Vegetarianism and Cancer risk

• This topic has 4 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

zewski

So my sister went out to eat with her friends and one of them was a vegetarian claiming some bullshit about how animal proteins cause cancer. Probably from that awful “red-meat study”. I'm not concerned with disproving that, human history does that for me. I'm more interested in some evidence to back up Kiefer's claims that vegetarians have a higher risk of cancer. Anyone?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

So my sister went out to eat with her friends and one of them was a vegetarian claiming some bullshit about how animal proteins cause cancer. Probably from that awful "red-meat study". I'm not concerned with disproving that, human history does that for me. I'm more interested in some evidence to back up Kiefer's claims that vegetarians have a higher risk of cancer. Anyone?

Ask your sister how often her friend gets sick.  The few vegetarians I know are sick all the time and people that don't eat a lot of meat (my mother) are almost sick as often.  Of course this is just observation, but compare that to myself who has probably eaten at least a pound of meat per day for my entire life and I haven't been sick since I was 9 years old (I am almost 23).  Also vegetarians are pretty much all lacking in B vitamins.

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

Off the top of my head, It might have to do with insulin signaling and EGF/IGF release, as vegetarians are usually eating a much higher carb diet.In addition they have higher risk of stroke. In my practice I rarely see vegetarians with high HDL chol as well, almost always in the 30's to 40's mg/dL

zewski

Ask your sister how often her friend gets sick.  The few vegetarians I know are sick all the time and people that don't eat a lot of meat (my mother) are almost sick as often.  Of course this is just observation, but compare that to myself who has probably eaten at least a pound of meat per day for my entire life and I haven't been sick since I was 9 years old (I am almost 23).  Also vegetarians are pretty much all lacking in B vitamins.

Good point, but I doubt that the veggie will admit to it. Plus the only reason he's a vegetarian is because his family has a history of cancer. As a side note, I thought you were much older ibob. Only because your answers tend to be so informative. I had no idea we were so close in age.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Good point, but I doubt that the veggie will admit to it. Plus the only reason he's a vegetarian is because his family has a history of cancer. As a side note, I thought you were much older ibob. Only because your answers tend to be so informative. I had no idea we were so close in age.

That's funny I thought you were much older as well.

Though I'd pipe in as a Veg.@ ibobland:Must be other reasons, I have been Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian for seven years -- I don't get sick very often, at all.In fact, I might get one bug a year... and I recover VERY quick.I also heal from injuries (and surgeries) so quickly that all doctors have been surprised.  This kind of healing began occuring once I switched to a Veg. lifestyle.I take an organic whole food multi, and I get plenty of B vitamins.  That said, I take my nutrition VERY seriously.I feel it is all in how you approach it, and how much you educate yourself.  Most people are lazy.@ Rakesh:Funny, I have no problems running CNS @ 7.5g (or less) carbs per day.  Very easy to control, if you know what you're doing nutritionally.Personally, I think it is the Vegans that have the most issues (on so many levels).  I would be interested in hearing Keifer's reason(s) against Veg.  Also, what type of Veg.?Lacto-Ovo?  Just Lacto?  Just Ovo?  Strict / Vegan?  Raw Vegan?As I mentioned, I am Lacto-Ovo... so I do eat dairy and eggs.  The only thing I do not consume is animal flesh (or parts / derivatives, like gelatin).Cory

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Though I'd pipe in as a Veg.@ ibobland:Must be other reasons, I have been Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian for seven years -- I don't get sick very often, at all.In fact, I might get one bug a year... and I recover VERY quick.I also heal from injuries (and surgeries) so quickly that all doctors have been surprised.  This kind of healing began occuring once I switched to a Veg. lifestyle.I take an organic whole food multi, and I get plenty of B vitamins.  That said, I take my nutrition VERY seriously.I feel it is all in how you approach it, and how much you educate yourself.  Most people are lazy.@ Rakesh:Funny, I have no problems running CNS @ 7.5g (or less) carbs per day.  Very easy to control, if you know what you're doing nutritionally.Personally, I think it is the Vegans that have the most issues (on so many levels).  I would be interested in hearing Keifer's reason(s) against Veg.  Also, what type of Veg.?Lacto-Ovo?  Just Lacto?  Just Ovo?  Strict / Vegan?  Raw Vegan?As I mentioned, I am Lacto-Ovo... so I do eat dairy and eggs.  The only thing I do not consume is animal flesh (or parts / derivatives, like gelatin).Cory

I don't know what your reasoning is for being a vegetarian, but if it works for you than that is great.  It certainly isn't bad, much healthier than how the average Westerner eats, but from my knowledge of nutrition, it is not the type of diet I would recomend.

I don't know what your reasoning is for being a vegetarian, but if it works for you than that is great.  It certainly isn't bad, much healthier than how the average Westerner eats, but from my knowledge of nutrition, it is not the type of diet I would recomend.

