What to tell people about the program?

• This topic has 6 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

NewJenn
    Keymaster

Hi all, I am trying to figure out what to tell friends about Carb Nite. A little history is that I have been on several programs, obviously with limited long term results (that is why there is a need for CNS) My friends and family are used to my many efforts as well as often being termed the crazy work out girl in my different groups of friends. (I have converted a few but most think a good walk is all they need ::))Admittedly until you read all of the research behind CNS, eating bacon, heavy cream, cheeses etc…gets unwanted responses from the masses. ”Doing Atkins huh?” As well as it spurring their need to counsel on nutrition and other opinions (most of which I don’t care to hear) So my question to everyone is this: what are you telling people about your CNS journey, or are you keeping mum?I am usually an all in type of personality, I read everything I can about my interests and obsess a bit until I feel I grasp a concept fully. Fortunately my fiancé (Powerlifter) has also been educating on Kiefers programs and is doing CBL so I have a knowledgeable person to bounce things off of, and I have someone to enjoy carb nite with.  (By the way a Carb Nite/Date Night is awesome!!)It’s tempting to tell people it’s really none of their business, but I know that is rude. I kind of want to keep things to myself for a while. Especially until I grasp the knowledge and research behind the program better as well as have some results to back it up. (I am not sure I will ever be able to spout the research like Kiefer but we all can dream a bit!)

Kevin rogers
    Participant

I totally agree with you. There is a thread somewhere in the forum that people discuss this topic.I just try to lead by example at first because I know I'm not going to convince anybody of anything they don't want to hear. The old addage "when the student is ready the teacher will appear"It is hard though, to keep quiet about something you feel so passionate about and to know that this could really benefit them. Especially when they share your last name!

dawatts22

Obv I cant hide it from my wife so I had to give her the science behind it and assure her I would be eating veggies etc.  Aside from that people at work  >:( can GO FUC…. oh NOT be rude.  I would say to the Atkins questioner “something like that” and if they press suggest they buy the book and look into for themselves.  Honestly saying something like “atkins huh” to someone is rude in and of itself so a little rudeness back would be justified as well.  But if questioned like that you could always turn it around and say “something like atkins yes, what are you having?”  I find once you redirect people will shy away with some general answer and probably not ever ask you about your eating choices again since they probably have a lunch in a cardboard microwaveable box and they know it isnt good for them.I hope this didnt come off as too angry  :-.  Ive dealt with office assholes before and also those that are genuinely curious and want to learn.  If you can differentiate between the two then you can tailor your response. 

dawatts22

It is hard though, to keep quiet about something you feel so passionate about and to know that this could really benefit them.  Especially when they share your last name!

So true.

NewJenn

Thanks guys, and no I don't think you came off as too angry, I had to rewrite my post a few times as to not come off that way either! (I personally would like to say none of your @%$ing business, but that is probably not the wisest choice in a buisiness environment!)The redirection suggestion is excellent! I also cringe when I see them heating up "healthy" freezer boxed meals. Come on people at least eat real food!!

AdamFiddler

If people around you see you truly believe in what you're doing and won't even tolerate being fucked with about it by half-wits (read: easily ignore the half-wits) then obviously they aren't going to waste their time pushing some b.s. nutritional advice they're only regurgitating anyways and don't even have confidence in themselves. Don't make it "me vs. you", just smile, accept their position, and then when they see how amazing your results are etc. on this or any other non-mainstream nutrition program, they're going to get interested...Cheers,Adam

Naomi Most

Hi all, I am trying to figure out what to tell friends about Carb Nite. A little history is that I have been on several programs, obviously with limited long term results (that is why there is a need for CNS) My friends and family are used to my many efforts as well as often being termed the crazy work out girl in my different groups of friends. (I have converted a few but most think a good walk is all they need ::))

Mmmhmmm. I got those friends too.

Admittedly until you read all of the research behind CNS, eating bacon, heavy cream, cheeses etc…gets unwanted responses from the masses. ”Doing Atkins huh?” As well as it spurring their need to counsel on nutrition and other opinions (most of which I don’t care to hear) So my question to everyone is this: what are you telling people about your CNS journey, or are you keeping mum?

