Volume, CBL, and Rehab

• This topic has 1 voice and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

BenjaminD

I've had a lower back injury for quite some time now and I'm about to come off of a 6 week layoff from squatting and deadlifting. Instead of taking time off to get better I was always pushing the weights when I felt even a little bit healthy and obviously that didn't make things any better.So to make sure I start from scratch and build a good base before I get back into lifting heavy again, I've devised a plan to fit into my 4-day Westside style split (2 upper days/2 lower days). The weight on the bar will be 135lbs for the first two weeks at least and I will do this for about 4 weeks (until I've built a solid base) and then I can cut the volume in half and progressively increase the weights. The plan looks like this:Monday - Squat 5 sets of 10, Deadlift 5 sets of 10Thursday - Safety Squat 5 sets of 10, RDL 5 sets of 10I will continue my upper body training as normal. Does this look like too much volume for CBL (keep in mind it's twice a week for about 4 weeks)? Has anyone else had success with a similar approach, for both rehab and/or CBL?

RoyalSaints

If you're concerned why not only backload on your upper body days when you know you can go heavy? Or just keep the backloads smaller on the lower body days, say half of what you normally would. Would it be possible to go a bit heavier on some other, non-back related exercise like a leg press or lunges? The issue here isn't the volume per say, it is the light load.

BenjaminD

It's certainly not an issue going heavy on other exercises. I'll probably do some heavy leg presses against doubled bands afterwards. I'm actually not very concerned about the backloading and more curious to know if anyone has taken a similar approach to rehab.

Scruffy

I wouldn't say thats too much volume.  I've done squat and bench 3x a week at least 5 sets each day at an average of about 80% on CKD (not even back loading) and it has been fine.  The only issue, as pointed out, is 135 (lets assume you squat in the 4's and pull in the 5's but who knows?)  isn't exactly intense enough for you to reap the benefits of carb backloading... but you've already got that figured outThat is similar to how I re-habbed my lower back earlier this spring, except I was doing 6x6 squat and dead MWF with about 60%.  You just need to find a balance that works for you.  I think sets of 10 are a bit excessive and might cause you to lose tightness and technique, which should be a primary goal in eliminating injury risk moving forward.  But I'm not a great lifter nor am I a big expert on CBL so consider the source

BenjaminD

You make a good point about tightness and technique. I think I might run into some issues with deadlifting any weight for 10 reps; I HATE doing sets of deads with more than 5 reps. Before I injured myself I usually stuck with sets of 3.Am I the only one who thinks pulling for more than 3 reps is considered repitition work?

Scruffy

You make a good point about tightness and technique. I think I might run into some issues with deadlifting any weight for 10 reps; I HATE doing sets of deads with more than 5 reps. Before I injured myself I usually stuck with sets of 3.Am I the only one who thinks pulling for more than 3 reps is considered repitition work?

I used to stick with singles but now I go upto 5 once every other week.  When pulling conventional more reps seems really hard, when pulling sumo it feels fine.  You can still get in a lot of volume with low-rep sets doing deads, just limit rest breaks and do a bunch of sets.  This way you also get more practice on your setup.  Even though I don't really like it I know that SSPT has a deadlift training table that talks about things like that

BenjaminD

I used to stick with singles but now I go upto 5 once every other week.  When pulling conventional more reps seems really hard, when pulling sumo it feels fine.  You can still get in a lot of volume with low-rep sets doing deads, just limit rest breaks and do a bunch of sets.  This way you also get more practice on your setup.  Even though I don't really like it I know that SSPT has a deadlift training table that talks about things like that

I'm a pretty technical person as it is so unless I'm doing snatch grip deads (I'll strap up for my heavier sets) I pull from a dead stop each rep. I think it's a great way to reinforce form and it makes it absolutely impossible to cheat by bouncing the weights off the floor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Volume, CBL, and Rehab

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?