Wendler’s 531 – which assistance?

• This topic has 2 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

marcfraz123
    Keymaster

Hi guys,I am very aware of this 'competition' between Kiefer's Shockwave and Wendler's 531 and I am curious as to what assistance you are all doing.I am currently on DB, and looking to gain size. I am in my 2nd week of Wendler's 531 and following the assistance used by Matt Ogus, which can be found here:http://www.simplyshredded.com/rising-star-natural-bodybuilder-matthew-ogus-talks-with-simplyshredded-com.htmlI have seen Wendler's own bodybuilding type of assistance, but he incorporates Deadlifts with Back exercises. Now, legs are a particular weak point of mine, so I have upped the volume to 2x/week as per Matt Ogus's assistance.I am not a beginner with regard to training (5 years experience), although I have only been backloading for approximately 3 months. My push lifts aren't all that strong (I blame it on long limbs!):Squat 1RM = 125kg, Bench 1RM = 90kg + Military 1RM = 60kg. However, my deadlift is strong (again due to long limbs!) 1RM = 210kg.My bodyweight is currently 77kg and I am looking to add at least 6kg over the next 10 months or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Marc

BenMarchant

I have just finished up an 8 week wendler strength programme (I realise you can go much longer than this) whilst back loading and it went really well for me. Packed on a load of strength – not too much size but then that wasnt my aim. In terms of assistance exercises i kind of looked at it in this way. For example on Squat day I'd ask myself what do i need for a strong squat. So after I'd done my reps and sets of squats I'd be thinking I need to do some core work, possibly some work on the traps, lower back work, also some trigger point release and flexibility work in the legs and hip area. Same thing again on bench press day. Do your reps and sets of benching and then ask yourself what you need for a strong bench press. I would do things like weighted dips, core work, etc. I found that was probably the best programme I've ever followed for strength gains. Good luck mate

Jtt
    Participant

+1 on what BenMarchant said.You have to figure out what are your short points on your lifts... is it your tris? Lats? or overall just weak?If you are stuck and not sure on what to do for assistance work I suggest 1 of 2 options:Do the BW assistance work (can't go wrong doing a crapload of pullups)Do the Big but Boring assistance work. I assure you, any of the above for the next few weeks won't hinder you.

marcfraz123

Thanks for the replies guys.I was thinking something along the lines of;Squat 5/3/1Olympic Pause Squat (wave loading 3x10, 3x8, 3x5 - every 3 weeks)GHRs/SLDLs 3-5 x5-10Calf Raises supersetted with an Abs movement 5x8-10Deadlift 5/3/1Low box squat (wave loading 3x10, 3x8, 3x5 - every 3 weeks)GHRs/Leg Curl 3-5 x5-10Calf Raises supersetted with an Abs movement 5x8-10How does that look for lower body days?Thanks,Marc

BenMarchant

Big but boring is brilliant for assistance work. Plus a few extra little bits to strengthen your overall lift. My advice would be not to reinvent the programme but go with what is suggested by Wendler. Good info on this link: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strengthMore than anything dont overdo it. You soon realise that you wont walk out of the gym every workout feeling exhausted and pumped but this allows you to keep adding weight week after week. I think Wendler advises leaving your ego at the door when you walk in the gym....great advice. Decide what you are doing according to the program, do it and then leave, dont be tempted into a couple more sets! You'll get far more out of this in the long run

marcfraz123

Boring but big looks excellent for assistance work, particularly regarding the upper body.However, with regard to the lower body days, do you feel that the volume is adequate enough? Also, 5 x 10 on Deadlifts will surely place too much havoc on the lower back? Don't forget, I am aiming for a significant amount of hypertrophy too and not just strength.Thanks,Marc

BenMarchant

To a degree your hyperthrophy will come with the increase in strength and a good back loading diet that is helping the muscles to grow. I suppose that the only way you'll tell is by trying the workout as its set out and then tweaking as necessary. In my experience I enjoyed every workout as I've mentioned above. Just make sure you give it a decent trial before deciding its not for you.  Remember those 5 sets of 10 reps will not be taken to complete failure. The idea is to take 50% of 1RM and then do the 5 sets of 10 after your initial heavy work. I found that it was probably only set 4 and 5 that went close to failure.

marcfraz123

Ok i've decided on BBB, but have added calfs 5×10 to the lower body days (will be supersetted with the Abs exercises).Hopefully, this routine, in conjunction with DB will provide me with hypertrophic gains as a by-product of strength increases.

VinnyJones

Thanks for the replies guys.I was thinking something along the lines of;Squat 5/3/1Olympic Pause Squat (wave loading 3x10, 3x8, 3x5 - every 3 weeks)Just do Squat BBB - pause squats pointless after your normal squat session. Either do squat BBB or Good Mornings (lowish weight, high reps).GHRs/SLDLs 3-5 x5-10High reps win the day with assistance work like this. So stick to something in the 8 to 12 rep range.Calf Raises supersetted with an Abs movement 5x8-10No need for calf raises. Ab work is good; decline sit ups or standing cable crunches. Higher reps again.Deadlift 5/3/1Low box squat (wave loading 3x10, 3x8, 3x5 - every 3 weeks)If you want a full body style routine copy the format in Wendler's book. But 10x2 always works best with box squats IMHO. GHRs/Leg Curl 3-5 x5-10GHR good again and leg curls fine. Higher reps though.Calf Raises supersetted with an Abs movement 5x8-10Abs good. You could benefit from something like Kroc Rows to really blast your upper back too.How does that look for lower body days?Thanks,Marc

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Wendler’s 531 – which assistance?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?