I used to use the looks and glares as an excuse to get my rebellious side up, telling people with total confidence, "actually, there's never been any proven link between cholesterol and heart disease."  For example.These days, though, I ask for the heavy cream to put in my coffee, I get a quizzical look, and I just smile as if I'm one of those people who doesn't have to give a damn about what I eat, because I'm "naturally skinny".  (Ha ha!  As if...)That probably doesn't help you at all, but I thought I'd share my perspective.  🙂

I am usually an all in type of personality, I read everything I can about my interests and obsess a bit until I feel I grasp a concept fully. Fortunately my fiancé (Powerlifter) has also been educating on Kiefers programs and is doing CBL so I have a knowledgeable person to bounce things off of, and I have someone to enjoy carb nite with.  (By the way a Carb Nite/Date Night is awesome!!)It’s tempting to tell people it’s really none of their business, but I know that is rude. I kind of want to keep things to myself for a while. Especially until I grasp the knowledge and research behind the program better as well as have some results to back it up. (I am not sure I will ever be able to spout the research like Kiefer but we all can dream a bit!)

I think you just have to play it how you feel it.I do worry that a lot of people "fall off the wagon" because their friends and relatives are not just unsupportive, they can be downright hostile.  It makes me wonder whether the type of people who are capable of being fully compliant with ANY diet program belong only to certain stubborn, self-assured personality types.

Most times, when confronted about eating a “low carb diet”, i usually just say… “well, kinda, but not exactly… I actually just time my carbs around my training sessions in order to get the most beneficial results… has to do with hormonal responses, insulin and fat burning.”that usually gives them piece of mind... and if they are really interested, they'll ask more questions (which tells me that they aren't one of those jerks that just wants to bash everything you do.)  90% of the time, people say something like "Oh, i could never give up my morning bagel."  and i just chuckle and say "I thought the same thing... until i started getting results." ;D

AdamFiddler

I do worry that a lot of people "fall off the wagon" because their friends and relatives are not just unsupportive, they can be downright hostile.  It makes me wonder whether the type of people who are capable of being fully compliant with ANY diet program belong only to certain stubborn, self-assured personality types.

Honestly this is the shit that gets to me the most.  There are so many people out there who feel like crap about themselves, finally admit it and decide to try and do something about it and either lose weight, get stronger, etc. and then are met with resistance from people that should be their "friends".  I assume you're talking about close friends etc.  when you say this is a problem.  In my view your friends, if they are actually friends, will either get interested, remain neutral, or just shut the fuck up and get out of the way and be there for you no matter what happens.  I was pretty lucky in that I was actually introduced to the "underground" nutrition ideas by friends of mine, but I really feel for people who constantly hear bullshit from those around them.  With that said, one of the first things I did when I decided to commit to my health and strength goals was sit down and make a list of things I wasn't willing to do anymore in pursuit of achieving them.  "Listening to people who aren't getting the results I want or who don't walk it like they talk it" was definitely at the top of the list and honestly making this list was probably the most helpful thing I did because all of the sudden "what my friends would think" wasn't even an issue anymore, it didn't even register, I just decided I wasn't willing to engage it.-Adam

NewJenn

Thanks for the input everyone, alot of good suggestions.I had a few (real) friends ask me what I was doing because they already noticed a change, (and because I was drinking sf lemonade on girls night) I gave them a little information and they were receptive and supportive. One girl brought some very off limits treats, and when I said no thank you, you could tell she was a little put off, (yes she is a major food pusher) but one of the other girls piped in and said I was on a nutritional program experimenting with insulin and cortisol so I can’t eat things like that right now....I about fell out of my seat! I guess people do pay attention more than we think they do.I have always marched to my own drummer, so I have no issue paving the way for others. I don’t need others to buy into my thoughts or whatever I am currently doing. All I ask is they respect my decisions as I do theirs.

tlfoxy

Thanks for the input everyone, alot of good suggestions.I had a few (real) friends ask me what I was doing because they already noticed a change, (and because I was drinking sf lemonade on girls night) I gave them a little information and they were receptive and supportive. One girl brought some very off limits treats, and when I said no thank you, you could tell she was a little put off, (yes she is a major food pusher) but one of the other girls piped in and said I was on a nutritional program experimenting with insulin and cortisol so I can’t eat things like that right now....I about fell out of my seat! I guess people do pay attention more than we think they do.I have always marched to my own drummer, so I have no issue paving the way for others. I don’t need others to buy into my thoughts or whatever I am currently doing. All I ask is they respect my decisions as I do theirs.

I agree with all of the statements made in this thread.  I too have a couple of friends that are "Food Pushers"  but they are just trying to be A'holes.  It's the whole misery loves company thing for them.  I live with someone who loves to bake and always has pastries on the counters and she is always trying to get me to taste them.  And then, like you, I have other friends that understand what I am doing and are supportive.Almost militant in their support.  Keeping me accountable whether I want it or not.  I also think they also have other motives.  I am now the Designated Driver / baby sitter whenever we go out.I am encouraged by your experiences and thoughts, as they are similar to mine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

What to tell people about the program?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?