Yoga

• This topic has 6 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

soulmind

I was wondering if anyone here does yoga and what the general consensus is on this board.  I personally try to do one session a week to work on my flexibility and get all the “kinks” out of my body.

robhally

I love yoga!!! I feel like guys especially have some phobia of trying yoga, but that is so wrong! Hot yoga is my favorite by far. Doing yoga has honestly increased my performance in just about everything else I do.

6by6

I think guys have an aversion to it cuz its gay hippie shit, but I agree it is very helpful and I was actually thinking of doing it once a week to help with my squat depth.

soulmind

Things that make you go “OH MY GOD!”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqK27esQTSI

Richard Schmitt

I personally love doing yoga as well, it's an hour in half of my time to not worry about anything, to honestly feel calm. I would do the P90x yoga a couple times during the week when I have the time or stressed out.

amedio

I have really been considering taking yoga due to recent lack of flexibility. I used to be extremely flexible, but after back surgery, My lower body is just still and tight. I am trying to get my girlfriend involved too. She like a lot of us made several New Years' resolutions.

Naomi Most

I was wondering if anyone here does yoga and what the general consensus is on this board.  I personally try to do one session a week to work on my flexibility and get all the "kinks" out of my body.

Being a woman who "exercises", I of course do lots of yoga in between aerobics classes.  🙂Kidding.I just did my first yoga class in more than a year the other day. It felt great... Looking forward to my next class.I think Yoga is useful for functional fitness in many, many ways, with the caveat being that not all yoga styles are created equal, and some yoga teachers are... not good.

Naomi Most

Things that make you go "OH MY GOD!"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqK27esQTSI

Wowww... What i notice most of all is her immense grace in transitioning between these poses. She's more flexible than my toddler, who is made of jelly, and strong in every tiny little muscle in her body.Inspiring.(And for those of you who think yoga is useless or just for tricks, try this challenge and see where you measure up in functional fitness...)

Chris

I was reading about alot of fighters and oly lifters who train very hard 6-7 days a week. and once they start to feel they are getting burnt out, that they do pilates and yoga for a few days as they say its help with recovery far better than just doing nothing.I got Yoga for BJJ, i plan on doing on off days and its only 30min long

amedio

I was reading about alot of fighters and oly lifters who train very hard 6-7 days a week. and once they start to feel they are getting burnt out, that they do pilates and yoga for a few days as they say its help with recovery far better than just doing nothing.I got Yoga for BJJ, i plan on doing on off days and its only 30min long

Did you buy a video or something. I was considering a book and a yoga mat. Haha! I am not exactly sure I am not exactly ready for my 6'6'' frame to be seen doing yoga at the local gym.  :-[

Chris

Yes its a DVD and the guy just talks the whole way though and shows you what you are ment to be doing.http://yogaforfighters.com/he is a BJJ black belt and has taken 20 yoga moves that he feels work well with bjj and turned it into a routine.

Naomi Most

I was reading about alot of fighters and oly lifters who train very hard 6-7 days a week. and once they start to feel they are getting burnt out, that they do pilates and yoga for a few days as they say its help with recovery far better than just doing nothing.

I totally, totally agree.

Kiefer
    Participant

Agree or not, I'd like to see some studies on whether “doing nothing” or “doing yoga” helps someone recover faster from nervous system or energy system burnout. I don't know of any physiological reason this might be the case* (although it might be). What I would hate to see in the DH forums is “opinion” doubling as proof.In the hopper is an article on the science of stretching, much of which would apply to yoga moves, and much of which explains why chronic yoga practitioners normally have thin, wiry muscles (whether they're defined or not).(*Actually, now that I think about it, I can see the possibility of a physiological reason why this might be true, not for energy-system burnout but for nervous system burnout...another article is brewing.)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Yoga

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?