Usable Carb Confusion

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Andrew Hilson
    Participant

Hi and thanks to anyone who may be able to help me.

I started the prep phase last week and only consumed a maximum of 30g of carbs per day up until Saturday; please note I was working based on the Men’s Fitness article and hadn’t yet delved into the actual ~300-page guide.

Now I’ve restarted and somewhat understand the difference between usable carbs and fibre. The question I have is this: if I’m supposed to eliminate usable carbs for 10 days, why, in the sample meal plans and throughout are things like cottage cheese referenced when cottage cheese has crabs (even low fat has lactose). So does Heavy Whipping Cream. Tomatoes have sugars, coconut milk has usable carbs too…I’m just trying to understand what I’m missing.

Thanks.

Tony Sangimino

Keep usable carbs under 10g or so during individual meals. Don’t exceed 30g of usable carbs per day.

You’ll never fully remove them all, and that’s fine. You’re not missing much.

Andrew Hilson
    Participant

Keep usable carbs under 10g or so during individual meals. Don’t exceed 30g of usable carbs per day.

You’ll never fully remove them all, and that’s fine. You’re not missing much.

Thanks. I was a bit confused by this and what you’re saying makes sense. I’ll keep it under 10 for sure. I’m already fairly lean (below 15% body fat) and trying to drop below 10%. I play soccer twice a week and ultimate once plus workout. Pretty active schedule…but I’m confident I can maintain it with the proper range of motion maintenance.

Looking forward to kick starting this again. Thanks for the messages; any guidance on my schedule is appreciated.

Andrew Hilson
    Participant

Just so I’m clear: I should keep usable carbs under 30g…not total carbs? Help me here. I may have missed it in the book because Kiefer says to eliminate ALL usable carbs for 10 days…this is why I’m confused. I did this for 7 days with resistance training and saw no difference at all. Not a change in weight; I was under 20g of carbs TOTAL each day.

I’m kickstarting tomorrow. Hoping I have better results.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Total carbs – fiber = usable carbs (put simply).

Going under 30 g of carbs isn’t going to magically make you lose weight if you’re eating more food to compensate for it.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Usable Carb Confusion

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?