour, basically the best for carb backloading is simple quick digesting carbs, so the simpler the better. Brownies, donuts, pastries, chocolate bars (sans nuts) things of that nature.

Indeed -- which is why corn flour makes a really brilliant choice!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Trek energy bars

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?