What happened to Kiefer’s Soy article on T-Nation?

• This topic has 5 voices and 24 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Naomi Most

I have no idea. It's just… gone… without a word.Spooky.

Richard Schmitt

Is soy protein still bad? I ask because I take Dymatize Nutrition ISO 100 at the moment, soon to switch to their Elite Whey Protein Isolate. Also that Labrada has these RTD's I really like and wondering if they're ok to take. The Lean Body On-The-Go RTD.

JR

@BigTEX0525 be careful with RTDs the majority of them are crap in terms of quality and ingredients. I would stay away from RTDs…I think there are some credible studies showing they are not as effective or effective at all compared to powders but Im not positive. I have used Dymatize ISO 100* in the past and I think it just contains soybean oil, not soy protein. Small amounts of soy forms like soy lecithin(emulsifier) are unavoidable… and they won't pose any harm. Kiefer was trying to advise people to stay away from soy protein specifically. For example you would have to be drinking the bottle of soy sauce for it to possibly have a negative effect. If Im allowed to and anyone's interested I can post the original Soy article by Kiefer. The article was really unique…most soy negative article focus on inconclusive studies on negative effects on testosterone. But Kiefer focused on something I never heard before about Soy and acknowledged the testosterone studies were inconclusive I believe. * I tried the banana flavor...I had to give it away to someone who liked it for the taste...since then Iv'e always bought chocolate for powders   

Richard Schmitt

Oh ok. Yeah I would have used these certain RTD's as like snack options for in-between meals. I figured that the Dymatize Nutrition Whey would be ok for post-workout protein powders. Almost everything has soy in it, and makes it difficult to select certain products that I do enjoy to not intake anymore. I want to use this program, and meet the guidelines they set out.

JR

You should probably avoid any kind of whey before your workout. Save it for post-workout and during the carb backload. It does cause a significant insulin response. If you can, get a whey isolate or Kiefer's blends. Natures best makes a great whey isolate and I believe it only has Sucralose as a sweetener. I try and pick ones with fewer ingredients. A lot of companies try to save costs and put whey isolate on the ingredients list just for show but the majority is from a whey concentrate.

Richard Schmitt

Thanks JR! I really appreciate all the info! I'll be sure to look at the ingredients I got and into Nature's Best!

Kiefer
    Participant

I don't agree with JR about no whey before training. It can be used appropriately to attenuate muscle protein breakdown without hindering or interrupting the normal fat burning that occurs with training. The secret is how little to take.Also, all I can share about the disappearance of my article from T-Nation and the deletion of my author profile (here's what's left of it: https://www.t-nation.com/ALSAuthor.do?p=John%20Kiefer&pageNo=1) is the only response I've received from anyone associated with T-Nation: it's a glitch, it happens sometimes. So, feel free to post your conjectures as to what really happened.

Kiefer
    Participant

@JR: isolate, in small quantities is “okay”, it's hydrolysates that spike insulin levels even in small quantity. In the book, I go over the difference and how best to use each during the day, before, during and after training and with carb back-loaded meals.With this kind of participation, these forums are going to be awesome.

JR

@Kiefer Thanks Kiefer for clearing that up. Looking forward to the book. Iv'e learned a lot from your blog.

6by6

I don't agree with JR about no whey before training. It can be used appropriately to attenuate muscle protein breakdown without hindering or interrupting the normal fat burning that occurs with training. The secret is how little to take.Also, all I can share about the disappearance of my article from T-Nation and the deletion of my author profile (here's what's left of it: https://www.t-nation.com/ALSAuthor.do?p=John%20Kiefer&pageNo=1) is the only response I've received from anyone associated with T-Nation: it's a glitch, it happens sometimes. So, feel free to post your conjectures as to what really happened.

Did you bad mouth the anaconda protocol perhaps?

devilmanVISA

I wouldn't sweat the T-nation brush off, not that you are. Despite how much I like some of their products, that company is as shady and cult like as they come.AnecdoteI was up late, clicking through their "most recent forum threads" on the main page. It was roughly 3 or 4am central time. Someone with a few other intermittent posts to his forum account posted a question about the anaconda protocol and the flavoring causing nausea. The read appeared on the real time updating "most recent forum threads" list while I was staring at it. I jumped in and read his 2 line post, which basically stated that the liquid splenda they use as a sweetener was causing him nausea. I had issues with this when using lots of Nectar protein in the past when cutting to 6% body fat. So I filled him in that it was possibly the flavoring, and that he could mix his anaconda with powerade zero, or another flavored beverage of the same sort. I picked this technique up from Dave Tate in some log post he made about it at some time.I was able to conclude my post and submit, but when I returned to the main page it was no longer listed at the top of the "action" list. Curious. Back button, back button, and there is the thread with my attached post. Refresh button. Invalid thread specified. Back button x3, click original poster profile link, user banned.In short, they had someone moderating their forum at 3am mountain time and pulled the Gestapo black bag operation on a dude who simply wanted to use their product without the added side effect of nausea. I get troll maintenance but, SRSLY? Just a wee bit militant./Anecdote

JR

Richard Schmitt

So I'm lactose intolerant, and can't really drink regular milk unless I want to pass gas really bad, or use the toliet every minute…is soy milk bad to drink?

Kiefer
    Participant

So I'm lactose intolerant, and can't really drink regular milk unless I want to pass gas really bad, or use the toliet every minute...is soy milk bad to drink?

Are you serious or being a smartass? I'll assume the former: yes, soy milk is bad. Drink almond milk or,my personal favorite coconut milk (there are more and more brands coming out so it should be easy to find).

JR

Almond Milk and Coconut milk are everywhere. I love both of them. You don't have to go to a fancy grocery store to get either of them. Even Target and Walmart have them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

What happened to Kiefer’s Soy article on T-Nation?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?