Truvia Sweetener

• This topic has 4 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ElectricD
    Keymaster

I would like to sweeten my coffee in the morning but don't want to use Splenda. I know Kiefer says that Slenda is okay in small amounts, so I was wondering if anyone knew about Truvia. It is a sweetener that comes from a leaf and has 0 calories and 3 grams carbs (Erythritol) in 3/4 tsp. It also states that it is suitable for diabetics. Would this make my insulin levels spike if I were to add this to my coffee? Thanks for the input.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Truvia is not your best option, especially if you are going to be using it frequently.From the truvia Web Page: "Truvia® natural sweetener is made from rebiana, the best tasting part of the stevia leaf, erythritol and natural flavors. See our ingredients page for more detailed information."Erythritol is a bulk carbohydrate sweetener, you know, the ones Keifer says to stay away from...Many Stevia sweetener products have sugars or sugar alcohols added to them.  I prefer to stay away from them.Stevia(rebiana) is the actual sweet extract from the stevia rebaudiana leaf.  It is a great sweetener all by itself.I use a pure stevia extract powder from Now Foods called "Better Stevia".  It's not cheap, but 1/8 of a teaspoon is extremely potent, so it lasts forever, and I know that no hidden carbs or sugar alcohols are sneaking into my diet from the sweetener.

ElectricD

Thanks Jeremy! Splenda it is then.

Allenxld

Hey D – I am type-2 diabetic (for now) and don't like splenda. I use SweetLeaf stevia sweetener. It has inulin fiber (bonus) as well as stevia leaf.  http://www.sweetleaf.com

Damon Amato
    Participant

why do you call inulin a bonus?  It's been shown not to have the same effect on blood sugar as real fiber.

Allenxld

I called it a bonus because one gets the fiber with the sweetener. I know they have added fiber to splenda now. Didn't know they were ANY effects on the blood sugar with inulin, I personally have not had any negative responses. I do, however, have side effects from using any ARTIFICIAL sweetener I have used. I'm just saying. I knwo it all depends on the individual, no matter what.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Truvia Sweetener

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?