What do your low carb diet days look like?

• This topic has 6 voices and 16 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Newfiedan
    Participant

I am still tweaking mine trying to get a 50/50 ratio of fat to protein but am still usually finding myself higher on the protein end of things. I am still struggling to get the fat in there without resorting to bacon or some other high fat foods. I have doubled up on the whipping cream in my morning coffee, butter, and olive oil I use but I think it would be beneficial to see other members diet arrangement. When I went over the simple higher cal outline sample in the cns book the samples were almost all higher protein to fat ratio than a 50/50.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I'm having the same trouble since I've recorded macros.  50/50 ratio can be tough, although if I didn't have a pwo shake (40-50g protein), I'd be set.

Newfiedan
    Participant

well to get my cals in I pretty much run higher protein just because I find meat easier to prep and get my cals from than finding a fat source lol. I did manage to get a 50/50 for one day but I was low on cals so its pretty hard to get the numbers in cals without going over on protein. I eat anywhere between 2500-3200 cals a day and working as much as I do on busy days I tend to eat closer to 3200 cals.

Kris1501

A lot of people on the forum have mentioned the importance of the 50/50 split. However, I think that can become bit of a distraction.. Just focus on keeping fats as high as possible and you'll be fine. Protein will almost always be higher…

Newfiedan
    Participant

Well so far I am down 1.4 lbs and eating anything over 2500 cals makes it hard to control sodium, but on the bright side day 4 and I certainly noticed a massive increase in my energy levels, today was soooo much better energy wise. At the end of the 3rd day I was moody, low energy and exhausted. Today I have energy to spare. I am still looking for a place to get the coconut oil and think I have tracked it down as sangsters in my city. They are a little pricey but I have not had any luck at any of the grocery stores here.

Naomi Most

If you're really having a tough time getting the fats in, keep these foods in mind:macadamia nuts  (great for blending into shakes)avocado  (add to salads, mix with smoked salmon)bacon  (uh, hello? eat more bacon! because you can!)butternut butters (have you tried walnut butter? a mildly expensive treat.)brisket (and other very fatty cuts of beef)BUTTERhazelnut flour (pay attention to the recipes in Carb Nite)almond flourYou'll know you're doing it right when your partner starts asking why you need to buy butter every three days.  😀

Newfiedan
    Participant

I am getting better at it as time wears on, I got my coconut oil at bulk barn after found a good deal it was 18 bucks for 850ml. Cheapest deal I could find on it. With that and my heavy cream + other fats I am doing better at it now. I eat bacon but do not really like the sodium reduced stuff, lol.

6by6

whole eggsground beef higher fat kind I make taco salad with itcheese on everything flax seed bread very high fat and a good treat

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

On day 7 of reorientation, doing 2 days a week in the gym of lifting. And am mixing in IF. I am typically under 20 grams of carbs a day so far, even on lifting days.Breakfast is coffee, 1-2 tsp mct oil, 1-2 tbsp Kerry old butter see bulletproof coffee: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/Break fast at 12-1 pm , typically meat and veg, with butterDinner meat, veg with cheese or butterIf hungry then I snack  on almonds, limited amount of raw cashews (because of higher usable carbs) basically use as a treat, bacon, low carb protein shakes (pre and post workout)I probably need to work on better P:F ratio, at about 30:50-60 right nowAnxiously awaiting my first CN

Naomi Most

On day 7 of reorientation, doing 2 days a week in the gym of lifting. And am mixing in IF. I am typically under 20 grams of carbs a day so far, even on lifting days.

Great! Home stretch!

Breakfast is coffee, 1-2 tsp mct oil, 1-2 tbsp Kerry old butter see bulletproof coffee: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/Break fast at 12-1 pm , typically meat and veg, with butterDinner meat, veg with cheese or butterIf hungry then I snack  on almonds, limited amount of raw cashews (because of higher usable carbs) basically use as a treat, bacon, low carb protein shakes (pre and post workout)

Cool. Do you really think you need a pre-workout shake though...?

