Workout program on carb nite

• This topic has 11 voices and 24 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

hotshot23
    Participant

What is a good workout program to do while on carb nite? Weighlifting, HIIT, etc. Looking for something to do 3-4 days per week, to help tone the body and retain muscle mass while on carb nite. Also, would you modify carb nite if you are on a weightlifting program, maybe carbs after lifting, etc.Thanks for any advice.

masZUL
    Participant

I'm a firm believer that your diet is way more important than your work out regimen so I don't think it matters what you do as much as that you do something that keeps you interested and motivated.  If I were to do a 3 day split it'd probably be:Chest & BisBack & TrisLegs & Shoulders (I like to train non-competing muscles together so that I can keep my rest periods to a minimum)DO NOT eat carbs if you're on CNS (except on your designated carb nights), otherwise you defeat the purpose of the diet and have essentially switch to a back-loading diet.

Jerad

Train like you're still trying to build muscle.

Naomi Most

What is a good workout program to do while on carb nite? Weighlifting, HIIT, etc. Looking for something to do 3-4 days per week, to help tone the body and retain muscle mass while on carb nite. Also, would you modify carb nite if you are on a weightlifting program, maybe carbs after lifting, etc.Thanks for any advice.

Yeah, as Jerad said, "Train like you're still trying to build muscle."  Just don't bank on getting the same strength and lean mass gains that you would while eating carbs.If you modify Carb Nite at all, you're either switching to Carb Back-Loading (as masZUL said) or you're just Doin It Wrong...You gotta get totally clear on your goals and then be okay with that. If you're into fat loss right now, just do fat loss. If you're into *some* fat loss and more lean mass gain, do Carb Back-Loading. If you want to just get crazy strong without any regard for how fat you get... you probably already know what to do.

Jtt
    Participant

Just finshed a four month stint with Eric Cressey's maximum strength program while on carb nite. Workouts were difficult, but oddly enough I did gain strength and muscle while on a fat loss diet. Weight went from 210 to 204, but the way my clothes fit, observations from the wife, and mirror checks spoke of a lot more fat loss with the addition of muscle gain.On carbnite, I suggest lift heavy and you'll get the results you want. Just be ready for some grueling workouts on the days rigt before your scheduled carb nite.

Damon Amato
    Participant

good to know, thanks.  did you reduce volume or shorten workouts?  How was your energy level?

calebsmitty

High volume bodybuilding training is very difficult on Carb Nite.  I tried multiple methods while on Carb Nite for 3 months.  I was only lifting 3 days a week and no cardio due to work/time constraints.  Mostly high volume work to re condition myself for work capacity.  In retrospect I should have stayed with 531 and tried to maintain my strength.  I lost alot of my strength on Carb Nite as expected with a 35 lb. loss.

Jtt
    Participant

I did the full workouts every time, but energy levels decreased towards as I got further away from my previous carbnite.Lifting heavy as I could did help me with muscle retention and an increase in strength.Beginning of carbnite:box squat 405bench 2753 rep max chinup BW +85Dl 4954 mos later while on carbnite the entire timebox squat 405 (form was a lot better and faster out of the hole)bench 2953 rep max chinup BW +110Dl 515I'm guessing results would have been better doing carb backloading, but doing carbnite resulted in a slight increase in muscle mass + a decrease in fat.

nz6stringaxe

I did the full workouts every time, but energy levels decreased towards as I got further away from my previous carbnite.Lifting heavy as I could did help me with muscle retention and an increase in strength.Beginning of carbnite:box squat 405bench 2753 rep max chinup BW +85Dl 4954 mos later while on carbnite the entire timebox squat 405 (form was a lot better and faster out of the hole)bench 2953 rep max chinup BW +110Dl 515I'm guessing results would have been better doing carb backloading, but doing carbnite resulted in a slight increase in muscle mass + a decrease in fat.

JTT, would you mind sharing an estimate of your fat/protein intake as a reference to bodyweight (i.e. 1g/lb of bw)?

Jtt
    Participant

no worries.I weighed in about 210 at the beginning and was around 204 at the end.  Outside of keeping carbs below 30gs a day, I didin't really measure hardcore my protein and fats.  I can roughly say that I put down bout 100-150 grams each of protein and fat per day, with mostly more fat that protein.This is the 2nd time I've done Carbnite, and had the best results following the meal plans Keifer outlined.I hope that helps!-JT

Richard Schmitt

no worries.I weighed in about 210 at the beginning and was around 204 at the end.  Outside of keeping carbs below 30gs a day, I didin't really measure hardcore my protein and fats.  I can roughly say that I put down bout 100-150 grams each of protein and fat per day, with mostly more fat that protein.This is the 2nd time I've done Carbnite, and had the best results following the meal plans Keifer outlined.I hope that helps!-JT

What would your normal day look like? With the certain foods you take in? Especially with the fats?

Jtt
    Participant

normal day.2-3 cups coffee with 1-2 tbs of heavy whipping cream (drank this from bout 6am - 9am)breakfast (btwn 10a to 12p) breakfast burrito w/ low carb tortilla, 2 eggs, 1 ounce of cheese, 1 chicken sausage or 2 - 3 slices of baconlunch (2-3ish)spinach salad with cheese, (spinach dip is my source of fats) some protein source (chicken breast, .5lb burger, tri-tip etc)lift (4.30 - 6pm)PW - 2 scoops of ON whey, 5g of creatine, glutamine, and leucineDinnerhalf a rotisserie chicken, bacon ( or other source of fats), &some sort of green veggie (spinach, brussel sprouts, asparagus)I take 4-5gs of fishoil at each meal and 2 multi vitamins a day.Please keep in mind I weigh about 205 @ 12-15% bf. I could have prolly have eaten less and lost more weight, but oh well.

soulmind

I'm doing the Mike O'Hearn power bodybuilding routine from bodybuilding.com but I've tweaked it a little bit.  I only workout on Carb Nite and the two following nights due to my energy being lower the farther away I get from eating carbs.  I believe this allows me to get the most out of the carbs by doing a powerlifting style workout before I consume them.  Each day is based around one of the three main lifts: bench, squat, and dead.  I am also going to alternate which lift I do before my Carb Nite so each muscle group gets a boost from the carbs I consume.  High weight, low reps, lots of sets… I am sore.

soulmind

Another Carb Nite, another jillion squats.  I am sore and content.  If you're ever in Tucson go to Pasco's and get a Big Boy Burger.  It's essentially eggs benedict on a burger… fucking awesome.

Richard Schmitt

I might do that, I have family in AZ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Workout program on carb nite

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?