vancouver area strength coach?

• This topic has 3 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Eloise Eaton
    Participant

I'm switching over from Crossfit to powerlifting but need some help. I like the group class scenario and don't think I'm able to work unaided anymore. I thought some 1 on 1 maybe the way to go.I've been googling to try and find someone but word of mouth is always the best way. Trial and error in coaches is just too expensive.Downtown Vancouver is my goal as I actually live 2.5 hrs away but would travel once a week to get a good program.

Justin Guimond
    Participant

You in Vancouver, BC or WA?And do you mean powerlifting or olympic lifting?

TCB
    Participant

Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to make the switch? (Not advocating one way or the other, just curious)

Eloise Eaton
    Participant

Vancouver BC. I think powerlifting would get me further. I love both though.

Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to make the switch? (Not advocating one way or the other, just curious)

I'm switching for 2 reason,1- I'm just not getting the satisfaction & results anymore.2- I'm fed up of always having pain. Shoulder has been bad for 2 yrs  and now my elbow is in constant pain.  My physio thinks this will help.What am I talking about........I loooooove lifting weights!

TCB
    Participant

Vancouver BC. I think powerlifting would get me further. I love both though.

I'm switching for 2 reason,1- I'm just not getting the satisfaction & results anymore.2- I'm fed up of always having pain. Shoulder has been bad for 2 yrs  and now my elbow is in constant pain. My physio thinks this will help.What am I talking about........I loooooove lifting weights!

Sounds like CrossFit! Or, at least, poorly coached CrossFit. Unfortunately the majority of CrossFit is poorly coached. Whomp whomp...Well, I have no help for a trainer, sorry! I live only about 8-9 hours from you though! lol

Eloise Eaton
    Participant

You in Vancouver, BC or WA?And do you mean powerlifting or olympic lifting?

looks like you're in Vancouver. Any suggestions?I see there is an OLY coach in West Van at the Crossfit there. Mike Cartright. Do you know of him?

Justin Guimond
    Participant

If you still want to OLY lift, and get your form right, which anyone who weight-lifts should, join the Kilophile facebook group for news on Christine Girard's seminars.  I learned a bit from her and her associates, and also from Dieter at Semi Weightlifting Club out of Semiamoo High School in South Surrey/White Rock… he's great at learning people properly.  The guy who runs Terminal City Training also supposedly knows how to lift properly, but I've never trained with him.As for powerlifting, I haven't found anyone who knows their shit yet, really.  I know a few guys who train up at the Birdcoop who are proper powerlifters, and they'd probably help you out if you just needed a few pointers.  If you're really stuck, I could ask them about their powerlifting and if they've had any formal coaching.There's a powerlifting and weightlifting club at UBC now, they're gaining some momentum, have had a seminar with Deiter already, and just bought some new equipment.  I think the public can join them.Right now I'm training at Origins Parkour, where there's some good strength-training tools and a fairly empty gym.  The Birdcoop is another good gym, but is busy.Outside of Vancouver, in the valley, you could check-out the Port Kells Barbell Club and BLM Barbell Club in Aldergrove look like very serious powerlifting gyms... if you're willing to travel.If you want to train together sometime, shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number.

Eloise Eaton
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I've done a couple of Christine's seminars when she was still with BCWA for women. She's amazing so will definitely join that FBI group. I'm visiting the UK right now and the crossfit here is having a lifting seminar this Sat which I'm really looking forward to. Surrey,white rock & Aldergrove are just too far for me. It's already a 2.5 hr trip just to downtown but I'll look into Terminal City. Is that called Rain City Athletics? UBC might also work. I google your place.....wow, do you do that?!!!?

Justin Guimond
    Participant

I don't really do parkour, if that's what you mean… I just hide in the gym while everyone jumps and flips around the place.If you've done Christine's seminars, I'm guessing you have a good understanding of the basic form for (olympic-style) weightlifting.  But again, for powerlifting, I'm guessing the Port Kells or BLM club would be a good bet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

vancouver area strength coach?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?