Weight Training with Oxygen?

• This topic has 3 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone has tried this (pre, post, or during). If so, how did it work for you?Google shows a fair amount of promotion (aka "EWOT"), but it's mostly cardio (and not much on personal results).I'm curious as to whether it actually helps muscle growth, or (by making the workout easier?) hinders it._

Rob Haas

A friend of mine has an O2 tank with a mask in his home gym. They swear by it. Me personally I don't feel it doing a thing.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Huh. Can you elaborate on their claims? More weight? More endurance? Quicker recovery?Thanks for the reply.

Rob Haas

They are powerlifters so they don't do any cardio work at all. I guess they feel it helps them recover better between sets. I nor they have added any significant amount of weight to the bar by using O2. Personally, I think it's just placebo effect…

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Good to know, thanks.

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

There was a good article about it in train magazine last month, but it didn't show benefits for weight loss, hypertrophy, or strength gain, however there were marked benefits for VO2 max, which is great if you plan to train for endurance sports/mma/competitive xfit. Not really useful for much else. edit: oops, my misread, I was thinking oxygen restriction, not having 02 at the stand by.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scope75

I know some pure oxygen is great when your hungover and hating life. I won't say it works but I'd think it would help during cardio or between sets.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

I think I'll give it a try and see if it makes a difference. I'm only doing short HIT workouts, and probably can't expect too much with a weak ticker anyway. But every little bit helps.Thanks guys.

Scope75

I think I'll give it a try and see if it makes a difference. I'm only doing short HIT workouts, and probably can't expect too much with a weak ticker anyway. But every little bit helps.Thanks guys.

Again, I'm a trainer at a HIT facility. I had a client use oxygen post workout and she said it was not more then neat waste of money.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

I have an O2 generator (two actually), so there's no extra expense, just the annoyance of moving one back and forth.

I had a client use oxygen post workout and she said it was not more then neat waste of money.

Hmmm... so PWO doesn't help. I may try it for 1/2 hr or so pre-workout and see if that makes any difference. If not, I can move one to the bench and give it a shot during a workout.It will be next week, but I'll try to post how it goes. Thanks again guys. 🙂

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Well, I gave it a couple of shots. O2 generator was set at 4L per minute.The first time, I only managed about 10 mins pre-WO and 35 mins PWO. The second time, about 20 minutes pre-WO, and then 15 minutes inter-WO, none PWO.It might have helped some (given my heart condition), but certainly not as much as expected. I see no reason to recommend it for healthy folks at all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Weight Training with Oxygen?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?