It sure as h3ll isn't to be an a$$h0l3.  HAHA.  Too many vegetarians and vegans like to insult non-veg.  I just don't care, people eat what they eat.  To each their own.  Live and let live.For me... I got horrible food poisoning from meat.  Left a bad, psychological "taste" in my mouth.  So, I went veg. after a 3-day hospital stay.  Albeit, I was well after the first day... but the hospital drained my insurance, and tortured me for 2 additional days with tests and fears (while I was on IV -- for reasons unknown).I didn't miss meat, just gummy bears.  So... I never went back.  Been bodybuilding on it, too.  Everything is fine, and I am not held back in the least.  In fact, I feel more energized, than I ever did on a meat diet.To each their own.Cory

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

It sure as h3ll isn't to be an a$$h0l3.  HAHA.  Too many vegetarians and vegans like to insult non-veg.  I just don't care, people eat what they eat.  To each their own.  Live and let live.For me... I got horrible food poisoning from meat.  Left a bad, psychological "taste" in my mouth.  So, I went veg. after a 3-day hospital stay.  Albeit, I was well after the first day... but the hospital drained my insurance, and tortured me for 2 additional days with tests and fears (while I was on IV -- for reasons unknown).I didn't miss meat, just gummy bears.  So... I never went back.  Been bodybuilding on it, too.  Everything is fine, and I am not held back in the least.  In fact, I feel more energized, than I ever did on a meat diet.To each their own.Cory

My roomate is a distance runner and he eats very little meat.  He actually says the meat slows him down and makes him sluggish.  Don't know if that is in his head or not, but I've heard things along those lines before.

My roomate is a distance runner and he eats very little meat.  He actually says the meat slows him down and makes him sluggish.  Don't know if that is in his head or not, but I've heard things along those lines before.

Perhaps he is like me.I don't know why it is, probably due to the longer digestive times required.  I've read meat sometimes sits in the intestines, eventually rotting.  I've read it is recommended for serious meat eaters to do a cleanse once or twice a year, in fact, I knew a guy who used to do that at an old job (on the cleansing days, he'd stay close to the bathroom).  He jokingly referred to himself as a "hamburger connoisseur".  Heavier meals, requiring higher digestive times, can make you feel more tired.  Meat can sit heavy.Like I said, it is all personal preference and experience.  For me, when I ate meat, I always felt sluggish, slow, tired, etc.  Especially AFTER a meal with meat.  I also suffered from acid reflux, gallstones (req. surgery), and constant stomach cramps.When I switched to Veg. lifestyle, I became more vibrant, energetic, etc.  Those aforementioned ailments stopped entirely.  Even my d@mn skin and hair started looking healthier -- to the effect that women noticed, even women I didn't know, and would comment.  Complete strangers, too.  HAHA!I'd have random women stopping to rub their hands through my d@mn hair, commenting on it's color, texture, shine, etc.  Saying they wish they had hair like mine.  I don't color it, I don't do anything to it -- except shower it like the rest of us.  This began happening shortly AFTER I became a Veg.  Never happened before that.So, yes, I am not imaging the effects of my diet on my body (inside and out).  But, like I said, it may just be me.  Everyone is different, and everyone responds differently.That said, anyone can be unhealthy.  There are vegetarians who live off cheese and baked goods... and they get fat, have health issues, and experience nutritional deficiencies.  You gotta be smart, do research, and invest yourself in whatever you do (esp. for your body).  I don't care if your an omnivore, vegetarian, fruitarian, or whatever.Cory

I grew up vegetarian (both of my parents are) and started eating meat in middle school. I went full-on vegan for a year until last May, which also coincided with a couple of marathons. I was careful about getting nutrients like B12, felt good in general, and didn't experience any noticeable downsides other than losing too much weight, which was probably due to increased mileage (I improved my marathon time by 40 minutes) . In the end, though, I just didn't think it was something I could sustain for the rest of my life.I started adding dairy and fish a couple months ago and it felt great. This month I've been adding red meat back (no chicken, simply have not been craving any poultry) and it's been okay, but I hear what you're saying about feeling sluggish. I feel like the heavier meat takes its sweet time getting through my gut and makes me draggy. I think I'm going to keep relying on fish and eggs as my primary meat sources (I will admit that bacon has been pretty good, too).

I tried Veganism, for a good 3 years.  It is too limited, nutritionally.  Eggs are a superfood... whole eggs have EVERYTHING you need... they are complete.  Vegans cannot eat eggs, nor dairy -- some don't even touch honey.I've been bodybuilding as a Lacto-Ovo Veg, entirely.  My body has been built on a non-meat diet.  I've been lifting, seriously, since Oct. 2009.  I've gained considerable lean mass, as well as strength.  People look at me, and are usually shocked that I am a vegetarian.  Then again, the average public isn't too educated on nutrition, and assume vegetarians do not get enough protein.I guess that is thanks to malnurished, lanky Vegans.Cory

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I'd have random women stopping to rub their hands through my d@mn hair, commenting on it's color, texture, shine, etc.  Saying they wish they had hair like mine.  I don't color it, I don't do anything to it -- except shower it like the rest of us.  This began happening shortly AFTER I became a Veg.  Never happened before that.

Now you're just being cocky lol.  Actually since I starting taking fish oil and coconut oil, as well as a general increase in fat, my skin tone has dramtically improved.  Though I don't get girls rubbing their hands through my hair.  Also my eyes got a lot shinier.

I'd have random women stopping to rub their hands through my d@mn hair, commenting on it's color, texture, shine, etc.  Saying they wish they had hair like mine.  I don't color it, I don't do anything to it -- except shower it like the rest of us.  This began happening shortly AFTER I became a Veg.  Never happened before that.

Now you're just being cocky lol.  Actually since I starting taking fish oil and coconut oil, as well as a general increase in fat, my skin tone has dramtically improved.  Though I don't get girls rubbing their hands through my hair.  Also my eyes got a lot shinier.

HAHA!  Or rather, the newfound attention from the ladies had made me "cocky".  8)They say, the hair, skin and nails (eyes, too) are an external sign of how healthy someone is on the inside.  So, let's say some chick has a great face / body, but her hair looks like $h1t in quality (not style), and her skin isn't so great, and her nails look brittle... she is possibly a hot-bed for nastiness.Cory

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Vegetarianism and Cancer risk

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?