I probably need to work on better P:F ratio, at about 30:50-60 right now

That's not so bad. Really, getting that 50/50 protein/fat split is a nice "limit" (in calculus terms) to shoot for -- not some kind of golden ratio.  I promote it because so many people feel they need numbers to attach to everything and because people are generally, almost universally, undereating fat when they set out on Carb Nite or CBL, due to ingrained eating habits.The only number that MATTERS in a very real way is that 30g of carbs maximum per day. I've asked Kiefer to explain why; he says the research consistently demonstrates that it IS kind of a magical number and nobody really understands it yet.Btw, I noticed your comment on a recent article over on the BulletproofExec.com blog -- just curious, which did you come across first and how: Carb Back-Loading or Bulletproof Coffee?

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

“Cool. Do you really think you need a pre-workout shake though…?”My pre workout shake is not very hi calorie, just coffee, splash of unsweetened almond milk and 10-20 grams whey and some creatine/BCAA's. Seems to help me get thru my work outs."Btw, I noticed your comment on a recent article over on the BulletproofExec.com blog -- just curious, which did you come across first and how: Carb Back-Loading or Bulletproof Coffee?"As for Bulletproof Coffee, I have been following Dave's blog for awhile, he recently tweeted a link to Carb Back Loading, which is how I found CNS. I have never had a muscular build, but have dealt with being overweight since college. I have gotten down to the hi 180's from being 255 lbs several years ago, struggling all the way. Just have not been able to get the last 30 off. I would also like to add some muscle mass. Plan on CBL after CNS.One more question, my first CN is Saturday but it is going to be less than an ideal day to do it (function came up), is it better to do CN one day early or one day late (or does it matter)?

amedio

If you're really having a tough time getting the fats in, keep these foods in mind:macadamia nuts  (great for blending into shakes)avocado  (add to salads, mix with smoked salmon)bacon  (uh, hello? eat more bacon! because you can!)butternut butters (have you tried walnut butter? a mildly expensive treat.)brisket (and other very fatty cuts of beef)BUTTERhazelnut flour (pay attention to the recipes in Carb Nite)almond flourYou'll know you're doing it right when your partner starts asking why you need to buy butter every three days.  😀

Namoi, what exactly do you do with the avocado and smoke salmon? Do you have any particular recipe?

Naomi Most

Namoi, what exactly do you do with the avocado and smoke salmon? Do you have any particular recipe?

Not really, I just find these two things to go very well together. I will often take lettuce leaves and mash some avocado into them, followed by strips of smoked salmon, some cracked pepper, some red onions, maybe a dash of mustard or some capers or something.  Eat like a "sandwich wrap".  Or just... you know... have a salad.  🙂

Naomi Most

"Cool. Do you really think you need a pre-workout shake though...?"My pre workout shake is not very hi calorie, just coffee, splash of unsweetened almond milk and 10-20 grams whey and some creatine/BCAA's. Seems to help me get thru my work outs.

Ahhh, alright.Maybe we need (as a group) to come up with a term like "pre-workout BOOSTER" that doesn't carry the implications of heavy nutrition that "pre-workout protein shake" does.

"Btw, I noticed your comment on a recent article over on the BulletproofExec.com blog -- just curious, which did you come across first and how: Carb Back-Loading or Bulletproof Coffee?"As for Bulletproof Coffee, I have been following Dave's blog for awhile, he recently tweeted a link to Carb Back Loading, which is how I found CNS. I have never had a muscular build, but have dealt with being overweight since college. I have gotten down to the hi 180's from being 255 lbs several years ago, struggling all the way. Just have not been able to get the last 30 off. I would also like to add some muscle mass. Plan on CBL after CNS.

That all sounds good.  Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

One more question, my first CN is Saturday but it is going to be less than an ideal day to do it (function came up), is it better to do CN one day early or one day late (or does it matter)?

If it's your FIRST Carb Nite, you're safer doing it one day later.  I mean, at the tail end of the 9 days it starts to not matter, but you can't know for sure.So I can tell you that you will *certainly* be doing it right waiting one more day, and "maybe" doing it right going one day earlier.

bako71

You didn't mention Coconut flour.  I have been using that lately....is it ok?  I mix it with a couple eggs and make a pancake. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

What do your low carb diet days look like?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?