Wanting some help on a few questions, and I guess concerns.

• This topic has 3 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

So I bought The Carb Nite Solution book very recently, and it helped clairify a lot of questions for me. I started my carb depletion and next Tuesday on the 6th of December of 2011 is when I can have my Carb Nite. The deal is I'm not wanting to lose any weight, I'm standing at 6 feet weighing in at 151 pounds with 7% body fat. I offically found this out this morning, when I got “Health Assessed”. With only 10.5 pounds of fat, and 140.4 pounds of lean muscle, I would love to turn the rest of the fat into hard, lean muscle. I figured if I did Carb Nite, intaking carbs once a week, while lifiting and doing cardio, I can achieve that, but reading about Carb-Backloading I'm not sure that I will accomplish my goal with just intaking carbs once a week while working out. I think it will “hurt” me more than “help” me. So my question/concern is, would Carb-Backloading benefit me more than Carb Nite? I'm sure it will, but I'm skepitcal about numbers regarding gaining weight, and not wanting it to be bad weight. Though after seeing pics of the results Kiefer has, it's worth the risk/try. The only supplements I use are: BPI Sports 1MR for Pre-WorkoutDymatize Nutrition ISO 100 for Post-Workout (soon to transition over to their Elite Whey Protein Isolate)Pills: L-Carnitine, Green Tea Extract, Forskolin, Yohimbe, and CLA. My workout times range from 3:15/3:30 till around 4:45 in the early evening, and if it's a cardio day/active rest day I usually right go when I wake up in the mornings around 5:30/6Now this is a guess-timated test for Carb-Backloading, but this is what I think so far, and planning on doing very soon (when I buy the book!) would this be good?Non-Lifting Days:Wake up at 7am, if it's a cardio day then 5:30Have Plain Black Coffee (will soon get either Heavy Whipping Cream, and/or Coconut Oil)Lunch is around 11:30am containing Protein, Veggies, and Fats. (Plain Tuna, Steamed Broccoli, Spinach, Mustard, Cheese/Olive Oil)Cardio again around 4pmDinner at around 5:30 pm containing same as Lunch, but with Grilled Chicken instead of Tuna.(Carbs was thinking about either strawberries, or freezing grapes after dinner for a low carb choice, not sure if this is a good idea or not)Lifiting Days:Wake up at 7am, if it's Back, and Bicep Day then I do cardio in the mornings as well around 5:30Have Plain Black CoffeeLunch is the sameWorkout at around 3:30, get done around 5, same thing for morning, if it's Back and Bicep day then cardio afterwardsDinner around 5:30 has Protein, Veggies, and Carbs. (limiting Fat intake, with rice, pasta, bread, some sort of dessert.After Dinner Snack has Carbs before bed (a delicious desert)Any replies, critiquing, anything, would be greatly appreciated. Who knows exchanging information might help answer other "Heros-In-Training" questions/concerns.

JR

“Pills: L-Carnitine, Green Tea Extract, Forskolin, Yohimbe, and CLA”=Waste of Money…..If you want you can keep taking green tea for its antioxidant benefits thats fine but even thats not necessary. It may offer some benefits in metabolism, but nothing overly significant. I would stop buying every one of these pills there all bogus. What are your plans with 1MR and when are you taking it? you shouldn't consume any other source of caffeine if your taking 1MR. 1MR has 300 mg of caffeine which is equivalent to about 3 cups of coffee. How many days do you plan on using 1MR?

Hurley

You mentioned turning the rest of  the fat (10.5lbs) into hard lean muscle.  I kind of see a few problems with that.One problem is fat isn't turned into muscle.  Its stored or burned for energy.  Also, when you say "the rest" of the fat, I imagine you meaning bringing your bodyfat percentage to zero, which would probably bring you life percent to    zero!  7% is pretty low for about ninety five percent of people, and 6ft @ 151 is skinny! I'm not trying to imply that I know the first thing about anything, but I think Backloading would be perfect for you!  It's definitely NOT low carb, and would allow you to put on muscle without it turning to fat and more muscle with the same amount of fat would equal a lower bodyfat percentage which is what i think i understand you to be looking for (although 7% is already low!).And I wouldn't worry about your caffeine too much, I've taken up to 1600 mg. a day for weeks at a time several times in the past.

JR

I agree with Hurley you should try carb-back loading. However, 1600 mg of caffeine is insane….you could die if you take that much. You will also grow tolerant to 1MR easily.

JR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPm_Pn-5CdA        Good video to watch

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

7% body fat is significantly on the low end and you should not work at all to lower that further.  The only exception would be a temporary drop perhaps for a competition, but you might be able to drop 2 more pounds of fat at most before you became horrible ill.  Your body needs some fat and 10 pounds for a 6 footer is on the border of too low.Carb Nite Solution is intended to help you lose fat, and Kiefer says it in the book. but muscle gain is not readily supported while on Carb Nite.  Carb Backloading would be far more appropriate for you, allowing you to gain muscle without gaining unnecessary fat.  Obviously, you'll have to do the research to learn what you need to do until the book comes out, and even then, you will have to fine-tune the diet based on how your body responds.

Richard Schmitt

Thanks y'all, yeah I was really skeptical about losing more weight I really didn't want, but my main goal is to put on more lean muscle mass. I really appreciate the advice given from each of you.

masZUL
    Participant

I agree with a lot of what has been posted already… If I were in your shoes I'd focus on putting on muscle mass not losing fat.  ~7% is close to the lowest sustainable bf that I've seen (most people have a very difficult time keeping under 6% for long periods of time).  If you were to add 20lbs while staying at that same bf you'd end up pretty damn ripped!

mjnewland

From looking at the results some of the big powerlifters are getting with backloading, I'd lean that direction.  If you follow the backloading protocol to the “t”, being 6' and only a buck and a half, I'll bet you'll grow like crazy.  Do it and report back.

Richard Schmitt

Sure thing, I have pictures posted of what I look like now on bodybuilding.com's BodySpace deal, trying to keep track with my progress that way too. I'm hoping I do this program correctly I don't want to gain a lot of body fat, but keep it where it is at or around it. So should I start back-loading now? Or wait till the 9 days of depletion is up? Also that my workout routine would be acceptable for Carb-backloading or should I up it a notch?I plan on taking measurements, pictures, and mentioning any results every week, on Mondays. Thanks everyone for the replies, it really does help.

Hurley

The depletion phase for backloading is usually only 3-4 days because you'll be eating carbs every night anyway. So you should be able to just jump on after that long I believe.

Richard Schmitt

Alright good to go, today is my third day of not eating carbs, and I have my leg workout tomorrow so…an exciting night of backloading will possibly happen?? =D

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Wanting some help on a few questions, and I guess concerns.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?