Vegetables and carbs?!

• This topic has 6 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

T9P1
    Keymaster

hey folks,it's me again 😀 hope I'm not a total pain in the ass 😉so I just planned what I will be going to eat tommorow (love doing that :D) and it looks and sounds totally amazing: beef steak with vegetable (fried in oil), salmon with almond crust and almond-spinach, chicken in sate sauce and some eggs and bacon for breakfast 🙂 🙂 yummyBUT it's 34g of carbs and at the moment I should stay below 30g. I have quite a few veggies in there and wanted to know (or actually make sure) that I can now just go and cut also the "fiber"-type carbs out of the equation (because then I probably reach an amount below 30g).Did I get that right?

tlfoxy

That sounds right!!Subtract the fiber grams from your carbs and that is your number.  Called usable carbs.

T9P1

That sounds right!!Subtract the fiber grams from your carbs and that is your number.  Called usable carbs.

Awesome. I just go by the ratios presented in the books. turns out that half of the veggie's carbs are not usable 😛

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Awesome. I just go by the ratios presented in the books. turns out that half of the veggie's carbs are not usable 😛

Just things to look out for:Are these processed ready to eat foods or are you cooking them? If they are pre-made, are you looking at the fine print well?What's in the sate sauce? Remember the 10g carb limit / meal

T9P1

Just things to look out for:Are these processed ready to eat foods or are you cooking them? If they are pre-made, are you looking at the fine print well?What's in the sate sauce? Remember the 10g carb limit / meal

Alright didnt really know about the 10g carb/meal thing. But all the meals are cooked by myself 🙂 using all-natural peanut butter for the sate sauce and this is the only meal having 13g carbs, but I eat 100g zuccini and 50g onions in it, so its just cutting down to the 10g. maybe I eat that one after my workout tommorrow, and even if is has slightly too much carbs it wont matter so much then 🙂

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Alright didnt really know about the 10g carb/meal thing. But all the meals are cooked by myself 🙂 using all-natural peanut butter for the sate sauce and this is the only meal having 13g carbs, but I eat 100g zuccini and 50g onions in it, so its just cutting down to the 10g. maybe I eat that one after my workout tommorrow, and even if is has slightly too much carbs it wont matter so much then 🙂

The onions are sabotaging your efforts.  Watch those, not really recommended on ULC days.

Kaprice

What?? No onions on low carb periods? Why is that? I don't recall reading that in RD.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

What?? No onions on low carb periods? Why is that? I don't recall reading that in RD.

make sure you really know how much onions you are using as that can get away from you, consider, onions:RAW: 3 carbs in each 1 oz or 28g of raw onion7 carbs in one small raw onion10-11 carbs in one medium raw onion (½ diameter)14 carbs in one large raw onion15 carbs in 1 cup of chopped raw onion (5.6 oz or 160g)COOKED: 3 carbs in each 1 oz or 28g of boiled onion6 carbs in one small boiled onion10 carbs in one medium boiled onion (2½ diameter)12-13 carbs in one large boiled onion21 carbs in 1 cup of boiled onion (7.4 oz or 210g)so if you weighed them to be 50 g, you took in about 5 g of carbs, 1/5 of maximum daily carb allotment and 1/2 of allotment for that meal, just from the onions

Cropsy

When I started CNS I was momentarily disappointed by the amount of carbs in onions but then I realized that spring onions (or scallions) are much lower in carbs and add a similar zing to meals. The ones I get are only about 3 grams carbs per 100g onions.

Kaprice

Yikes! I never noticed the huge carbs in onions. I should have checked. Thanks for the heads up.I'll look into scallions. Thx!

T9P1

Oh :/ Didnt know that, thought the “Green Onion” in the book pretty much counts for all onions. Well, then I'm going to cut out the onions!! Thanks for the info!!

dmmethod

Check out Fitday.comI use that app on my iPhone. I also was shocked to find out onions had so many carbs. I've just learned to sub spices for the actual veggie.Penzeys.com has a huge selection of high quality spices & they're way cheaper than the regular grocery store. I have no affiliation w/ them, I'm just into quality products.

T9P1

Check out Fitday.comI use that app on my iPhone. I also was shocked to find out onions had so many carbs. I've just learned to sub spices for the actual veggie.Penzeys.com has a huge selection of high quality spices & they're way cheaper than the regular grocery store. I have no affiliation w/ them, I'm just into quality products.

But I think Kiefer said that eating veggies is also really good and veggie-eating-clients did better than the no-veggie guys. But I gonna try to add more spices, just have to find a good store over here in germany.

dmmethod

But I think Kiefer said that eating veggies is also really good and veggie-eating-clients did better than the no-veggie guys. But I gonna try to add more spices, just have to find a good store over here in germany.

I still eat veggies. I was only referring to subbing real onion/garlic for the spice version.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Have the onions, on carbnite or backloading nights. You're not being deprived. Just scheduled and organized for peak performance. Also make sure you don't go overboard on this. Not only does it contain toxins it's also goiterogenic, so make sure your iodine levels are good. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Vegetables and carbs?!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?