Best program You’ve ever tried.

• This topic has 13 voices and 40 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

AciD

Short and simple:What is THE best program in case of hypertrophy for YOU. That worked best, you put on a lot of muscle.Preferably with CBL on board!Cheers!

Chuck

Simple for me- 5X5

Bartleby83

Bill Stars method of 5×5 on day1, 2×5 on day2 and working up to a 5rm on day3. Exercises bench or a press, chins or rows and back or front squat + on every day I do abs (single exercise or a circuit).In general I do this after my o-lift training.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I second 5×5.  I have not used any other program that is better.  To be honest with you, I had the worst results with shockwave.  The heavy duty version was good, but the I got nowhere with the standard version.

AciD

Will 5×5 be good at cutting calories phase? Can you put here example of 5×5 that you did or some good links to read about it?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I am currently doing a 5×5 and I am doing strength accumulation, which I am not sure if I would call it cutting to same extent you are with Carb Nite, but here it goes:Monday (Legs)5x5 Squats (I prefer high bar squats, but low bar is fine too)Assitance Work (3 sets of each):Front SquatsGood MorningsRomanian DeadliftsKiefer's Calf Routine (find it here:  http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/137/no-more-wimpy-calves/)Tuesday (Chest+Abs)5x5 Bench PressAssistance Work (3 sets of each):Floor PressClose-Grip Incline Bench PressDips (elbows out)Cable Cross Overs or FlyesDragon FlagHeavy Wood Chopper Negatives (3-5 reps)Wednesday (Back)5x5 Bent Over Row (I do not have enough energy to do 5x5 deadlifts)Assitance Work (3 sets of each):Dumbell Rows (2 sets of regular rows, 1 set of Kroc Rows)High Cable rowsWide Grip PulldownsClose Grip PulldownsPullups (1 set to failuire)Deadlifts (around 3-4 reps)Reverse Hyper MachineThursday (Shoulders+Abs)5x5 Standing Overhead PressAssitance Work (3 sets of each):Incline PressBradford PressLateral Raise Machine (2 sets normal, 1 set heavy negatives)Lateral Swings (Heavy dumbells, do a tiny portion of a lateral raise, 1 set for about 20 reps)Rear Delt machineJohn Meadows Rear Delt Drop SetsFinisher (60 reps of rear delt swings, half the dumbells 30 reps, half the weight again 10 full rear flyes, this done face down on an incline bench)Dragon FlagHeavy Woodchopper NegativesFriday (Arms+Traps)5x5 Close Grip Bench PressAssitance Work (3 sets of each)Dips (Elbows In)Tricep Cable ExtenstionHammer CurlPreacher CurlStanding Barbell CurlShrugs (5 sets for varying reps)Grip4orce Hammer Curl (1 set)Grip4orce Reverse Curl (2 sets for very high reps, when you can no longer curl with the Grip4orce or Fat Grip take it off and go failure with just the bar)5x5 exercises are done in a pyramid fashionThis is a lot of volume, but I only go to failure on the small moves and never on any leg exercises.  I typically rest about 1 minute between each set and two minutes in between each 5x5 set.  It takes me just over an hour to complete each workout.

Richard Schmitt

Damn sounds like a pretty good session, you backload after every workout?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Damn sounds like a pretty good session, you backload after every workout?

Yea I backload after every single workout.  I probably could cut a backload out after the shoulder workout, but I am pleased with how I am leaning out.  It's slow, but I'm not in a hurry.

Richard Schmitt

I envy that…I thought doing CNS would get me there, but yeah not really a dent. Not sure what to do or how to do it now? Debating with sticking with CNS till the end of this month or try doing CBL again. Just getting a good rhythm down for a training program and making sure I backload correctly.

AciD

I am not doing carb nite, just CBL with calories counting and it works perfectly as well.2,1k kcal on off day and 2,4k kcal on Training day

italianbx

Magnusson/Ortmayer...designed for the deadlift, but can be applied to ANYTHING.  Wanna get strong?  This is a no-nonsense approach to becoming an elite strength athlete.

AdamFiddler

Magnusson/Ortmayer...designed for the deadlift, but can be applied to ANYTHING.  Wanna get strong?  This is a no-nonsense approach to becoming an elite strength athlete.

Don't know if outside links are allowed (especially to places Kiefer likes to make fun of his podcast), but a link to a thread from the T-Nation forum with a lot of detailed posts discussing the Ortmayer routine and a similar routine Pavel Tsatsouline put together for Dragon Door:  http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/magnusson_ortmayer_deadlift_routine_-Adam

Damon Amato
    Participant

Outside links are fine as long as you aren't selling something.

Tomahawk

I used to gain a lot of weight quickly with Doggcrapp. Seem to do well with HIT. Interested to try Kiefer's modified version of Heavy Duty down the road. Shockwave has been treating really well.

Nicholas E bucci
    Participant

@ ibob, don't you fee like your overtraining? With regards to shoulders, I've always felt that doing a workout sandwiched the day before or after chest/back/arm session overtrained me. Even though you're not aiming to work you shoulders during back day, any rowing motion will undoubtedly hit you rear delts. And following your shoulder day close grip bench/dips are going to hit you anterior delt. Not to mention any work as far as picking up dumbells or simply holding your arms in an static postion as you perform another lift. I would love to do a split like you have listed, I just know I can't do that many upper body days back to back to back because my shoulder will feel like hell. Do you feel like your still getting stronger?? Maybe CBL helps with recovery. Just curious to what you think…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best program You’ve ever tried.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?