Vitamin D Supplementation: Body Recompositioning Made Easy???

• This topic has 9 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

WEASELATOR
    Keymaster

Ok, so this just published in American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.  Overweight and obese subjects taking OJ spiked with 300IU of vitamin D daily lost a significant amount of intra-abdominal fat over 16 weeiks.  But not weight.  Just fat volume.  Sounds like recompositioning to me.  I take vitamin D already, but if you don't perhaps you should.abstract:  http://www.ajcn.org/content/95/1/101.abstractgotta run, got 4 Entenmans' crumb covered donuts on deck for the last of tonight's carb load  ;D

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Vitamin D does have effects on testoterone, which effects body composition.  Unofortunately I do not have access to the full article, I would like to know how many men were used in the study.Most people in the US do not get enough vitamin D especially in the winter so they could be have lower testosterone because of it.

Naomi Most

Yes.  I don't have time to look at this study, but it's interesting to me.Vitamin D is one of the only fractionated vitamins that I think everyone sees a HUGE benefit from taking. Unless you walk around naked for MOST of the day, every single day, you are not getting an optimal amount of vitamin D.I take 5000 IU every single day along with my fish oil and a bit of vitamin A, since D is better absorbed in their presence.  Vitamin A and D are synergistic, so a deficiency in one means that taking more of the other will do nothing for you (and can even be dangerous).

jcgomez

How much A & D should I be taking per day? I am a 160 pound man.

WEASELATOR

Looks like 4000IU daily is the tolerable upper limit: (link at bottom)Health Risks from Excessive Vitamin DVitamin D toxicity can cause non-specific symptoms such as anorexia, weight loss, polyuria, and heart arrhythmias. More seriously, it can also raise blood levels of calcium which leads to vascular and tissue calcification, with subsequent damage to the heart, blood vessels, and kidneys [1]. The use of supplements of both calcium (1,000 mg/day) and vitamin D (400 IU) by postmenopausal women was associated with a 17% increase in the risk of kidney stones over 7 years in the Women's Health Initiative [65]. A serum 25(OH)D concentration consistently >500 nmol/L (>200 ng/mL) is considered to be potentially toxic [5].Excessive sun exposure does not result in vitamin D toxicity because the sustained heat on the skin is thought to photodegrade previtamin D3 and vitamin D3 as it is formed [6]. In addition, thermal activation of previtamin D3 in the skin gives rise to various non-vitamin D forms that limit formation of vitamin D3 itself. Some vitamin D3 is also converted to nonactive forms [1]. Intakes of vitamin D from food that are high enough to cause toxicity are very unlikely. Toxicity is much more likely to occur from high intakes of dietary supplements containing vitamin D.Long-term intakes above the UL increase the risk of adverse health effects [1] (Table 4). Most reports suggest a toxicity threshold for vitamin D of 10,000 to 40,000 IU/day and serum 25(OH)D levels of 500–600 nmol/L (200–240 ng/mL). While symptoms of toxicity are unlikely at daily intakes below 10,000 IU/day, the FNB pointed to emerging science from national survey data, observational studies, and clinical trials suggesting that even lower vitamin D intakes and serum 25(OH)D levels might have adverse health effects over time. The FNB concluded that serum 25(OH)D levels above approximately 125–150 nmol/L (50–60 ng/mL) should be avoided, as even lower serum levels (approximately 75–120 nmol/L or 30–48 ng/mL) are associated with increases in all-cause mortality, greater risk of cancer at some sites like the pancreas, greater risk of cardiovascular events, and more falls and fractures among the elderly. The FNB committee cited research which found that vitamin D intakes of 5,000 IU/day achieved serum 25(OH)D concentrations between 100–150 nmol/L (40–60 ng/mL), but no greater. Applying an uncertainty factor of 20% to this intake value gave a UL of 4,000 IU which the FNB applied to children aged 9 and older, with corresponding lower amounts for younger children.http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/I've read but too lazy to find it now that Vitamin A 10000 units a day can promote osteopenia or osteoporosis.  I think 5000/day was the suggest UL.  4k of each sounds pretty good.

WEASELATOR

K & N have probably seen this already, but as he mentions how CNS kills fat cells, I thought I'd post this link here:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19393629

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Looks like 4000IU daily is the tolerable upper limit: (link at bottom)Health Risks from Excessive Vitamin Dhttp://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/I've read but too lazy to find it now that Vitamin A 10000 units a day can promote osteopenia or osteoporosis.  I think 5000/day was the suggest UL.  4k of each sounds pretty good.

The best method of trying to figure out your Vitamin D intake is to get regular blood tests that measures it in your body and work with a physician.  Everyone is different (genetics, lifestyle, etc) and other than agreeing that Vitamin D is essential to a healthy body, dosage is something that is particular to each individual.  I take 5,000 IU a day and keeps my Vitamin D beyond the 50 mark where my doctor and I prefer it (it took about nine months and three blood tests to determine this).  I know someone who takes 1,000 IU and is fine, and another who takes 6,000 before they get there.  Even after determining your level, it is advisable to keep monitoring as aging, change, etc. will affect your needs.

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

+1 ConradSweet spot typically for my patients is 60-80. Vitamin D is a hormone not a vitamin so regularly testing is important. Sitting outside with your shirt off b/w 10-2 pm for 10-15 min will generate roughly 10000-20000 IU of vitamin D dailyI found this video interesting by a Neurologist in Texas:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7cbBB1c0IM&feature=related

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

+1 ConradSweet spot typically for my patients is 60-80. Vitamin D is a hormone not a vitamin so regularly testing is important. Sitting outside with your shirt off b/w 10-2 pm for 10-15 min will generate roughly 10000-20000 IU of vitamin D dailyI found this video interesting by a Neurologist in Texas:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7cbBB1c0IM&feature=related

Where can I go to get these tests done?  Do I have to give a reason for wanting them?

Hmmm very very interesting… I'm curious how much my multi has now.

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

Intensity Junkie: not enough (peeing in the ocean)ibobland08: First try your doctor, if you want to avoid that then below are some options:http://www.zrtlab.com/vitamin-d-tests/view-all-products.htmlhttps://www.grassrootshealth.net/proj-welcome/?pr=95284

soulmind

Sitting outside with your shirt off b/w 10-2 pm for 10-15 min will generate roughly 10000-20000 IU of vitamin D dailyv=h7cbBB1c0IM&feature=related

Dumb question: is that enough?

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

There are diminishing returns though…

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

@soulmind: You would not know until you checked before and after levels. Also you can have seasonal variation because of decreased UVB exposure in the winter.Easier to just supplement and follow your levels

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Vitamin D Supplementation: Body Recompositioning Made Easy???

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?