What Ori says about casein

• This topic has 5 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Leo Solis
    Participant

I'd be skeptical of anyone who claims chemical free products, seeing as that's likely impossible. (Unless he's selling protein jugs with a vacuum inside.) More importantly, question his vested interest in deterring individuals from taking casein. What products does he sell that might benefit from people believing that casein is an inferior protein? (http://store.defensenutrition.com/categories/Products/#.UGxIPFEQfQU) I'm not entirely surprised that he indeed sells whey protein. I'll deal with his claims in his first few paragraphs below.

If you're an athlete, a fitness advocate or a dieter who routinely uses protein supplements, there's a good chance your supplement is made with a bad ingredient.That ingredient is called casein.So what exactly is casein?Casein is the main protein in raw milk. It is typically extracted via acid heat processing and used as a common ingredient in protein products - powders, bars and drinks. You may have been told that casein supplementation is highly beneficial for your muscle and body, but I'm here to prove to you that nothing is further from the truth.What's Wrong With the Typical Casein in Sport Nutrition Supplements?It's an inferior protein, often drenched with toxic residues. In fact, it's one of the worst proteins for your muscle.This report reveals some of the dirtiest secrets behind casein manufacturing. If you're serious with your diet and training regimen, you owe it to yourself to know these facts before purchasing another casein-containing protein.You may have already been noticing some of the side effects involved with casein ingestion - heart burn, bad after taste, indigestion, allergies ... Or you may have been thinking "I'm ok with my protein and I don't even care if it contains casein" …There are many individuals who honestly want to believe that their protein is okay, but what they may not be aware of is that protein manufacturers have been routinely taking advantage of their trust. And in the case of casein …They Sell You Nothing More Than Garbage With A Fancy LabelWhy garbage? Because it's cheap. They use the least costly methods to extract the casein. They use cheap chemical acids found in fertilizers and household cleaning products. Does he have a citation for claiming that these chemicals exist in significant quantities to be harmful to human health? Does have proof of their carcinogenic or mutagenic properties at any consumption level, let alone that in the product?It all comes down to one word: GREED.It costs them about 10 times less than what you pay. Their profits are around 10,000% - a huge margin, similar to that of drug companies - and all this on your account. And they don't just rip you off financially, they also jeopardize your health and they rob you of your hard-earned gains. I highly doubt this. Given that the supplement industry and the supplement supplier industry are both highly competitive and distributed, it would be difficult to create any sort of cartel that was able to control the pricing of casein, especially at the profit levels suggested by the author. All it would take is one seller to price at, say, 9000% profit and the vast majority of revenue (and a higher total of profits for that firm) would accrue to that one firm. It is clear Ori has not taken a basic economics course in some time.This report is not the typical fitness article - You won't be able to get this information anywhere else. The reason: the manufacturers of this protein are some of the biggest sponsors of the fitness media-magazines, radio, Internet, etc. One thing's for sure, they're not interested in your education. This is a strawman as per the discussion above. Given the lack of a cartel effort in supplements, the long term profits (on a percentage basis) of casein would be expected to be relatively consistent with those of other protein sources.  Firms could gain a marketing advantage by criticizing casein for these supposed deficiencies in order to induce customers to purchase their whey products. In fact, that is what Ori appears to be doing here. Perhaps his incentives are misaligned as much as he claims the supplement industry's to be.

Ori then goes on to complain about the water solubility of casein. (Is this a problem in the digestive tract? He never reveals a study that suggests it might be.)He also cites the acidity of casein, although there is no body of evidence to suggest that the alkalinization strategy pursued by some naturalist authors has any basis in reality. None of his citations make any claims to significant health benefits of alkaline or neutral proteins. In short, his citations aren't linked properly in the paper, his arguments are decidedly out of the scientific mainstream, and his vested interest makes me highly skeptical of his claims. I don't consider it solid rhetoric to simply list a stream of papers at the end of an article when they do little at all to back up one's most incredulous claims.TL;DR: Ori wants to sell whey. Bashing casein sells more whey.

Leo Solis
    Participant

Thanks for your opinion

Thanks for your opinion

Do you think he's on to something?

earlyriser

There are more people out there other than Ori who bash Casein and the general opinion is that whey is much safer for your health.Would be interested in Kiefer's input here. There is of course the China Study and its author who found issues with Casein and then applied these issues to all animal protein which is of course ridiculous. I often hear people saying he is a moron for generalizing all animal protein as bad but no one really attacks what he discovered about Casein. 

There are more people out there other than Ori who bash Casein and the general opinion is that whey is much safer for your health.Would be interested in Kiefer's input here. There is of course the China Study and its author who found issues with Casein and then applied these issues to all animal protein which is of course ridiculous. I often hear people saying he is a moron for generalizing all animal protein as bad but no one really attacks what he discovered about Casein.

The general opinion from the naturalist health community or from researchers? I've not see any consensus from scientists that casein is a problematic protein in an extraordinary way.In fact, the big news the past few weeks was the development of a genetically modified cow that produces less beta-lactoglobulin - the major whey protein in milk which is responsible for much of the protein related milk allergies.

Leo Solis
    Participant

Thanks for your opinion

What do yo mean?

Thanks for your opinion

What do yo mean?

I just find that some people link to gurus without posting their own thoughts on the matter. Often their thinking might be more valuable than they assume.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Thanks for your opinion

What do yo mean?

I just find that some people link to gurus without posting their own thoughts on the matter. Often their thinking might be more valuable than they assume.

I know Kiefer isn't a fan of Ori Hefmekler, but know absolutely nothing about him except that he created the Warrior Diet. 

Go Heavy
    Participant

Keifer did talk about casein in his interview with Muscle and Fitness.  The only negative thing about it is if you're allergic to milk or are going to develop a milk allergy, casein will aggravate that issue while whey isolate won't.  Same with if your body doesn't much care for lactose as well if I recall correctly.  Other than that casein is fine.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Keifer did talk about casein in his interview with Muscle and Fitness.  The only negative thing about it is if you're allergic to milk or are going to develop a milk allergy, casein will aggravate that issue while whey isolate won't.  Same with if your body doesn't much care for lactose as well if I recall correctly.  Other than that casein is fine.

That is my opinion on the matter.  I have read studies that shows that casein enhances protein synthesis rather than just whey alone.  Also casein is the only protein supplement (that is widely available) that can mimic whole food protein in regard to the length of time where there is a positive nitrogen balance and elevated amino acids.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

What Ori says about casein

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?